Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2015, 04:51 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990 View Post
Porsche obviously frowns on people snacking in their cars. I think there are two reasons:

1. If you have ever been in a car where the occupants have spilled drinks and left crumbs and food wrappers it is messy. If you have ever been to Germany, you know the Germans liker order.
2. It detracts from the driving experience. Snacking while driving a Porsche would be like going on a date with a beautiful woman and spending your time reading texts.
On the flip side - there are many of us who enjoy a nice, cool beverage when we drive and having a quality cup holder allows us to spend more time in the car instead of having to pull over now and then to get a drink.
If you were on a date with a beautiful woman, where would you take her? Many of us would take her to a fine restaurant - to enjoy a nice beverage! And since my car IS my beautiful woman (besides my wife), I'd like to enjoy a nice beverage with her.

Old 01-09-2015, 06:20 AM   #42
On the slippery slope

Garage
Giller, Since you are Canadian, you must mean beer
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 12:51 AM   #43

It's a beautiful car Wulf, and I'm happy to see you're sticking to your guns.
You've worked hard, you bought it, you take care of it, you appear to enjoy it. If it brings you pleasure, then you deserve it! Life is just too short!
I wonder.... If you spent the same amount of money on a big ring for her would she refuse to wear it and complain of its impracticality?

Keep driving and smiling.
Old 01-11-2015, 01:12 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Box View Post
Many years ago I owned a Harley Sportster that I bought brand new when I was single. It had custom gold leaf and pinstriped paint with the Harley Eagle sissy bar. I put chrome drag pipes on it and rode it to Mexico and had leather hand tooled saddle bags with the Harley Eagle made for it. I loved riding it and made up things to do just to get on it.
After a couple of years owning it I got married and my new wife didn't like the bike. It was too loud and too dangerous for her and she wouldn't go near it. I finally gave in and sold the bike and bought her a nice ring with the money from the sale.
Our marriage didn't last and now she's gone and so's the bike and I sure do miss that bike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRISP357 View Post
I don't know, kind of seems like there may be deeper problems and she's using the car as an easy outlet. I'm no therapist but I don't think any toy is worth risking the end of real love. You may have to let go for now. It will be heart breaking every time you see someone else with one but remember, sure, they have a wife but you have a Porsche!
PS: these had me in tears!
Old 01-11-2015, 10:53 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroman1969 View Post
It's a beautiful car Wulf, and I'm happy to see you're sticking to your guns.
You've worked hard, you bought it, you take care of it, you appear to enjoy it. If it brings you pleasure, then you deserve it! Life is just too short!
I wonder.... If you spent the same amount of money on a big ring for her would she refuse to wear it and complain of its impracticality?

Keep driving and smiling.

Thanks! A week of real winter here this past week made things a little difficult. Then, finally, this morning, after five days of waiting impatiently for the roads and weather to clear, was able to break free of the stable and take it out at sunrise. It's a pretty therapeutic experience behind that wheel. Hopefully old man winter shows some mercy on my tortured soul. it is unfortunate that I think so highly of the driving experience. I find the slogan very fitting. There really is no substitute.
Wulf190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 04:03 PM   #46

The "affair" continues. Just couldn't manage to get home after work, taking me over 2 hours to get home on an 8 minute drive. Really put the foot into it on a couple of empty S curves and got to know it's actual limits VERY clearly. Last time I had that much fun behind the wheel was driving my pretty fast go kart as a kid, and even that doesn't compare to the handling of this thing. Like I suspected it might, when the back end breaks free, it's really going to start sliding quick..but, very predictable and correctible I found, even after spinning it 180 degrees. Not planning any more of these kind of thrill rides in the future I think. I see why there's plenty of mashed up ones to get parts from. But, man, what a machine.
Old 04-06-2015, 05:51 AM   #47

Have put on a few thousand miles now, and took the Box out for the 120 mile ride to the parents house for first time yesterday. First extended interstate driving and took a few blacktop roads out near where I grew up that I knew well. Kind of living the dream I have to say taking those roads in the Box. Nice long sweeping S curves. The thing makes quick and easy work of driving in fast moving traffic. It was really windy and 'the wedge' --as my wife now calls the car--cut through it like a hot knife through butter. For those that have followed, "the wedge", might be a step forward from what she could, or has, called it, so perhaps a step forward. Still after six months this car does not fail to inspire behind the wheel. A great thing.
Old 04-07-2015, 03:21 PM   #48
2001 Boxster S

I hope your wife has now ridden in the car by now? It's a shame she's being too harsh on something you enjoy so much.

I'm lucky my wife was the one who really encouraged me to buy the car. She wasn't so thrilled when the repair bills came in though. Still, every time she rides on it and receives the look of appreciation from onlookers (on the car not my wife...I hope), she kinda understands.

She won't be driving it ever though...and that's probably a good thing for the both of them!
Dgnarvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 04:53 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgnarvs View Post
I hope your wife has now ridden in the car by now? It's a shame she's being too harsh on something you enjoy so much.

I'm lucky my wife was the one who really encouraged me to buy the car. She wasn't so thrilled when the repair bills came in though. Still, every time she rides on it and receives the look of appreciation from onlookers (on the car not my wife...I hope), she kinda understands.

She won't be driving it ever though...and that's probably a good thing for the both of them!

The ride: No, Still holding out...but I have made strides at dispelling the notion of repair costs by snagging parts online and doing my own work, which so far is saving me hundreds of dollars on more than one occasion. I see that they like to be maintained, so no problem doing it as I enjoy the work as long as I am not doing something like pulling the engine or trans or something that is impossible in my driveway.

I dont ask if she wants to get in and she doesn't ask to...so I just get in myself..it's a drivers car anyway, so fine by me.

Replacing my own ignition coil tomorrow which hopefully cures a cylinder 3 misfire cel code. Will ride the scooter to work instead

Spent a couple hours polishing an aluminum trim ring on one of the front rims where the clear coat is missing. Refinishing this myself too. It already looks 100% better and I am only done with most of the surface prep part of the job. Also restored the surface of the center caps which look a ton better. And de-greased the bottom of the oil pan area and variocam which looked like it hadn't been done in a long time.
Old 04-14-2015, 02:52 PM   #50

Yanked the #3 ignition coil and found that it looked like many others I looked at online, all cracked and trashed. Put a new one in it and after a minute or so of 'figuring itself out again' the engine once again runs like a sewing machine. Most excellent.

To clear the code out of the OBC, I hooked up the Durametric tool to it for the first time. Very cool accessory to have I must say. It doused the CEL, cleared the misfire codes and while I was at it, I killed off the Airbag light from passenger seat relay fault....Nice. I knew that thing would come in handy. Too bad I accidentally switched my speedo/odo to Kilometers..oops. Just a reason to use the tool again I think.