Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2014, 10:42 AM   #1
2002 Boxster S

Aftermarket heated seats

I had aftermarket seat heaters installed in my Boxster. Cost was $600 for all parts and labour. The installer was able to install the controls right under the climate control. I'm very happy with the results.

Old 10-19-2014, 10:54 AM   #2

(deleted...commercial, wrong place for that) sry

Last edited by Nine8Six; 10-19-2014 at 12:11 PM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottacat View Post
I had aftermarket seat heaters installed in my Boxster. Cost was $600 for all parts and labour. The installer was able to install the controls right under the climate control. I'm very happy with the results.

I have exactly the same set up in my car, they really work (crazy hot on high) and really extend the range of acceptable top-down temps
Chronohunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:48 AM   #4

What brand seat heaters did they use?

I am wanting to add some to my sport seats.
papasmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 09:07 AM   #5

Where can I get that kit?
Bryanf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 11:01 AM   #6

Search ebay to give you an idea of what's on the market. Keyword Seat heater. They are all the same thing really and install the same. Even got the dual temp (I recommend!)

sweet seat retrofit!!!
Old 12-18-2014, 01:57 PM   #7

This is on of the projects I am planning to do, after I get other things squared away. The button placement and design look great!
Old 12-18-2014, 04:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Search ebay to give you an idea of what's on the market. Keyword Seat heater. They are all the same thing really and install the same. Even got the dual temp (I recommend!)

sweet seat retrofit!!!

Only $58, does that sound right?
Bryanf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 04:51 PM   #9
inveniam viam aut faciam

FWIW, I got a set of the seat heater kits from heaterseats.com years ago. They claim their OE kits are factory installed in new Porsches, Audis and other makes. I was very impressed with the quality of the heater pads and included wiring. I installed them in my wife's GMC Jimmy. Installation was pretty straightforward and you can cut these pads to fit, unlike some others. That was a Christmas present for her, and honestly I think it was the one present that she used every day in winter. If I didn't already have them in my Boxster, I wouldn't hesitate to use their kits. You might be able to use the Porsche factory switches with them, or just put the switches in the batwing.
Old 12-19-2014, 01:44 PM   #10

I also install heartseats.com kit in my Tacoma, and they were great.
I thought of using factory switches in the Boxster if they work, if not, the regular round ones look good also.
Old 12-19-2014, 05:03 PM   #11

Heated seats are a great addition. I think the switches look good the way you mounted them. I think that is the stock location for the switches on a 996.

I went for the OEM look and feel and used these instructions to install mine: Dennis Vogel: Projects - Boxster Heated Seats

To save money, see if you can find someone who is selling a used set of seats with the heaters. The seats from a Carrera work too, so there are opportunities out there. Even if the leather is in bad shape on the seats you buy, you can swap the leather from your seats to freshen them up. Here's a post with some of the lessons I learned:

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/49826-seat-heater-install-seat-leather-swap.html

I ended up selling my leftovers and recouped most of my cost. If you find a good part out, you can obtain the switches, connectors and most of the other electrical parts at a good price.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 05:49 PM   #12
inveniam viam aut faciam

Or you can just buy the nice black full leather heated seats I have in the classifieds complete with complete harnesses and switches and bolt them. Boom! All factory and done in an hour. Just sayin'...
Old 12-19-2014, 06:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qmulus View Post
Or you can just buy the nice black full leather heated seats I have in the classifieds complete with complete harnesses and switches and bolt them. Boom! All factory and done in an hour. Just sayin'...
If I was doing this project again, I would snap up your offer.

Running the harness (if you do it the way Denis Vogel suggests) will take a bit more than an hour, but having them already to go would be a huge time saver. I was soldering wires for about two nights when I was making my harnesses. Also, the full leather seats would be a nice upgrade for most people.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 08:53 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanf View Post
Only $58, does that sound right?
yea, not high tech whatsoever... nichrome wire, voltage regulator of some sort, few switches. You could make your own... just sandwich nichrome wires between two pads of Nomex material (i.e. genuine, from Dupon lol), few simple electronics and off you go... $25

Surely it would be better than stock... mine can take over 10~15min to 'start' heat up my arse (loll the things that one can complain about sometimes...)
Old 01-11-2015, 11:14 AM   #15
inveniam viam aut faciam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
yea, not high tech whatsoever... nichrome wire, voltage regulator of some sort, few switches. You could make your own... just sandwich nichrome wires between two pads of Nomex material (i.e. genuine, from Dupon lol), few simple electronics and off you go... $25

Surely it would be better than stock... mine can take over 10~15min to 'start' heat up my arse (loll the things that one can complain about sometimes...)
The old heated seats from the '80s were made that way. Those also had a nasty habit of breaking and burning holes in seats as they only failed with power, not to mention your ***, on the elements. BTDT. I am not sure what the actual material is made of now, but it is much more durable than the old ones. The way they are configured you can also cut them.

Personally, I would not even think of making my own seat heating elements, especially considering how cheap the good new ones are. I am even taking old (and working) elements out of my Audi quattro seats as I don't want to have to worry about them again when they go back together.

YMMV.

Steve