Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2006, 04:17 PM   #1

GT3 Front bumper OEM or FIBERGLASS?

Hey everyone, I need some opinions on this bumper I recently picked up. The pictures might make it look like OEM, but when I saw it in person, I had doubts. The inside of the bumper had some fiberglass material frayed, but the inside of the bumper wasn't entirely covered. I looked for the serial number, but I couldn't find one. On the spots where the paint was chipped off, the plastic of the bumper was nice and smooth. The bottom has somewhat of an aluminum skid plate (I'm curious if this comes stock with the real GT3s). The front side doesn't have a hole opening like OEM usually has. What do you guys think? Is this real? or purely fiberglass.

MORE INFO:

The seller said that he was told, from the original owner, that it came off of a 2004 GT3 that was recently totalled. I didn't believe him because I remembered seeing the 04's with the newer lights. After a couple days he contacted me to tell me that he made a mistake. He said that that he recently confirmed again with the original owner that it was a 2002 GT3. At this point, I think the seller is lying because after doing some research, I noticed that the 04 GT3's have the turbo lights. It is the 99-01 that seem to have the same lights as our Boxsters.

ralegen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 11:13 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
Easiest way to tell is pick it up...If it flexes then it OEM most likely. The fiberglass is real stiff and does not have much flex to it. Also the picture is the MK1 GT3 which went from 99-01. The 2002 year started with a MKII Bumper which will not fit on our cars and if it does then its fiberglass....

Let me know if i can be of more help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralegen
Hey everyone, I need some opinions on this bumper I recently picked up. The pictures might make it look like OEM, but when I saw it in person, I had doubts. The inside of the bumper had some fiberglass material frayed, but the inside of the bumper wasn't entirely covered. I looked for the serial number, but I couldn't find one. On the spots where the paint was chipped off, the plastic of the bumper was nice and smooth. The bottom has somewhat of an aluminum skid plate (I'm curious if this comes stock with the real GT3s). The front side doesn't have a hole opening like OEM usually has. What do you guys think? Is this real? or purely fiberglass.

MORE INFO:

The seller said that he was told, from the original owner, that it came off of a 2004 GT3 that was recently totalled. I didn't believe him because I remembered seeing the 04's with the newer lights. After a couple days he contacted me to tell me that he made a mistake. He said that that he recently confirmed again with the original owner that it was a 2002 GT3. At this point, I think the seller is lying because after doing some research, I noticed that the 04 GT3's have the turbo lights. It is the 99-01 that seem to have the same lights as our Boxsters.
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 01:44 PM   #3

THere should be a part number on the inside if its OEM.

the serial number would start with 996.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 05:32 PM   #4

I did do the flex test before I posted. It flexes fine. The seller was also told that this was the "upgrade" made exclusively at the dealer. The metal skid plate made me think that this was authentic; however, the serial number is still not to be found (I'll look harder). Do you guys think this skid plate comes factory? I couldn't find anything about it on the net. One thing is for sure, the seller was also selling the rear bumper and the spoiler from the same car.

As I mentioned earlier also, the front "hole" that's present (i believe for the 3rd radiator?) is not on my bumper. Would factory do this on purpose? (I think they wouldn't).
Old 03-20-2006, 06:26 PM   #5

[QUOTE=ralegen] Do you guys think this skid plate comes factory? QUOTE]

I've never seen the boomerang offered as Tequipment but I can't say I'm 100% sure that it never been offered.

http://www.************************************************************/productpage.aspx?pid=101067&name=Boomerang
98Boxster98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 08:24 PM   #6

The skid plate is definitly not OEM I can tell you that much. How much are they asking for the bumper???Is it worth not buying a brand new one? I got mine painted with a lip for $1500....
-Side Skirts
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
Old 03-20-2006, 10:59 PM   #7

I already bought it. But I bought it mainly because of the claims the seller made when he stated that it was from an actually GT3. Honestly I didn't pay too much for it, but in some ways I regret it. Ready for the price? I paid $250 for it. I have a friend who works auto body repair; he's going to paint it for free. I just have to pay for the paint. The cost for the paint is yet to be determined, but I believe that it will be under $100 easy (I think he said around $40). So, for about $300 for a possible "fiberglass" bumper, I'm not too depressed.

Accepting the possible fact that this is fiberglass, I tried to find one on the net to determine its price. Unfortunately, I was unable to find a fiberglass GT3 bumper. Anyone know how much these things go for? I know the OEM goes for an avg of $1K.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:33 PM   #8

BEFORE AND AFTER PICS.
Well, after installing the bumper, I figured out that it was infact fiberglass. However, isn't there hybrid kits out there? I'm thinking that this may be it because the outer surface was very plastic, but the inside looked and feeled like a rough fiber glass cloth. Most importantly, the fit wasn't perfect. I had to push and pull with some force to get it to fit, and all the screws didn't line up properly. However, the majority of the screws got in fine. Tell me what you think everyone.

Thanks
Old 03-24-2006, 12:38 PM   #9

Looks good cant beat the price even if it is fiberglass....I know i was in the market for a fiberglass one and it was gonna run me around $750 non painted. I just opted for the OEM as its less headache to worry about.

But you definitly cant beat $300 Painted i dont care if its fiberglass or not. But it does look OEM to me...
-Side Skirts
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
Old 03-24-2006, 12:46 PM   #10

Looks good... get pics out of the shade plz.
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 04:06 PM   #11

LOL.. I know the pics suck. Once I get it painted, I'll post new pics. But seriously, it does look good. However, there are so many scratches that I need to fix before the paint job. I'm trying to get a hold of some side skirts before the job is done. Really sorry about the pics everyone, but just like Tri Gem 2k, I couldn't wait to take the pics .