Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2016, 03:45 AM   #401
JRL

I like those wheels JJ - they would finish the car IMHO. The only danger I see is adding $$ to what you already have invested.

Are you aware of the PCA DE at R.A. May 28th. I think you might get some interest if you just showed up so folks can see what you have created. Just hanging around the pits with your car might work - no need to enter the event.

I'll probably go up (depending on my next surgery) to watch a buddies $100 K plus 914 / LS 7 (750 HP) creation fly around the track. It is a bad ass racer car.

If I'm able maybe we can hook up somewhere in Alpharetta and do the follow me routine - assuming I can keep up

Randy

JRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 04:24 AM   #402

Thanks Randy,

Yeah seeing as how I can get a discount on them i'll probably bite the bullet and get them, then have my factory wheels refinished and sell them.

I knew there was an event coming up but haven't really looked into it. I'll have to check it out and see if I can just sign up for one day and give the car a shakedown before I try and see how fast it goes

Thanks!
J
BoxsterLS376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 11:27 AM   #403

******************** .. just saw this on sale .. man .. I would be interested except I think I would have a hell of a time getting it legalized here in the commie carb-ifornia state.
nefarious986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 03:08 PM   #404

Quote:
Originally Posted by nefarious986 View Post
******************** .. just saw this on sale .. man .. I would be interested except I think I would have a hell of a time getting it legalized here in the commie carb-ifornia state.
LOL aww come on I don't think it would be that bad!

I'm not sure of the process in Cali, but the car in completely legal here in Georgia, has catalytic converters and everything. All you do here is roll up to the emissions station and point them towards the OBD2 port in the trunk rather then the one under the dashboard. Done and done

Thanks!
J
Old 03-30-2016, 03:36 PM   #405

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterLS376 View Post
LOL aww come on I don't think it would be that bad!

I'm not sure of the process in Cali, but the car in completely legal here in Georgia, has catalytic converters and everything. All you do here is roll up to the emissions station and point them towards the OBD2 port in the trunk rather then the one under the dashboard. Done and done

Thanks!
J
Believe me, i've ridden in a Renegade V8 Boxter and was strongly considering this for myself - I WISH I could buy it. But realistically, there is NO WAY to register this beast in our lovely state...
Dlirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:19 AM   #406

Greetings all,

I've been pretty busy lately and haven't had much of a chance to update this thread, but still making progress on the ol' sled.

Seems like it has been going on for weeks but looks like I've finally finished up my cold air box this weekend. What a PITA! If you guys are planning on doing a cold air box which I highly recommend, then I suggest doing it while the engine is OUT!!! After weeks of trial and error looks like I've got a finished working box, which ain't the prettiest thin out there but it is strong and functional which is what I was going for.

I can post up some pictures if you're interested in seeing it, but as-is part of it is in the car and I'm not pulling it back out just to take pictures of it!!

Also have an oil cooler setup on the way which will be nice to add a bit more cooling and capacity to the oil system. I'll get pictures of that setup but look pretty straight forward.

Last but not least in preparation for the 1/2 mile drag event I'm going to I've got a new set of wheels and tires on order, decided to go with the BBS SR's which I hope will look good. Those should be here by the end of the week and i'll definitely post pictures once they are on!

If anyone is interested in the factory wheels from my car I'm going to have them refinished and sell them to whoever may need a set, what's a fair price for a set of 17" twist wheels refinished - $800? Or I could sell them as is if you need some spare track wheels.

Thanks
J
Old 04-18-2016, 10:28 AM   #407

Your 17 inch wheels are actually worth a lot of money in their current condition. The spec Boxster boys want to run square and will pay top dollar for your rear rims in any condition as long as they're not bent.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 12:35 PM   #408

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour View Post
Your 17 inch wheels are actually worth a lot of money in their current condition. The spec Boxster boys want to run square and will pay top dollar for your rear rims in any condition as long as they're not bent.
Cool well point them my way... new wheels should be here by the end of the week!

THANKS!
J
Old 04-20-2016, 03:08 PM   #409

Car is dirty... but the wheels are clean!

Hey everyone,

A little something just arrived today and couldn't help it... w00T w00T!

Whaddaya think?!!?!

Annnnd of course a quickie video which should be available shortly!

https://youtu.be/Dml5GJtIw9w

Thanks
J

Last edited by BoxsterLS376; 04-20-2016 at 03:11 PM.
Old 04-20-2016, 03:46 PM   #410

I'm considering a build like this, I just sold my LS6, G50, 996 Suspension, 1973 Porsche 914.
I'm wondering how the car handle around the track given the new power-plant ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mqj6l-49wAI
driveability is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 04:24 PM   #411
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Love the wheels!! If I ever wanted to go aftermarket, these would be a great choice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 04:36 AM   #412
JRL

Perfection - those wheels look super - great choice.

Are you still going to Clayton?

You ought to drive up to Road Atlanta at the end of the month to show your car at the Chin DE. I bet there will be some folks attending that will be very interested in your car.

I'm planing to go up Saturday to see my buddy run his 700 HP LS powered 914 - it is a crazy build - one of those spare no cost builds.
Old 04-21-2016, 04:55 AM   #413
JRL

Oh yeah I don't think I have commented on the race / sports exhaust - AWESOME
Old 04-21-2016, 09:05 AM   #414

Thanks everyone! I'm pretty happy overall and would highly recommend the setup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveability View Post
I'm considering a build like this, I just sold my LS6, G50, 996 Suspension, 1973 Porsche 914.
I'm wondering how the car handle around the track given the new power-plant ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mqj6l-49wAI
I think if set up properly for track use a V8 Boxster would be the bees knees! The car handles very well with the new motor and I'm sure a bit of track specific modification would go a long way. We work on quite a few 914's at my shop and have to say the Boxster is light years ahead of the 914 in stock form. Once you modify the crap out of anything it will work well, but the Boxster S works very well out of the box and keeps getting better the more you do to it!

Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grc0456 View Post
Love the wheels!! If I ever wanted to go aftermarket, these would be a great choice.
I tell you what, bang for the buck you just can't go wrong! I was able to use our dealer account at Tire Rack and got an even better deal then they list. My boss ordered some tires to so we qualified for freight shipping. Total for the wheels and tires shipped was under $1500~ Even at full retail these are a steal, anyone can get a set from Tire Rack delivered for about $1700 with tires mounted, balanced etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRL View Post
Perfection - those wheels look super - great choice.

Are you still going to Clayton?

You ought to drive up to Road Atlanta at the end of the month to show your car at the Chin DE. I bet there will be some folks attending that will be very interested in your car.

I'm planing to go up Saturday to see my buddy run his 700 HP LS powered 914 - it is a crazy build - one of those spare no cost builds.
Yessir, I'm signed up for Saturday only though and unless something very special happens probably won't be there Sunday.

I was thinking about going up to the Mitty this weekend but hadn't planned on anything else at this point. I've gotten myself pretty busy lately so I'm just trying to make sure everything is done on my car so I can go fast safely and time is running out. I am still trying to get the car tuned before I go out there too. I'm sure your buddy's 914 is a hoot

Quote:
Oh yeah I don't think I have commented on the race / sports exhaust - AWESOME
Thanks man, it is awesome As soon as I get a few other things done I'm probably going to build another exhaust which will help to quiet it down a bit, but make it loud again at the flip of a switch Just takes time and money!
Old 04-22-2016, 04:05 AM   #415
JRL

JJ if your intent is to market the car I think the Chin event is a better venue than the Mitty - but I may be wrong

I have attended the Mitty so many times I can't count them and from my observations it isn't a place to sell a modern hot rod. Those folks are interested in "old" hot rods. The free time is spent working on their cars to get ready for the next session.

Chin on the other hand is loaded with big bucks guys. There is a lot of down time between sessions and the guys typically don't do much to their cars when they are waiting - they roam the paddock and drool over others cars.

I'd be shocked if you don't have some serious interest. But again I may be wrong

If you decide to run up for the Chin DE let me know so we can possibly hook up.
Old 04-22-2016, 04:49 AM   #416

Quote:
JJ if your intent is to market the car I think the Chin event is a better venue than the Mitty - but I may be wrong

I have attended the Mitty so many times I can't count them and from my observations it isn't a place to sell a modern hot rod. Those folks are interested in "old" hot rods. The free time is spent working on their cars to get ready for the next session.

Chin on the other hand is loaded with big bucks guys. There is a lot of down time between sessions and the guys typically don't do much to their cars when they are waiting - they roam the paddock and drool over others cars.

I'd be shocked if you don't have some serious interest. But again I may be wrong

If you decide to run up for the Chin DE let me know so we can possibly hook up.
Oh I'm sure you are correct! My time/plans recently haven't been surrounding marketing the car to be honest. We work on a lot of old cars at our shop so going to the Mitty is just for fun and to enjoy the classics. Although I just realized they are charging like $45 to get into the Mitty this year and debating weather or not to go. They are awesome cars but it is pretty much the same stuff every year.

I should probably go to the Chin event because I really should sell the car before I spend to much on it Plus that was the original plan for the car but since I got signed up for the half mile event I've been focusing more on getting the car done and enjoying it! Got almost 4,000 miles on the conversion now so I think most of the bugs are worked out and I'm just really fine tuning it.

Got the car at the shop today and going to give it a once over and do some preventative maintenance, clean the air filter, and swap out the axles for a new set just in case. I haven't had any problems with them since I installed the spacers, but for what they cost it is totally worth it to install a new set rather then to risk having a problem that would disable the car. Keep the ones that are in there as spares.

I'll do some digging on the Chin event and see if I can make it.

Thanks!
J
Old 04-23-2016, 02:15 AM   #417

Hi John,

if you still want to sale, maybe it's a good idea to get the car promoted on YouTube. For example in the smoking tyre channel of Matt Farah: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheSmokingTire

Check the OneTake channel there.

Regards, Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 05:38 AM   #418

Thanks Markus, i'll look into that! It's funny though because the Wanna Go Fast people just sent me an email yesterday and they have a professional video crew at the event and are selling video packages at the 1/2 mil drag event. It's not cheap but may be worth it in the long run. Prices start at $300 for a 1 minute video and go up to $1500 for a 4 minute one. At $300 I think I could make it happen but I dunno, what do you guys think?

https://youtu.be/3N3KFRcoenY
Old 04-24-2016, 05:52 AM   #419

Cold air box - full update

Greetings everyone,

Finally got some time to finish up the cold air box and make a little video. The process involved much trial and error, initially I tried to use a portion of the factory box and modify it but it was much harder to do then expected so I started from scratch.

The box itself is just that, a cardboard box! Since I had gotten so handy with he fiberglass making my rear firewall I started off by using masking tape and wrapping up the entire box, then I covered it in several layers of fiberglass. Did some basic measuring and cut out the 4" hold for the intake pipe to fit. Then used took some small pieces of wood to make the mounting points for the two halves and used resin to mount them to the box with. Then cut the box in half!

Made the port to pit into the side of the car with more cardboard and some extra fiberglass to make the mounting tab. Aside from finishing it off with primer and high temp paint that was about it for that half.

The other half basically got the same treatment but with an additional layer of 2000* heat protection which I also used on the rest of the intake pipe as well to help keep things cool.

It definitely made a difference... DUH! I should have taken some before and after intake temp readings but lets be honest, that filter was literally sitting no more then 2-3 inches from the exhaust manifold before, now it is closed off and getting just fresh air from the outside so i'm certain it made a difference!

I appreciate you all following along, let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks!
J

https://youtu.be/3lrvFjFltf4

Old 04-25-2016, 03:03 AM   #420
JRL

Nice job on the air-box

$300 one minute video - well I'd buy a go pro and make my own video from inside the car. About the same $$ and you will have the camera for future video's - just a thought.