Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2015, 05:00 AM   #261
Registered Abuser

Garage
You shall overcome!

'Tis but a minor setup in your final steps to the summit.

BTW - let me know if there were any modifications you did with the belts or brackets. My AC bracket had some pretty bad interference with the compressor housing. I wrote Renegade last week just to give them a friendly "heads up", still haven't heard back. In the meantime, I modified the bracket to both clear the compressor housing AND fit the engine block a little better. Renegade's powder coater was a little overly ambitious and a lot of the holes and aligning edges didn't fit until I ground off all that beautiful finishing coat.

At the very back of the compressor housing near the rear mounting bolt, you can see the housing hitting the bracket:

Wasn't difficult to modify, but yet another aspect of this "kit" that makes it less and less of a "bolt in" experience.

Bayley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 07:34 AM   #262

It's alive.

BoxsterLS376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 07:45 AM   #263

Post that ISH!!!
18x9 Front 18x11 Rear Wheels
Twin-Turbo LSx Boxster :troll:
Lcrivers816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 08:14 AM   #264
JRL

Great job JJ - well done
JRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 09:27 AM   #265

There was a disturbance in the force....millions of Boxster crying out for more power.....we heard you in Alabama when you started her up.
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 03:38 PM   #266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayley View Post
You shall overcome!

'Tis but a minor setup in your final steps to the summit.

BTW - let me know if there were any modifications you did with the belts or brackets. My AC bracket had some pretty bad interference with the compressor housing. I wrote Renegade last week just to give them a friendly "heads up", still haven't heard back. In the meantime, I modified the bracket to both clear the compressor housing AND fit the engine block a little better. Renegade's powder coater was a little overly ambitious and a lot of the holes and aligning edges didn't fit until I ground off all that beautiful finishing coat.

At the very back of the compressor housing near the rear mounting bolt, you can see the housing hitting the bracket:

Wasn't difficult to modify, but yet another aspect of this "kit" that makes it less and less of a "bolt in" experience.

Yeah so right now I'm still in the process of sorting out the belts and pulley alignment situation but haven't had tremendous success just yet, pretty close though. The short answer to your question is yes, additional spacers and washers were necessary to make things fit properly... also had to knock down some of the powdercoat in order to get it to slip by the boss on the block there. I've added my original transmission spacers to the alternator to help align it, about 1/2" forward so far. Ran out of patience this week so by the end of the day I just took the damn belt off so I could hear it run without a squeak

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I hope you are a good modifier as there are LOTS of dumb things like that you will need to sort out, let me know if I can help!
Thanks
J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcrivers816 View Post
Post that ISH!!!
Well not real exciting but here it is

http://youtu.be/Opxu4mded6c

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRL View Post
Great job JJ - well done
Thanks Randy!
J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
There was a disturbance in the force....millions of Boxster crying out for more power.....we heard you in Alabama when you started her up.
LOL - The force is strong with this one

Thanks everyone I really appreciate it...

I think there is an issue with the cooling system so no road tests just yet although everything spins the right way when in gear etc.

I'm pretty certain I followed Renegades little flow diagram pretty spot on but one thing I didn't do is actually check the LS3 coolant flow etc. I simply copied Renegades pictures but something just isn't right... they probably sent pictures of a 911 conversion with the pipes on backward or something, who knows, i'll figure it out though:dance:
Old 06-19-2015, 07:14 PM   #267

As Stated

I am more unimpressed with Renegade than ever........you we are impressed with Randy
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 05:59 AM   #268

Any news? Does it run smooth now?

Some exhaust mods planned to get more roar?

Regards from Germany
Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 03:02 PM   #269

Greetings all,

Well got to mess with it a bit more and made a small change to the steam pipe in the cooling system but don't think I solved much. Seems like the T-Stat is not opening so I'm gonna spill some more coolant tomorrow and pull that little bastard out just to see if we can keep it cool enough to put a few miles on it...

Speaking of putting a few miles on it I did actually pull it down off the lift and took it down the street. Belt was still making all sorts of noise and the power steering wasn't powering at all, but it goes down the road!

@ Markus - once I get more bits sorted out then i'll make some noisy pipes

Thanks!
J
Old 06-24-2015, 02:54 PM   #270

Greetings all,

Sooo got a few things sorted out and it is starting to become a driveable car!! I abandoned the A/C portion of the belt for now in order to just run the alternator without it making all sorts of racket.

I ended up doing quite a bit of modifying to the alternator mount/tensioner setup I added about an extra inch of adjustability with the alternator tensioner bracket which helped a bit and also ground off the block a bit more where it was getting in the way. The biggest thing however was that I added about 3/8" of spacing to the alternator in order to get it to line up better with the crank pulley. I started with the 1/2" aluminum spacers I had made for the transmission but they were a bit much, but FYI 5 flat washers = 3/8"

In the end you still don't get much adjustability but I was able to squeeze a 5PK-875 (should be 6pk but I'm just glad it's on and working right now - only temporary anyway) onto the crank and alternator. It will just barely fit and actually had to loop it over the crank and turn the motor over by hand to get it to fit on, got it nice and tight and viola! No more squeaky belt!

Regarding the cooling system, I decided to gut a thermostat yesterday and put the system together like that just free flowing to the radiators. So far so good! I think the biggest problem was that the system was not bled well enough, even though I used a vacuum bleeder, just wasn't enough. I ran it for a bit last night and it took in quite a bit more coolant so I'm feeling better about it. Ran it again today for a bit and temperatures were staying just about 180*-190*F so I'm happy with that for now!

Last challenge for the day was the tachometer which so far I've gotten it to flicker and that's about it. I'll just say that the "Renegade way" didn't work. Stopped by a friends place to show him the car and he dropped a bit more knowledge and a resistor on me, i'll see if we can make that work tomorrow!

Otherwise she sounds good!! Pretty mean actually with the way the "Hot cam" hits a lick!! I think the decision to go with the LS376-480 crate motor was a perfect choice so far, at best I've only given it about half throttle and there is PLENTY left to scare you, I can't wait til I get her broke in!!!

I'll make a video tomorrow , would have today but it started raining cats and dogs and I still don't have a top on this thing yet so testing was limited

Thanks!
J
Old 06-25-2015, 01:57 PM   #271

Awesome

Congratulations. When do LS376 Kits go into production?
bc993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 04:06 PM   #272

Greetings all,

Here is a little video I made today for you all showing off the car a bit. Feel free to comment/question - Hope you enjoy

https://youtu.be/QkxzES1lbyU

J
Old 06-27-2015, 04:37 PM   #273
JRL

Oh my.....................

Guess I need to drop by the shop for sure
JRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 12:19 AM   #274

Congrats from germany!
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 03:43 AM   #275

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc993 View Post
Congratulations. When do LS376 Kits go into production?
Thanks! The thought train is still rolling on this, once this one is sorted out i'll get to working on that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRL View Post
Oh my.....................

Guess I need to drop by the shop for sure
Haha yeah made a bit of progress since your last visit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallblock454 View Post
Congrats from germany!
Thanks!! The German side of my heritage is very proud and glad to hear it!

Really need to sort out the tachometer and the firewall cover and we'll be in business. Drove it home from the shop last night even with no top and threat of heavy rain, figured I could out run it

I did however catch the attention of a C7 Corvette on the way home last night which REALLY made me regret not having a tachometer although the motor isn't really broken in yet so I played a little but not to much.

Although I haven't really dug into it yet in second gear I'm sensing some wheel spin and am thinking this car is in bad need of an LSD. It was much to my disappointment when I found out that an LSD was never even an option on the Boxster. Luckily I found one out of a 996 a few weeks ago on Ebay which I talked my boss into buying, now I just need to get him to install it in my car We will see.

Thanks!
J
Old 06-28-2015, 04:33 AM   #276

Garage
Outstanding! :dance: You must have a great deal of satisfaction. I love the sound and your grins as it pulls, very cool. You need to get a GoPro camera for your driving videos! Again, job well done
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 06:39 AM   #277

The ls3 looks and sounds great in your boxster. I can't wait to start my boxster project!
shockandawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 08:56 AM   #278
inveniam viam aut faciam

Nicely done! I can't wait to hear what you think of it once you get it buttoned up.

I had some LSD info hear, but found that while you could get electronic traction control in the 986 the M220 and M224 option codes, you did not actually get mechanical limited slip.

Last edited by Qmulus; 06-28-2015 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Wrong info.
Qmulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 11:40 AM   #279
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Salute to you, really awesome project!!

next project...Boxster with Karl Wagner 416 LS7 1k HP
Old 06-28-2015, 12:55 PM   #280

Wow! That is so impressive! Well done x100!!!!!!!!!!!

2010 CBR1000RR- Sold
Wilson01S is offline   Reply With Quote