Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2014, 07:15 PM   #1

My TT

I have put a few miles on it and love the car. The boxster was a bit easier to drive as it didn't rev as freely, but I am learning throttle rev matching. The nose gets light when pushed, but the grip on the road is amazing. I have to mess with the brakes as they don't feel like they bite like in the 986. I bought some SS lines and a motiv so hope that helps otherwise I may pick up a set of girodisc rotors and pagid pads. Funny thing is the number of people who try and egg you on to burn out the tires.

Last edited by Ckrikos; 06-29-2014 at 06:30 PM.
Ckrikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 07:17 AM   #2

Garage
Thanks for the update! I really wish I could have a Turbo and keep my S! We just had to get a new vehicle for my wife, I really tried to get her to "want" a TT but she saw right through that. We ended up with a Toyota Highlander for the same money as a TT. It's a nice vehicle but.....
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 12:52 PM   #3

Its also been very reliable. The car hasn't needed anything but an ignition switch.

Though i have changed about $1000 worth of parts since buying it and half of that was for mounts. I changed out the switches by the pedals, ignition switch and miscellaneous other plastic trim and shocks.
Old 06-29-2014, 04:36 PM   #4

Nice car Sir

Tried one of these "once". Never again. Scary fast, light, nimble, etc. As in: impossible to not-go-fast! I'd hurt myself in a flash owning something like that

(yea for the 2.5 fliptronic!)
Old 06-30-2014, 08:10 AM   #5

Garage
Nice.
My wife is suggesting we sell the boxster and get a 911. not sure I want to ride with her in a 911. I've been through 3 tours of combat and survived cancer, but her driving my boxster is the scariest thing I've ever experienced.
kiyakubuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 01:38 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiyakubuke View Post
Nice.
My wife is suggesting we sell the boxster and get a 911. not sure I want to ride with her in a 911. I've been through 3 tours of combat and survived cancer, but her driving my boxster is the scariest thing I've ever experienced.
lol if you would passenger with my wife you'd be in for a whole NEW style of ride. She thinks she owns the roads, literally, and drive her RR just-like-that. Crossing anywhere, u-turn here and there, not yielding 'too often', speed limits???pfff. She goes over a possibly-fatal street-bump at high speed and this girl simply yell "WOO HOO". You think your second-half driving is scary, well I'd like to contest that
Old 07-01-2014, 04:33 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
lol if you would passenger with my wife you'd be in for a whole NEW style of ride. She thinks she owns the roads, literally, and drive her RR just-like-that. Crossing anywhere, u-turn here and there, not yielding 'too often', speed limits???pfff. She goes over a possibly-fatal street-bump at high speed and this girl simply yell "WOO HOO". You think your second-half driving is scary, well I'd like to contest that
my wife pulled into our driveway, side swiped my parked truck. when she made contact, instead of stopping, she hit the gas and powered through. got out of her car, looked at the damage to her car in dismay, turned to me and said, "Why did you park there?!?"
Old 07-01-2014, 04:51 AM   #8
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
my wife pulled into our driveway, side swiped my parked truck. when she made contact, instead of stopping, she hit the gas and powered through. got out of her car, looked at the damage to her car in dismay, turned to me and said, "Why did you park there?!?"
Of course it was your fault
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 07:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Nice.
Sounds like the typical Carrera driver to me.

In over ten years I can count on the fingers of one hand at the number of women I've seen driving Boxsters. They seem to avoid cars with manual transmissions.
"too complicated" according to the missus. They all want Range Rovers or Cayennes... the new chick dream car is a luxury SUV... unfortunate for us all.

p.s.
When I first saw the 996 TT at the NY Auto Show I was convinced that it was by far the best looking 911 ever.
There was nothing remotely VW beetle about it. It looked like the kind of Porsche that you could park next to a Ferrari any day of the week.
The fact that you can snag one of these for under $40K (cost of entry not cost to own) is pretty amazing. My buddy bough one at the height of the financial crisis from an extremely cash-strapped dude for $30K. He bought to flip for quick cash but his girlfriend wouldn't let him.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 07-02-2014 at 07:27 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 07:36 AM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
Sounds like the typical Carrera driver to me.

In over ten years I can count on the fingers of one hand at the number of women I've seen driving Boxsters. They seem to avoid cars with manual transmissions.
"too complicated" according to the missus. They all want Range Rovers or Cayennes... the new chick dream car is a luxury SUV... unfortunate for us all.

p.s.
When I first saw the 996 TT at the NY Auto Show I was convinced that it was by far the best looking 911 ever.
There was nothing remotely VW beetle about it. It looked like the kind of Porsche that you could park next to a Ferrari any day of the week.
The fact that you can snag one of these for under $40K (cost of entry not cost to own) is pretty amazing. My buddy bough one at the height of the financial crisis from an extremely cash-strapped dude for $30K. He bought to flip for quick cash but his girlfriend wouldn't let him.
surprisingly, my wife has no issue with the manual transmission. she grew up in Asia and had never driven anything but manual until she came here.
that is where her driving skill ends though. anyone who has spent time in any southeast asian country will know what I am talking about. speed limits have no meaning, stop signs are just a suggestion and the right of way goes to the bold.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:44 AM   #11

Quote:
..... and the right of way goes to the bold.
yes, giving way is a sign of weakness, inferiority.

a fast(er) car can come pretty handy lol

love it
Old 07-02-2014, 09:47 AM   #12

and love that TT also. Nice car Ckrikos
Old 07-02-2014, 11:06 AM   #13

OP: Replacing the brake lines with SS and doing a full fluid swap with the Motive Power bleeder is going to be a night and day for your braking. No mushy pedal after a fluid flush and SS lines are installed.

After I did it I was amazed. If I had not done the work, I would have sworn a mechanic had swapped out my calipers and discs for much larger ones. Seriously.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 04:24 PM   #14

I had my boxster set up that way and loved the braking.