Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2014, 10:52 PM   #1

Boxster Ownership - Take 2

Almost a decade ago now I bought my first Boxster - a 2001 S Tiptronic, Arctic Silver with metropole blue interior. I owned that car for about 3 years, but I started getting more serious about track driving and I quickly realised that the Boxster was above my skill level to drive quickly and above my pay grade to repair should anything go wrong on the track, so the Boxster was sold for a more affordable track car.

As proof that things go full circle, I sold that track car a few months ago and in looking for a replacement I found myself again drawn to the 986, and I'm now the proud owner of a 2002 Boxster S, again in Arctic Silver, but this time a manual with black interior.

It's a high miler (193,000kms, or 120k miles) and has a few cosmetic issues, but was owned at one point by the brother of a Porsche dealership mechanic so has had the IMS and RMS issues addressed, upgraded clutch, short shifter and a few other track-oriented mods already performed.

I had intended to completely strip the car 'BSR-style' and keep it as a dedicated, unregistered track car, but my local motorkhana (AX) club requires that vehicles are registered and driven to events, so instead I'll be going for a more restrained 'GT3' style build. The goal is to reduce weight and stiffen up the handling without exposing bare metal in the interior.

I've got quite a few bits & pieces already on order, so I'm looking forward to doing some tinkering over the next month or so and then getting the car out on the track for the first time.

jamesatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:33 AM   #2

Great overhead shot.Seeing a "right hander" is a novelty for us here in the US.

I had the IMS/RMS done on my new to me 2000S and I think these cars should last a very long time with good care.

The extra down low torque is great on these 3.2 motors.Congrats!
litespeedp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 04:39 AM   #3

What can I say?..........A real beauty!
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:10 PM   #4

Thanks!

I can't take credit for the photos - the previous owner took those for the For Sale listing (hence the watermarks). I sent the car off to my mechanic pretty much as soon as it arrived to get a full inspection and arrange local state registration, so I haven't had the chance to drive it much or get any decent photos of my own.

I should get it back before the Easter weekend so hopefully will get some time to go for a decent drive and re-acquaint myself with the cars.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:36 PM   #5

Sweet, enjoy the ride What other track-oriented mods do you have planned?
Dosverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 03:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dosverde View Post
Sweet, enjoy the ride What other track-oriented mods do you have planned?
Thanks!

The first step is to figure out exactly what the previous owners had already installed, as there was very limited paperwork with the car in that regard. During the pre-registration inspection we discovered the car is running GT3 control arms with what appears to be stock springs, and when doing the GT3 console delete yesterday it looks like the short shifter is actually a Porsche factory unit installed by the original owner. There may be other surprises lurking as we explore further.

Beyond that, to get started I've got a Fabspeed Race exhaust on order and I'm replacing the current Michelin Pilot Sports with Yokohama A050 medium compound R-Spec tyres later in the week. I'm trying to find a pair of OEM GT3 seats, and there will be a round of dieting as I strip some sound deadening material from the cabin and remove the carpet and accessories from the two boots/trunks.

I'm also waiting for a shipping quote for a Boxster Spec fibreglass roof so I can remove the soft top and associated motors and save some weight there.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:08 AM   #7

Sounds like you scored well, and getting serious about the setup. B-)
Old 04-28-2014, 08:32 AM   #8

Started some small cosmetic tweaks whilst I wait for the bigger parts to arrive - shipping to Australia takes forever...!

GT3 console delete and alcantara shift knob installed tonight.

I'm debating whether there is enough weight saving to justify pulling the stereo head unit and speakers, leaving the grill covers over the speakers and a shelf insert for the head unit.

The sump extension and associated oil filter goodies arrived also, and I'm hoping to get that installed before my first AX event in 3 weeks time.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:45 AM   #9

I understand your frustration, waiting for some spacers to come over. From the UK. You keeping the centre console bits you removed? only asking 'cos I have black interior and after the left side cover where abouts in Au are you?
Old 05-01-2014, 12:06 AM   #10

Yes the wait is frustrating - but worse still I just can't get anyone at Fabspeed to respond to my emails and let me know where my order is up to.

I'm panning on keeping all the original parts so I can revert to original spec in the future if needed - sorry. I'm in Canberra by the way.

On a better note, I had new tyres installed today. Yokohama A050 R-Spec tyres - very aggressive tread pattern, medium compound so hopefully will survive a few track outings.

Old 05-12-2014, 12:08 PM   #11

Garage
Hi James. You may like to try Design 911 in the UK for parts
Ordered a part Thursday noon and had the part delivered Gold Coast (Aus) pm Tuesday
Tracked all the way.
Chas
Porsche man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 02:47 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche man View Post
Hi James. You may like to try Design 911 in the UK for parts
Ordered a part Thursday noon and had the part delivered Gold Coast (Aus) pm Tuesday
Tracked all the way.
Chas
Thanks - will give them a try next time.

Pelican Parts and Suncoast both delivered quickly - they had credit card verification hoops to jump through but otherwise pretty quick delivery.

Fabspeed on the other hand - last email I got from them promised my exhaust would ship last week. Surprise surprise, no exhaust, no shipping notification and no response to my follow-up emails. All for a system I was told was in stock when I ordered 5 weeks ago. The exhaust better be pretty amazing to justify their rubbish customer service.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:05 PM   #13

I finally got a reply from Fabspeed - no explanation as to what happened to the in-stock exhaust I ordered but they will have mine made by 6/9 - a good 2+ months from when I placed the order. They did offer to refund my shipping costs so some good news I suppose.

In the mean time I ran the Boxster at its first Motorkhana (AutoX) event today. Managed mid-pack times as I haven't found the sweet spot with the handbrake as yet, but otherwise it performed quite well. Brakes were as strong as I remembered them, but even with 235 front tyres it was very easy to end up in understeer, and the car desperately needs an LSD as long arc curves under power just resulted in smoking the inside real wheel.

Will try to get the GoPro video up to YouTube tomorrow if it turned out OK.