Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2014, 07:28 PM   #1

Garage
first Porsche

I've always got my thrills on 2 wheels, wife was always asking me to get rid of my bikes. finally she found my weak spot. told me she would buy me a Porsche if I would sell off my bikes. Deal! found a good deal on a 2001 Boxster S in great shape.
I have to say, I don't miss the bikes very much. Boxster is a blast to drive, plus it is nice to be able to drive in the rain without getting wet and to be able to carry my gym bag etc... granted, my Ducati was a wee bit faster, but I can deal with the extra few seconds to 60 MPH for all I gain.
Now I just have to keep my wife from getting too attached to it. she has already named it and had driven it to work twice

Boxster - a set on Flickr

kiyakubuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:55 AM   #2

nice looking car ,I gave up bikes too for the boxster,dont miss them that much like you say better to be dry in comfort in the rain
judd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:26 AM   #3

Garage
Very nice, love the wheels
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:34 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
Very nice, love the wheels
Thanks, those are the original 18" sport classic II wheels. in pretty decent shape (few scratches).
I'm considering getting them powder coated gloss black.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:44 AM   #5

Garage
Congrats and enjoy the car... amazing how many people go from bikes to sports cars - must be a sign of getting older and wiser A roof when it rains, AC when its too hot and a heat when its cold, what a concept hahaha

Great looking wheels and like BruceH I love the wheels; Those two piece classics have class
Heiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:48 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by judd View Post
nice looking car ,I gave up bikes too for the boxster,dont miss them that much like you say better to be dry in comfort in the rain
funny thing is, my wife wanted me to get rid of the bikes "because the were dangerous", but also because I got a lot of attention from girls when I was riding. So, we go with a porsche.... I don't think she thought her clever plan all the way through.
get a lot more attention now, especially when I ride with my dog.

Old 03-27-2014, 05:56 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiko View Post
Congrats and enjoy the car... amazing how many people go from bikes to sports cars - must be a sign of getting older and wiser A roof when it rains, AC when its too hot and a heat when its cold, what a concept hahaha

Great looking wheels and like BruceH I love the wheels; Those two piece classics have class
Thanks.
yeah I think getting older had a little to do with it. I was a member of a motorcycle club, a lot of the riders (younger ones) were always making comments when it was cold or rainy, "where all the real riders at?", or calling people "fair weather riders".
My response was that I ride because I enjoy it, not to impress anyone. if I am not enjoying it, i.e. rain, cold etc.. I won't ride. the weather here in TN is so bi-polar, you can't count on many warm, rain free days. at least with the car I can just pull over and put the top up. plus it doesn't take me 30 minutes to put on gear.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:38 PM   #8

Congrats on you car. Always thought the boxster was the best compromise between a bike and a roller coaster.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:22 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiyakubuke View Post
Thanks, those are the original 18" sport classic II wheels. in pretty decent shape (few scratches).
Just my opinion, but I think Sport Classic II's look outstanding in the OEM silver. Of course I am biased

iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 01:07 AM   #10

haHA I win, my wife is nicer than yours

Always had motorcycles, still use my two HRC fireblades monthly. Had bikes way before getting my driver's license anyway. I don't recall riding any of them on public streets anywhere tho.... scares the hell out of me just to think about all the 'fixed' objects (trees, poles, sidewalks, other cars etc...).

I'm with your wife on that one mate.... besides.... you got to have titanium balls to ride a bike on public streets. Respect brother

actually I lied, I think I once when out of the pit to refill at the gas station outside the circuit. But that's just because we ran out of gas inside

Congrats on your Porsche! Nice color
Old 03-29-2014, 01:21 AM   #11
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Wow, that must be an old picture Fred

Silver wheels and are those Morimoto minis in your headlights?
Old 03-29-2014, 01:32 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Wow, that must be an old picture Fred

Silver wheels and are those Morimoto minis in your headlights?
Those are the years when I thought black wheels were a huge No-Go! I wouldn't go back to those silver wheels today even if you would pay me. Black wheels forever (lol)

Not morimotos nah, very similar tho. They were sort-of-great... at the time
Old 03-29-2014, 05:45 AM   #13

Garage
I think the silver wheels look better on the darker colored cars (blue, black etc...) on the lighter colors, especially red, you can go either way. silver looks fine, but black looks really nice. and since they need re-coating anyway....

Old 03-29-2014, 05:52 AM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
haHA I win, my wife is nicer than yours

Always had motorcycles, still use my two HRC fireblades monthly. Had bikes way before getting my driver's license anyway. I don't recall riding any of them on public streets anywhere tho.... scares the hell out of me just to think about all the 'fixed' objects (trees, poles, sidewalks, other cars etc...).

I'm with your wife on that one mate.... besides.... you got to have titanium balls to ride a bike on public streets. Respect brother

actually I lied, I think I once when out of the pit to refill at the gas station outside the circuit. But that's just because we ran out of gas inside

Congrats on your Porsche! Nice color
If I had as much sense as you do she may not have been so worried
been riding on the street since I was 18 and there is really no logical reason that I am still alive. Getting a lot worse now with all the idiots texting more and they weren't very good drivers to begin with. riding on 2 in this area is a lot like playing the old frogger video game.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:04 AM   #15

Do it...they look good in black. I dipped mine black for a temporary

fix but left the outer lip polished.

Quote:
papasmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 03:42 AM   #16

Quote:
I think the silver wheels look better on the darker colored cars (blue, black etc...) on the lighter colors, especially red, you can go either way. silver looks fine, but black looks really nice. and since they need re-coating anyway....

Nice find. Speaks loud and clear. Do yourself a favor and do not paint them in flat black (just like the owner of those wheels). Flat black look nice on those cheap Japanese EVOs and similar cheapo Fast & Furious cans but NOT onto a luxury sport car.

Gloss(highly recommended) or semi gloss(minimum)

On a diff note; Get a track bike, a 2.5mm thick kangooroo skin one-piece suit, and go stabilize that extra adrenaline you often have at the circuits. Your wife will enjoy being there with you I'm sure. Great weekend activities, and much safer man
Old 04-08-2014, 10:38 PM   #17

Definitely a nice low mileage find and in great condition.

One of the best excuses for getting a nice car is wife complaining about motorcycles. I hung it up back in 2003 (CBR F4i) and ended up with an 04 NSX-T...wife couldn't really say much because I quit riding.

I cannot even imagine how dangerous it is now compared to 10+ years ago when I was riding.

Enjoy your Boxster!!!!!!

06 Maserati Quattroporte (Family hauler)
08 Corvette Z06 (Track car)
986_c6 is offline   Reply With Quote