Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2013, 08:22 AM   #1

Garage
New 986 Stereo

I upgraded the stereo in the 2000 S and thought I'd share. I was inspired by this:

Porsche Boxster JL Audio Stealthbox Style Subwoofer Upgrade - 6speedonline.com Forums

but found a NorCal shop that carried the same equipment. Here is what I put in:

Head Unit: Alpine CDE-HD149BT ($300)
Speakers: Focal 165 KRX2 - 2 way ($1200)
Amp: JL Audio XD500/3 ($430)
Sub: Coming soon ($700)

Installer: AMS Car Stereo (AMS Car Stereo | Home)

After consulting with the installer, who has done quite a few boxsters, he said that a 2-way speaker was more coherent in the boxster and was much easier to get great sound out of than a 3-way. I did choose an amp that allowed for the future addition of a sub, and had them pre-wire it. It doesn't REALLY need the sub, but I'll likely add that as my Christmas present.

Amp Board:

Door Speakers:

Head Unit (note USB AUX connector):

Final amp and crossover Install:

Dlirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:17 PM   #2

Nice!!! Did you had door speaker before? What are your thoughts about your setup? I'm waiting for a set of Focal PS 165 FX, to finish my stereo upgrade.
urban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:55 AM   #3

Garage
I was about to do the Focal 3-ways, but was talked into the 2-ways by the installer that had done quite a few boxsters. Seems that getting the balance between the door speaker and two dash speakers can be difficult. also, there is a lot of reflection off the glass, making it hard to achieve good sound from the mids. putting all that in the door has the effect of better tonality and an easier setup.

I'm very happy with the system as it is, but it DOES need the sub added. Saving $ to get that next. Plan for a sub with your amp choice and pre-wiring...
Old 11-06-2013, 08:15 AM   #4

I had the same thoughts about 3 ways, but the main reason I ditched it was the price. For a lot less you can get a good 2 way set.

Can you post a picture of door, specially the tweters? The usb aux placement was a real good idea! I was thinking of adapting it to the lower console part (where you have the Boxster S logo), but yours seems good and simpler.
urban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:26 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by urban View Post
I had the same thoughts about 3 ways, but the main reason I ditched it was the price. For a lot less you can get a good 2 way set.

Can you post a picture of door, specially the tweters? The usb aux placement was a real good idea! I was thinking of adapting it to the lower console part (where you have the Boxster S logo), but yours seems good and simpler.
Tweeters are in stock location up top. brightness can be easily adjusted via a switch on the crossovers.

Yes, USB spot is nice...
Old 11-06-2013, 02:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlirium View Post
Tweeters are in stock location up top. brightness can be easily adjusted via a switch on the crossovers.

Yes, USB spot is nice...
I thought the stock tweeters were 3/4", and the 165KRX2 tweeters were just under 2". Did your installer have to modify the OEM bracket to get the Focal's to fit?

'03 Boxster S Lapis Blue
'06 BMW 550i Jet Black
Parker986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 02:05 PM   #7

Myself I got a 3 part system from DLS. 2 Big bass speakers in the doors, modded as yours, as well as 2 disc and 2 regular in the panel as well as two mounted behind the seats.
HolmaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 02:32 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolmaN View Post
Myself I got a 3 part system from DLS. 2 Big bass speakers in the doors, modded as yours, as well as 2 disc and 2 regular in the panel as well as two mounted behind the seats.
Sounds like you solved the sub problem! Would love to see pictures...
Old 02-21-2014, 03:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlirium View Post
Sounds like you solved the sub problem! Would love to see pictures...
Only got this pic available of the sub speakers in the door panel. However, I'll make sure to take some photos as soon as I get my car from the place where I store it during the winter.

HolmaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:58 PM   #10

Great setup Delirium.

Lovin that interior HolmaN.

06 Maserati Quattroporte (Family hauler)
08 Corvette Z06 (Track car)
986_c6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amp , speakers , stereo