Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 06:35 PM   #1

rear control arm or rear track arms.

The road bumps have become increasing louder and the time has come to replace either the rear control arms or the longer rear training arms. From everything I've read the solution is to replace the control arms. So I called the Porsche dealership and they say the solution may be the trailing arms. Does anyone have a opinion.

I understand the nylon bushings on the control arms become hard and wear out, thus creating a more noticeable noise with road surfaces. What do the trailing arms do besides assist track control which my 99 Boxster does not have.

lavagate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:49 AM   #2

Garage
One sound I noticed disappeared after changing the control arms, was a loud thump with hard acceleration and spirited shifting. If that is not occurring they could have a point about the trailing arms, only my .02cents I'm not an expert by any means.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:26 AM   #3

Is the noise a clunk or thud when you go over bumps or through potholes? If so, that's probably a trailing arm.

Don't rule out wheel bearings...
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:26 PM   #4

Thanks Randal. Noise mainly comes from the right rear over potholes and road turtles. Not real noticeable on the left side. I never hear the clunking noise at higher speeds and road anomalies at higher speeds. Cornering is excellent. What the hell is a trailing arm. Too many part dealers confuse the trailing arm and control arm
Old 01-09-2013, 02:29 PM   #5

Thank you for the input Haus. I'm narrowing the problem.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:27 PM   #6

probably trailing arms lower

pelican parts 207.00 suggest you do both sides no visible signs to bushing. I read somewhere that someone rebuilds them for less but....... Idid alot of research on them before just replacing. If your trying to save cash stay away from the dealer. If the thud only happens at low speeds its probably the trailing / control arms lower. Ive heard them called both I do think there is a difference though. Also this is a common problem w/this great car amongst others.As I always say FIX IT! DRIVE IT !...........ALOT good luck 02 S 108,000 miles looking forward to another 400 miles tomorrow
nicecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:27 PM   #7

Lavagate, I think I have an extra trailing arm if you want to pay postage to get it to you in paradise.

Vertex Auto sells rebuilt suspension parts for our cars.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:47 AM   #8

A big thank you. Off to the dealership to diagnose the problem. Found control arms thru TRW and 1A for between $95-$108. The trail arms are invisible on the internet. The dealer wants $600 per trail arm. Paying to fix toys is just awesome. Will let you know what I find.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:11 AM   #9

Vertex has the rear trail arms for $150 per arm as opposed to the dealer bending me over for $600 per unit....plus the bushings are polyurethane not rubber. Damn this forum is awesome.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:37 AM   #10

I was just about to post this link for you when you beat me to it!

Porsche Rebuilt Control Arm - Rear Track Arm: Steering and Suspension &amp Control Arms and Related Parts

Do note that going from rubber bushings to polyurethene bushings is not going to increase your comfort, but decrease it a little with every suspension part you put on the car with poly vs. rubber. Upside is it lasts a lot longer.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:06 PM   #11

Randall

I stopped by the dealership today and the service manager who is a good friend walked me over to a 98 Boxster and showed me the suspension. I got a diagram and found out there are 3 components in this assembly related to the control arms.......control arms, trailing arms, and track rods....which I guess are also called track arms. The track arms look considerably longer and run front to rear of the car parallel to the car. It appears the track rods have a fork configuration on one end that bolts to god knows what. The rear of the track arm is attached to the control arms with the bushing clearly visible. He seems to think the track rod bushings are worn and also said this is what is normally replaced. Of course he would say since the dealer cost is $600 per track arm and 300 per control arm. He indicated the easiest diagnosis is to raise the car and it's clearly evident which component has worn. Thanks again. Vertex has track rods for $150 per unit and control arms for $105 per unit.