Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2005, 10:23 AM   #1

Photos of your radar detector installation?

I'm interested in getting a radar detector and was wondering if those of you who have one could post how/where you installed yours. Thanks in advance!

Old 10-21-2005, 01:01 PM   #2

Albeit a 987, below are pictures of my unwieldy and aesthetically displeasing setup. Convertibles and the Box in particular present some challenges in the setup department. I keep mine low-mounted to maintain a lower profile and have not experienced a noticeable decrease in detection distance but I've noticed that the slope of the Boxster hood seems to increase my false laser warnings.

Obviously, high-mounting in a convertible will draw more attention not only from the jack-booted baton-wielding thugs that patrol our highways but also from others who will caravan. I prefer to have a high mount and even achieved a hardwired look in another car using the sunvisor attachment with the cable running down the A pillar, but I find the awkward angle that the Boxster sunvisor is set at makes this impractical (it won't hold a position that well - I think the 986 and 987 visors are the same). I've seen pictures of the detector mounted between the Boxster seats on a little ledge, but it looked like a PITA not to mention unconducive to getting signals from behind. Links to a hardwired setup (V1) in a 986 can be found here and here:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/box_valentine_radar/box_valentine_radar2.htm

http://boxsters.addr.com/hacks/stealth_v1.htm

Although this discussion has been repeated elsewhere, I'll reiterate that the V1 is IMHO the best way to go...once you've had the arrows, it's hard to live without them. Additionally, in our neck of the woods the cops exclusively use Ka, which the V1 is quite good at picking up, although I have heard rumors of laser use in the LA region. If I could find someone in SoCal who could do the job, I'd love to have the rear-view mirror integrated setup.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 03:31 PM   #3

I contacted V1 about the possibility of a fully-incorporated radar system with sensors in the front and rear for ultimate stealthiness and ease of dashboard integration. He told me there just wasn't enough demand for such an expensive setup and i suppose he's correct.

But like you I don't see any real clean way to put a V1 in the 987. Argh. I'll probably get one for those highway trips anyhow. Already got a ticket heading through Orange County.
eslai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 04:54 PM   #4

I just put the X50 on the windshield and plug the cord in the side outlet on the passengers side. Doesn't seem like there are too many options. Doesn't look all that great, but keeps me from losing my license and riding a bike to work.
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 11:14 AM   #5

I've got the V1 with the little remote display box.
I put the little box right under the digital speedometer so I can see my speed and the location of the threat in one glance.
When the remote box is in use the main unit (which is on the windshield) doesn't light up at all which is great. It eliminates tail gaiters and the lack of flashing red lights lighting up you cockpit will keep you from getting noticed by a trailing or stationary cop.

The great thing about the arrows is that the second you have passed the radar the arrow points sideways and then behing you. There is no guessing and you can exhale. What I like most is the long periods of silence. No more constantly checking all my mirrors searching for that phantom cop.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 12:00 PM   #6

like Rail, I just stick the suction cups on the windshield and go. I set it as high up under the mirror as I can - I think it reads better than low on the dash. It's not pretty...

limoncello is offline   Reply With Quote