Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2011, 07:05 AM   #21

Nice, I love the headlights and taillights of the 987II

cbbepop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:33 AM   #22

Garage
+1 on beige
+1 on manual
+1 on no sticker

I gather u thought about ordering the spyder?
or it wasn't part of plan?

Feel bad about Ruby...
Enjoy ...put some miles on
maybe give us a comparison update between
the two cars
Chris
Old 03-14-2011, 07:52 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris97boxster
+1 on beige
+1 on manual
+1 on no sticker

I gather u thought about ordering the spyder?
or it wasn't part of plan?

Feel bad about Ruby...
Enjoy ...put some miles on
maybe give us a comparison update between
the two cars
Chris
I like all the comfy stuff and toys like Bose and XM radio, ventillated seats, etc. The car will not be tracked except perhaps once or twice to see what she'll do. So the Spyder won't work for us.
PhilNotHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:54 AM   #24

Saw this on another board:

Went to a party, lady hosting the party says "ohh, I want you to meet Jay, he drives a Porsche too." She introduces us and he says, very snidely, oh, so you're drivng the OLD Porsche out ther huh? To which I replied, "there are no old Porsches, only new owners!

Brilliant!
Old 03-14-2011, 08:57 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilNotHill
Saw this on another board:

Went to a party, lady hosting the party says "ohh, I want you to meet Jay, he drives a Porsche too." She introduces us and he says, very snidely, oh, so you're drivng the OLD Porsche out ther huh? To which I replied, "there are no old Porsches, only new owners!

Brilliant!
+1
coolbreeze551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:49 PM   #26

Finally

We got back home and can put some miles on the new Boxster S. We drove to Costco and on the way home completed the magic 2000 mi break-in period. The car wails at 7 grand with the sports exhaust. And the car really hugs the road at 90 mph.

Life is good.

Last edited by PhilNotHill; 06-07-2011 at 08:52 PM.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:13 PM   #27
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Welcome back...long time, well or at least I haven't been reading as many threads and seen you. Did you take a long trip in the Box?
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:12 PM   #28

Went for a drive. Waterfalls are in full force with the spring runoff.

Life is good.
Attached Images

Old 06-26-2011, 10:34 AM   #29

New Boxster S Update

Just got back from a 1700 mi trip thru Utah. We now have over 3800 mi on the car. So far no problems. The car is great.

The 310 bhp BS has plenty of passing power in 5th gear.
Sports Exhaust sounds great.
Auto windshield wipers let you keep your hands on the wheel as the precipitation level changes seemingly all the time while you drive.
Directional bi-xenon headlights are wonderful.
Controls on the steering are pretty easy to learn.
The 6 speed tranny and brakes are world class.
The air cooled seats are wonderful in hot weather.

The instrumentation is a great improvement over the 2004 BS. Having the digital MPH display under the tach is a great help. All the information from tire pressures to miles until you need gas are impressive indeed.

The NAV system will do everything except make your coffee...well, maybe, I am still learning. The feature which allows the next NAV direction to be displayed under the tach is most useful as the center NAV screen is hard to read when the top is down and the directions are hard to hear especially when the Sports Exhaust is in the "loud" mode.

I do not plan to track the car. Been there, done that with the 2004 and got it out of my system (so far).

Only complaint is the seats are hard. Took me awhile to get them adjusted so they are tolerable. Hopefully they will soften as time goes on. My wife has no complaints in this area...she has a little more padding tho.

BTW the beige dash does reflect onto the windshield. Solution is polarized sunglasses.
Attached Images

Old 06-26-2011, 11:33 AM   #30
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Nice Review!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilNotHill
The air cooled seats are wonderful in hot weather.
That's an option that really appeals to me. I will definitely look to get these when I get another car.

From what I've read Porsche doesn't force air out of the seat onto the occupant but instead pulls air through the seat in the reverse direction. Is this the case as far as you know? How quickly do you feel the system working on a warm day? Is there an off/on switch like heated seats?

It's interesting that some manufacturers force air from the seat onto the occupant (even air conditioned air) and Porsche does it the opposite way. A friend had an Infiniti with cooled seats and I'm still not sure how they worked. No air, but they cooled with some sort of element embedded in the seats.

Thanks,

ddb
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:27 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddb
That's an option that really appeals to me. I will definitely look to get these when I get another car.

From what I've read Porsche doesn't force air out of the seat onto the occupant but instead pulls air through the seat in the reverse direction. Is this the case as far as you know? How quickly do you feel the system working on a warm day? Is there an off/on switch like heated seats?

It's interesting that some manufacturers force air from the seat onto the occupant (even air conditioned air) and Porsche does it the opposite way. A friend had an Infiniti with cooled seats and I'm still not sure how they worked. No air, but they cooled with some sort of element embedded in the seats.

Thanks,

ddb
Feels to me like the cold air is blown up thru the tiny holes in the seats. The buttons (one for each seat) are next to the heated seat buttons. The cool button lights are blue and the warm button lights are amber. You can have both heat and cool on at the same time at any level.

It starts to work in less than half a minute. Very quiet.

A really nice feature about the heat & cool seats is each person can individualize their comfort regardless almost of where the central thermostat is set. Say the thermostat is set at 70F. You want it warmer. Turn on your heated seat. You wife wants it cooler. She turns on her cooled seat.

Modern Pcar technology is truly amazing.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:56 PM   #32
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Phil, nice update! Your comment about the firmness of the seats is interesting. When I was looking for Boxsters last Nov I found the seats from 2000 to 2004 to be the most comfortable. I would someday like to own a 2009 but the only concern is the seats, I'm a small guy (165lb) with a bad back and too firm seats can be tough. I know Porsche offers many different seats so maybe some are softer then others. For now I'll stick with my 2000 'S'

WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote