Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2005, 04:26 AM   #1
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Talking New Top Pictures

I've had my new top for a couple of weeks now and have been too busy to post pictures. I took these while on vacation last week. I always wanted a gray top to go with my gray interior, and the opportunity to get glass for my 2000 sealed the deal. I recently added Litronics, rear & side clears, B&M SSK + Evo linkage, PNP rear speakers, 996 6-chanel amp, 6-disc changer, painted bumperettes, and some other odds & ends. I'm currently working on a set of wheels. I will post pictures of the wheels when I get them.

ddb

ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 04:50 AM   #2

ddb

Nice.... I have an 2001 Boxster in white with gray int with a black top and since day one I have wanted to change it out for a gray one. Did you get this top from Cabrioworld?

2003 Audi TT quattro Coupe
6-speed 225 HP Black/Black/Black
it's stock...no really it's stock man

My other car was a 2001 Boxster
MLegere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 05:59 AM   #3
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
MLegere,

Thanks...

No, I ordered the top directly from GAHH. From what I read the Cabrioworld tops are manufactured by GAHH. I found some white/gray/gray cars when I was searching, but they all had problems that I didn't want to deal with. So I settled for a black top and made the change once the glass was available. I'm thrilled with the change!

ddb

Last edited by ddb; 05-22-2005 at 03:40 AM.
Old 05-21-2005, 06:48 PM   #4

Your car looks great. I'm going to order from the same company in a few weeks. What is the quality of the top material like versus the original? How long did it take them to get the top to you?
rxgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 03:49 AM   #5
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
rxgolf,

They sell 2 different top materials. I chose the higher quality material (I think they call it "German Quality"). In my opinion, and the opinion of the installer, it is at least equal to the quality of the OE top.

I think they are in the state of Washington and I'm in NC. I ordered it on a Monday and had it on Wednesday. I was really anxious to get it installed, but my top guy couldn't work me in until the following Monday. If they have your top in-stock (already manufactured) they can get it to you as quickly as you would like to pay.

Post pictures once you get it.

Good luck,

ddb
Old 05-22-2005, 01:26 PM   #6

if you get a chance take a picture from inside looking out of the back.

I'm sure everyone would like to see the view from the narrower window.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 04:30 PM   #7
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Hey Perfectlap,

I just finished cleaning all the road grime off the car from my vacation and have it covered and tucked away until the next adventure. I will take some more pics when I have a chance.

When I first picked it up from having the top installed it was a little strange looking out the smaller rear window. But now, no problem at all. I just returned from vacation in the car (approximately 700 miles) and it is like the window has always been this size. It was a lot harder getting use to the blind spots in general after first buying the car.

If anyone is considering one of these tops, I wouldn't let the smaller rear window affect your decision. If it bothers you too much, more reasons to drop the top! Now you don't have to worry about the plastic cracking , etc. if it is too cold.

ddb
Old 05-23-2005, 06:01 AM   #8

Thumbs up

Nice looking and unique to boot. Was it very expensive?
Old 05-23-2005, 06:03 AM   #9

Your car looks REALLY clean with that color combo and all clear lights. I wish I could tint my rear window.
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 06:57 AM   #10

ddb, or anyone who would like to share...

I am currently in the position where I am reconisdering a GAHH top as well...

Couple of questions...

1) Does the top fit perfectly as the OEM one, any rattle noises...etc..??
2) I called a reputable top installer (NO AFFILIATION with porsche) and they mentioned to me that they were less than impressed with the GAHH tops...how does the quality and look compare to the original..?? Is there a difference..?
3) I am aware that for the after market tops, you need to "re-use" some of the screws, strips, etc..how difficult is this and can you purchase this seperately.

thanks
dennizxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 06:58 AM   #11

by the way...your car looks GREAT....the color combinations work very well.!!!!!
dennizxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 08:23 AM   #12

can't believe it took 8 years for someone to figure out how to do this.
I installed an aftermarket glass window for my old Miata ages ago.

I hope this glass top is one upgrade I never have to do. I cover my top religiously.
Basically if its sitting outdoors for more than three hours this goes on.
Replacing your softop is an entirely preventable expense
Old 05-23-2005, 03:28 PM   #13
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot2519j
Nice looking and unique to boot. Was it very expensive?

Pilot,

It was $1094 including 2nd day shipping and $84 extra for the gray. It looks like the prices are lower already, as expected. My installer charged $520. I probably paid too much by purchasing so early, but I'm really happy and will never look back.

ddb
Old 05-23-2005, 03:31 PM   #14
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschekid
Your car looks REALLY clean with that color combo and all clear lights. I wish I could tint my rear window.

Hey Porschekid,

Thanks very much. I really like your car. You definitely don't see that combo every day.

I guess that is another advantage with the glass rear window, you can tint it.

What mods do you have planned?

ddb
Old 05-23-2005, 03:53 PM   #15
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennizxxx
ddb, or anyone who would like to share...

I am currently in the position where I am reconisdering a GAHH top as well...

Couple of questions...

1) Does the top fit perfectly as the OEM one, any rattle noises...etc..??
2) I called a reputable top installer (NO AFFILIATION with porsche) and they mentioned to me that they were less than impressed with the GAHH tops...how does the quality and look compare to the original..?? Is there a difference..?
3) I am aware that for the after market tops, you need to "re-use" some of the screws, strips, etc..how difficult is this and can you purchase this seperately.

thanks
dennizxxx,

Thanks for the compliment.

I haven't heard any (new) rattles or noises since the installation of the top. I think the quality of the fit is a function of the installers workmanship more than anything else, so results will vary. Properly installed the top will look and operate as original. I'm thrilled with mine.

I think the quality is excellent. I chose the higher quality, slightly more expensive material offered. I can't see a difference in the quality. My old top was black and the new one is gray, which complicates the comparison. My installer raved about the GAHH quality and installs a lot of their tops and interior kits. I saw many GAHH boxes and catalogs in his shop. I chose GAHH and then approached him, so he didn't have anything to do with my decision. I guess opinions will vary on quality on a item such as this. I didn't look at other tops nor did I have any experience in this area. Truthfully, they had a glass rear window top, and I could have it in 2 days. Maybe not smart, but hey.....

Sorry I can't help with question #3.

Hope this helps and good luck

ddb
Old 05-23-2005, 05:57 PM   #16
Lux

That top looks great. Now you pre-'03 guys can enjoy the car without "chopping" the plastic.

-
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 07:40 PM   #17

actually if you do the chop early on the crease stays in the plastic and you don't have to do it anymore. The key is to lower it a bit slower as the final bend is settling in when you first start lowering the top. I've done the moving top down hack and use it every day. I haven't done the chop in months and I have no dents or sharp creases.
The larger plastic window seem more to my liking it stays crystal clear with Plexus. Although during winter a defrost would be nice! A hardtop will take care of that

Last edited by Perfectlap; 05-23-2005 at 07:42 PM.
Old 05-24-2005, 05:42 AM   #18

Question Should the top be covered too?

I hope this glass top is one upgrade I never have to do. I cover my top religiously.
Basically if its sitting outdoors for more than three hours this goes on.
Replacing your softop is an entirely preventable expense

Pefect Lap:
This is my first convertible and from what I read in your post you are saying that we should cover up the softtops all the time. I had not heard this at any time before. Does this apply to all the seasons? I live in NY. My car is usually garaged but I do leave outside, for up to 8-10 hours, since I use it for work everyday. Las year I used to leave the top down but the dust inside the car got to be terrible that's when I started to put the top up all the time while working.
Old 05-24-2005, 06:42 AM   #19

Talking

In my experience, if you use Plexus say every couple of weeks, your back window will stay nice indeed.

Now, if lived in the desert, I would cover the window if I was leaving my car out all day. That sun is brutal.
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 09:51 AM   #20

Pilot,
If we were talking about a vinly top I wouldn't bother taking any maitnenace precautions. Vinly is incredibly durable against sun, rain and dust.

But these canvass tops are a different story. If you leave your car outside when you're at work I would definitely cover it with one of the $40 top covers I use.
It only takes one minute to put on and protects the interior from fading. I also find it cuts down on interior cleaning significantly. Not to mention cleaner glass.

Dust is the big enemy, its the big culprit in causing tears where the top meets the bows. A weekly stiff stream of water will do you allot of good. No Soap though..
I'm on my second top cover after only one winter. You should see it, the threads were coming apart and the sheen from the cover is completely gone.
But actually, I think the summer is harder on the top than winter due to fewer rain fall and the accumulation of dust.

and Of course you should be using Raggtopp which will protect the exposed portion when the top is down. Personally I wouldn't leave the top down for more than an hour uless you have applied 303 to every inch of your interior.
I've seen allot of convertibles that look imaculate on the outside but the leather and dash looks about 10 years older than the car itself, which just ruins the whole experience, especially on a Porsche.

as far as my interior, I use 1Z Einzett Vinly and Rubber protectant on the dash (and tires) every two weeks and 1Z Einzett Cockpit premium every week. Klasse VLRP is good for the black plastic, makes it look new. I keep those little Meguiars and Black Magic brushes handy for getting in the vents an all the other dash crevices. Keeping a convertible looking new is easy if you do it briefly and frequently.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 05-24-2005 at 10:01 AM.