Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2010, 05:10 AM   #1

First post and pics of my new-to-me Boxster S

This is my first Porsche and was sort of an impulse purchase. The Honda dealership that I've dealt with was taking this car as a trade in and the sales guy I've dealt with gave me a call. I took the car on a long test drive and took a chance at $12k. I buffed the car out yesterday and here it is. When I drove it home it had almost exactly 100k miles.

There are receipts for a new RMS, cam seals, 90k service that totalled over $2k. I spent a sleepless night the first evening with buyer's remorse but I feel OK now after cleaning up the car and shaking it down. I fixed the windshield washer and a temporarily dealt with a bunch of rattles by removing the rear speaker box, which still needs some work. The car is pretty solid structurally

I might need an AOS because I can smell stinky blowby especially down by the passenger side rear fender vent. There's a small cloud of oil smoke on a cold start too. But the oil is very slightly overfilled and I want to fix that before assuming the AOS is the problem.

Dale_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:05 PM   #2

Hi Welcome
Great job with the wax, what you use?
cbbepop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 04:20 AM   #3

Thanks. I used a high speed buffer and Meguiar's Ultimate Compound with a pretty aggressive wool pad for the first pass. Then Meguiar's polish with a mild foam pad for the second pass and NXT was with a random orbital to finish up. I wish I'd taken some "before" pics because the paint was pretty neglected.

This is the second car I've done with the same procedure and I'm pretty happy. The Ulitmate Compound is available at Walmart and it works like magic. You need a real buffer to get a good result.

The damage was too severe for the buffer to deal with the front bumper. That's going to need a respray some day.
Dale_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:14 PM   #4

Many times, if you're shooting in bright sun the camera will expose to the bright background leaving the face too dark, flyer design | corporate branding happens to me all the time. In those situations I always use flash, it'll fill the face with light and the problem instantly becomes a non problem.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:33 PM   #5

I haven't looked at prices lately and have owned since new in 02, but I would say $12k for an 00 S is a pretty good deal.

Great job on that paint job and I see you have a VR C6 in the background. I have a black C6 Z06 also.
986_c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:35 AM   #6
Certified Boxster Addict

Congrats! $12K for an '00 S-model with around 100K is a good deal, you probably saved a couple $K.

Small white cloud on a cold morning startup is normal on these horizontal engines. Should be momentary and then clear up. Although I will admit that the first time you see it you will think that you've blown the engine. Any more than that and you should look into it.

Since your car has had the 90K service, the only thing I'd check is when the oil was last changed and do that if you're not sure.

Other than that, drive it and have fun!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:09 AM   #7

The smell near the drivers vent is usually oil dripping down on the hot exhaust...

Is it stick or a TIP.....

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote