Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2009, 06:22 PM   #1

My 2003 Seal Gray Boxster

I saw my Boxster on the Pioneer Porsche lot on September 20, 2008, and bought it on September 23 - my birthday last year. What a present! 22,000 miles, CPO, all service records intact, and those 22,000 miles all happened in Southern California. It smelled, looked, and drove like new.

After reading up on the dangers of forced injection, I decided to make a few light mods and leave it at that. Here's a semi-complete list of stuff I've done/added, hopefully in order of completion:
  • Smoke side markers (the salesman insisted - and swapped them out himself before he'd let me drive it off the lot)
  • Debadged rear deck.
  • Schnell short-throw shifter
  • JVC KD-AVX44 head unit piggybacked onto factory stereo
  • Crios exhaust mod (BIG holes!)
  • Flat black powdercoat for exhaust tips
  • Flat black ceramic paint on the muffler
  • Installed (and removed) aftermarket hearders. Too loud!
  • Drilled front and new plain rear rotors
  • Fabspeed secondary cat bypass pipes (love 'em)
  • Spare tire delete; added compressor and patch kit
  • Yokohama S.Drive tires
  • Aluminum track mats
  • Evolution Motorsports High-flow intake

One year and 8,000 miles later, I'm still delighted. If I put more money into this car, it'll be a set of track wheels and some sticky tires, and maybe some dedicated track pads. I'd also like to dump the AOS in favor of a catch can, but we'll have to see how Dr. Raby weighs in on that before I do anything rash.

The Boxster has been a terrific car in its own right, and the fun I've had learning to Autocross (and believe me, I'm still early on in the learning process) and the people I've met in PCA-SDR have been awesome.

I look forward to years to come in the Boxster. I intend to drive it hard on the track and take good care of it at home - and while I hope nothing bad ever happens to the motor, I also hope that if it _does_ grenade, it will die an honorable death on the track instead of whimpering into oblivion with a frunk full of groceries and a scarf in the glovebox.

Last edited by sd_boxster; 09-27-2009 at 06:26 PM.
sd_boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 10:45 PM   #2

Sweet! Congrats... Glad to hear you're enjoying the car like it should be... We should get together some time... I'm here in SD too, with a modded seal grey box as well... I haven't posted any updates on my car in awhile.. Anyhow, if not sooner, then maybe I'll see you at Qualcomm one of these events...

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:07 PM   #3

if anyone puts together an "informal" San Diego Boxster meet -n- greet count me in. I'm in Temecula...not too far from you both.

s_boxster - glad you're still enjoying the car. thanks again for stopping by that one time to let me hear your crios mod! I ended up doing a Pedro exhaust. if we ever bump into one another again you can check it out.
2006 RL - My daily driver
2000 Boxster - Ocean Blue Base 5spd on Black Full leather. 18" wheels and M030.

Boxster mods I've added: Rear speaker kit, Painted Calipers, Painted Bumperettes, Painted Center Console, 987 Shifter Assembly, 3 Spoke Steering Wheel, Clear side markers, 03+ rear lights, de-snorkeled.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:23 PM   #4

Looks very nice.

I like the color choice!
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 05:24 PM   #5

Great car, always loved that color. I like the plate too...I'm assuming it says, "schnell." Very creative.

SB
Old 09-29-2009, 09:09 PM   #6

Thanks, all. We ought to do some kind of San Diego / OC Boxster cruise.

scbrindley, what do you think of your PDK?
Old 09-30-2009, 12:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_boxster

scbrindley, what do you think of your PDK?
PDK is great. I miss shifting at times, but not during traffic. The shifts are way faster and smoother than one could possibly accomplish with a traditional manual. Also, when cruising in 7th gear RPMs are extremely low...."great" fuel economy. I find that my average mpg is pretty low because I like to drive it like I stole it.

SB