Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2009, 06:58 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to BOX5TR
Talking NEW GAHH Top Installed on my 2000 Boxster!

After following the GAHH top with glass rear window upgrade, I FINALLY had the new GAHH top installed today. The new GAHH top looks amazing! They've done away with the piping and stitching around the glass window and now offer this really clean/sleek looking seamless glass window upgrade with 'High Level Acoustic A5 German Cloth Topping Materials'. As you can see, I had ZERO visibility with my worn out to the max old plastic window... so all I can say is the visibility factor is great - and I'm loving the look of the smaller window - it looks low-profile; meaner; and sleek.

The new top was installed this morning on my 2000 Boxster (with 03-04 upgraded front + rear bumpers and rear spoiler).

The new GAHH top is definitely the way to go. I'm glad I never need to worry about that plastic window again!

BOX5TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 06:59 PM   #2

and one more detail shot of the seamless rear window...
Old 04-22-2009, 07:30 PM   #3

Looks great !!
gmboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:42 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
That sure does look great.

We both have the upgraded new rear end that is awesome. I haven't seen anyone else do it without the bumperettes like us. Good work. Did you do it yourself?

In the picture it looks like your spoiler sits a little high. Did your replace the top mouting bracket for it. I didn't at first and it took me a while to figure out why my spoiler didnt't fit flush like it should.
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 04:31 PM   #5

when I bought my car used, the prior owner had a new top installed by Porsche. The rear window is pretty good - but I hate having to get out of the car every time I drop the top and fold it.

Is there any way to retrofit a glass window into a factory top - or do you HAVE to change out the whole thing to get a glass window like yours??
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 02:10 AM   #6

Love that front bumper, what did that cost painted arctic silver?

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 03:32 AM   #7

Wow.

Amazing difference. Don't take this the wrong way or anything, but...How'd you get the old plastic looking SO BAAAAD?? Looked like it had been through a war.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 11:30 AM   #8

I was thinking of going this route as well with the "High Level Acoustic A5 German Cloth Topping Materials". Do you notice that it's quieter inside the cabin and is the inside layered like the 2006 model boxster. If you don't mind snapping a shot from the interior as well. Very informative post on the GAAH top, thanks.
smiledrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 01:16 PM   #9

thanks guys!

Fredo - LOL!! the plastic window did look REALLY BAD... I just let it go for a looong time while saving up some extra cash for the new top. I think a car parked next to me also caught on fire and something got on the window and made it even worse...

TriGem2k - Yeah I'm really liking the updated bumpers - and I opted not to have the bumperettes put on because I just thought it looked cleaner and more euro. I'm going to have to check on my spoiler - to be honest I never even noticed it!

23109VC - as far as I know, you need to replace the entire top. i don't know of any shop that will replace only the window or do any kind of retrofit. the shops I talked to couldn't even replace just the same plastic window if I wanted to go that route. in the end though, it's worth the money for the entirely new top. i paid about $855.00 for the top from GAHH, and $600.00 for installation at a local upholstery shop in San Francisco.

edevlin - thanks! the front bumper is the updated 2003-2004 OEM Porsche front bumper. to be honest I'm not sure how much I paid. I got hit by another car in the front, and when I went to the shop I told them to swap the old style bumper for the newer. I had to pay for a few extra parts incorporated in supporting the bumper... but if you ever get hit in the front or rear - thats the best time to ask your body shop to swap bumpers. my insurance paid for it and thats when i swapped both my front + rear bumpers. just expect to pay some extra money for some extra parts...

smiledrs - it is much quieter with the a5 acoustic material! to be honest though, I had that cut up plastic window for so long it sounded like i had the top down even when it was up - so I cant even remember what a hard top sounds like. haha. im not sure I would go as far as saying that its the equivalent of hard top sounding... but it is quiter. i'll try and snap more pics soon!

thanks again guys. a lot of people and friends are telling me they love the look. everyone keeps saying it looks much sleeker.
Old 04-25-2009, 03:28 PM   #10

very nice, great improvement!!!!! Bob

Motobob is offline   Reply With Quote