Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2009, 08:40 PM   #1

My Latest Additions

LED lit door handles...integrated with my door lights, love how it fades off. Very functional, in fact I think it should be marketed as a safety device for seniors. I actually enjoy being able to see my door handles in pitch dark.

New aftermarket steering wheel w/ Momo hub. I took the pictures in my garage, with top up so probably not my best images but you'll get the picture. I think it is a pretty nice addition. It looks more aggressive and it sports a Porsche crest.

trieullionaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:42 PM   #2

Steering Wheel

Here's another pic and the rest, you'll need to click through.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:44 PM   #3

Actually I only have a few

So here you go!
Old 01-14-2009, 08:46 PM   #4

Pics

Here is a straight on shot
Old 01-14-2009, 08:48 PM   #5

MOMO Hub

Here is the side view how the steering hub would look. Initially I thought it would look kinda weird considering it doesn't fill the space like my OEM Wheel but it actually looks fine.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:59 PM   #6

Final Pic

Here is the LED lit door handle in use. I used the 3 inch white led strips and wired it up to the door lights. It's great, when you unlock your door the light turns on and when you lock it, the lights fade off. A nice modern safety feature to add on for those of you who are techies or gadget geeks like me.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:32 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trieullionaire
Here is the LED lit door handle in use. I used the 3 inch white led strips and wired it up to the door lights. It's great, when you unlock your door the light turns on and when you lock it, the lights fade off. A nice modern safety feature to add on for those of you who are techies or gadget geeks like me.
Where did you connect to the door light wires, in the door or did you run the wires into the car ?Also did you drill through the handle to pass the wires into the door?
Looks good.
Christian H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:51 AM   #8

Install lit door handle

It was pretty easy actually. I door handle area is made of plastic, so I drilled a very tiny hole enough for the wires to pass through. Took the door panel off, and peeled the foam insulator away to pull the wire down to where the door light wires were and connect.

The 3 in strips actually have a good length of wires, so that area where the window rolls up and down, you'll want to route the wires so that it is not in the way of your window operating.

My suggestion is have it connected to the door lights, as it is a subtle addition and looks slick when you lock and unlock your doors. Constant on would be a bit distracting for others on the road and imo cheapens the look of the car but tied to functionality of the door lighting system, it's a thumbs up for me.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:30 AM   #9

Very nice looking indeed! And I can tell you really care about your car !!
Ex911Ownr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:57 AM   #10

car looks great!

Great looking mods, subtle, very nice!
jrblackbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:16 AM   #11

I like the door handle lights. Unique and tastefully done.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:39 PM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trieullionaire
It was pretty easy actually. I door handle area is made of plastic, so I drilled a very tiny hole enough for the wires to pass through. Took the door panel off, and peeled the foam insulator away to pull the wire down to where the door light wires were and connect.

The 3 in strips actually have a good length of wires, so that area where the window rolls up and down, you'll want to route the wires so that it is not in the way of your window operating.

My suggestion is have it connected to the door lights, as it is a subtle addition and looks slick when you lock and unlock your doors. Constant on would be a bit distracting for others on the road and imo cheapens the look of the car but tied to functionality of the door lighting system, it's a thumbs up for me.
Thanks for the quick and very detailed response!
This looks like a very worthwhile addition and I will take your advice and wire them with the door lights, I prefer the less is more look
Christian H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 01:43 PM   #13

Wow, great job on the door handle lights. I really like it and especially like the functional way that you wired it.

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 02:40 PM   #14

Handle lights look really cool.
Steering wheel, eh. Looks PlayStation 3-ish... or 2.
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 03:12 PM   #15

Nicely done!
dcporsche99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 03:59 PM   #16

Cool lights! I want, I want
Paul_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 04:54 PM   #17

Man I gotta say I really like the handle lights. Mind if I ask where you got them?
Nice job, Thanks!
Couper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 06:12 PM   #18

The door handle lights look sick!!

Nice job!
AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 07:37 PM   #19

LEDs

Yeah, I've gotten a lot of positive feedback about the door lit handles around the area. . I got my leds from www.hyperledz.com. I had measured the underside of the door handle before deciding on the size of strip I needed and these work beautifully for our cars. It is from Canada and comes in a four pack for 19.99 shipped, so you may want to split it with another person. It's a pretty simple but fun project. If you can take a door panel off and put it back, that is the majority of your work.

Anyhow, I think the next mod for me will be the illuminated door sills. Has any Boxster owners tried this yet? I've seen the stainless steel ones for a Carrera C4S and it is spectacular. Very similar principal to the door lit handle but I think the words light up when the door is ajar. It is marketed for the 987s but I don't see why it couldn't work with the 986 models. Anyways, if anyone has a set installed please post.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:21 PM   #20

trieullionaire - just wondering how you found the service at hyperledz.com? I ordred a set of these door strips from them about 4 weeks ago and have not seen them, or even had an email reply from them....

It was only $20, so its not a massive deal, but I was looking forward to installing these on my boxster!

Anyone else dealt with them at all?

Sam

sparker is offline   Reply With Quote