Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2008, 01:33 PM   #1

New GT3 bumper

Well I finally got all my paint work done...after countless Hrs of sanding primer, painting, wet sanding, and buffing shes all done....(Well almost.... I still need to buff the car now) this was my first paint job......I bought a paint gun, had them match my paint, and went to work. I think it turned out great.

I still need to mount the TA side skirts and rear bumper diffusers.

I decided to leave the mesh silver and go with the black front lip, what do you guys think?

Here are a few pics I will post more when I get the rest done.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Note: Not my camper in the backgroung....but a man can dream right?

Last edited by boxster7614; 06-08-2008 at 07:40 PM.
boxster7614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 06:04 PM   #2

Amazing paint job! You should be very proud of yourself.

My first impression was "WHOA"!!! That front bumper definitely makes a statement. I think it does make the car look a little too front heavy though, like it's got a jutting lower jaw. I think the side skirts will help to kind of tie it together. Too bad there's not a rear bumper option to further balance things out. Overall though that front bumper looks really killer and I think the whole package when you're done will be just stunning.

The wheels look amazing too. Along with the clear lights you're really making a head turner! I think the silver mesh and black lip look fine the way they are.
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:36 PM   #3

Thanks kirk..... I got the rest put together here are the pics of skirts and rear diffusers. On the list of things still to do.........Paint calipers red, paint rollbar silver, paint rear bumperets and change exhaust tips. I think thats about it for right now.

[IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-10-2008, 01:23 AM   #4

does look a bit front heavy... any thoughts of redoing the back bumper as well?
mjstallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 08:03 AM   #5

did you paint the whole car, or just the bumpers. what was your process? what kind of paint did you use? did you strip the old paint or just prep-sand?

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 10:47 AM   #6

No I just painted the new parts...but I'm thinking about repainting the hood because it has quite a few chips from bugs and rocks over the years. The paint I think was DB? (I would have to look at the can) it was $100 for just a quart. They told me it was the best they had. I spent about $400 for supplies. The new bumper is urethan, The light covers, skirts and defusers are fiberglass. The bumper came a little rough....I smoothed everything out with 200 grit. Then washed everything down, wiped with wax & grease remover, first I applied an adhesion promotor, then sandable primer...wet sanded to 600 grit, then another layer of promoter, base color, then clear, then wet sanded to 2000 grit and buffed out. I used this process for all the parts. Very time consuming! I was a little scared but every came out great. Over all it was a fun project.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:38 PM   #7

Looks great

I really like the T/A style side skirts (I have them too). I like the GT3 bumper, probably better than my turbo look bumper....now I am thinking about the GT3. Congrats on the great paint work.
ezeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 08:36 PM   #8

I think the bumper looks great, and the paint job...wow

Growing up the car magazines said how amazing Porsches are. Was I brainwashed? Somehow...I doubt it.

http://www.pcars.us/albums/10641_porsche_cars.jpg
Gary in BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 08:29 AM   #9

The side skirts do look great man! I think they really help to tie the front bumper to the rest of the car. REALLY fantastic man!

>any thoughts of redoing the back bumper as well?

There aren't many options....
Old 06-11-2008, 12:17 PM   #10

Thanks man...I wish there were more options for the rear bumper. Unless you want to sell me your gemballa! How much is that thing normaly? That is the one I really like. They nailed that one. I kind of like the GT3 bumper they make for the boxster but they don't have the lines exactly right mabe someone will make a better one. I also looked at fiberwerks but I don't think it is that much of a change. I do think the rear needs a little something for balance.

Last edited by boxster7614; 06-11-2008 at 12:20 PM.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:39 PM   #11

Looks great!, you should paint the bumperettes too :dance:
redman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 07:22 PM   #12

Looks Great!! Where did you purchase your front bumper and side skirts from???
Love the look and killer paint job!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6.../signature.jpg
bluesbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 07:35 PM   #13

Did you mix in any flex-agent on the paint to keep it from chipping and cracking since it's on eurethane? This was a process we had to do about 12 years ago, I dont know it paints have changed...
Old 06-12-2008, 08:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxs2000
Did you mix in any flex-agent on the paint to keep it from chipping and cracking since it's on eurethane? This was a process we had to do about 12 years ago, I dont know it paints have changed...
I recently talked to a paint shop about this and they did NOT recommend a flex-agent. Most modern automotive paints are polyurethane color or clear mixed with a hardener, so a flex agent isn't needed, but you still have to be careful when installing the parts.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:51 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxster7614
Thanks man...I wish there were more options for the rear bumper. Unless you want to sell me your gemballa! How much is that thing normaly? That is the one I really like. They nailed that one.
I got a deal on my Gemballa GT bumper, so I'm not 100% sure on the normal price. I think it's about $6,500 for the bumper, but I'm not sure if that includes the exhaust or not, which is $2,000.

I think that another good option is the Gemballa lower bumper only. It would take some work to custom mold that thing in place, but it would look pretty unique when done and I think it's only $850 or so on eBay from 911ava or something like that - who's Heinz Meis, the North America Gemballa distributor.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:51 PM   #16

The body shop supply I talked to said as long as I used an adhesion promoter, before the primer and again before the base color coat, that it wasn't nessesary. I think some older paints did required a flex agent...some guys still use them because that's the way they were taught in the good old days. I just followed the autobody supplys' advice. I also confirmed this on a few different autobody forums.