Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2004, 09:38 AM   #1

Thumbs up My first long trip and drive on soaked mountain road...

I have my Boxster S for approx 4 months now. I drove only 3000 miles on it (I am traveling for work quite a bit…). This week-end, was the first time I drove a longer trip: approx 200 miles one way (by European standard, it’s already quite a bit)…I found the car to be very comfortable – despite the sport seats and the noise in tunnels (yes, 4 miles long tunnels are common…). It was pouring down rain most of the way, and the most disturbing thing is probably the limited visibility you have in the car, but then again, not major compared to any non-SUV. So I was very positive with that ride…but here comes the best bit. When I reached my destination, close to a mountain, I decided to go up the mountain and DRIVE it. Pouring rain again, leaves all over the road…very slippery…but yet and pushed and was never surprised by its reaction. The traction even on this slippery mountain road (I have 265 on Michelins’ pilot at the rear) is awesome, the car superb and balanced…
I pushed the car on the dry, but not in these conditions and I was amazed how it performed. My based for comparison: BMW 3 series: M3 & 330ci, definitely not as much traction...996: not as balanced, the car does not make you feel like you can push more and more…and the Boxster is the opposite, a very tempting mistress, regardless of the conditions…you and TT: underpowered and not much fun…
Finally, I am extremely pleased with this chassis…a real go kart…the car is really brilliant. Enough said !
Jean

Jeannot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 07:07 PM   #2

Jean,

My one chance to run "the dragon" happened on a rainy day in winter/spring with leaves and downed branches. I agree it is a superb car, but I have PSM to save me

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/dragon_history_story.html

Last edited by Ad Sach; 10-18-2004 at 07:12 PM.
Ad Sach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 09:50 PM   #3
Lux

Weather is calling for strong winds and rain for my area tomorrow. My Boxster is getting it's very first rain drive. Kinda interested to see how the Yoko AVS Sports do in the rain.

And I'm crossing my fingers that there's no leaks from the top. Speaking of which, are you guys and gals finding your tops are watertight?
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 08:39 AM   #4

i bought my 99 boxster about 1 year ago, the previous owner had it garaged all the time and only took it out on sunny days......i of course do not have a garage

the first time there was heavy downpour, there seemed to be a smallleak in the top,

however, for some reason, it went away....haven't had any problems since!!!!!
dennizxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 10:06 AM   #5

Ad,

This makes me want to put my boxst on a boat and go drive the road :-) (But I won't do the tattoo! lol)

Jean
Old 10-19-2004, 07:28 PM   #6
Lux

Well, I made it thru my first rain drive. It was a little slippery out there (no PSM, no LSD, ...no love). Can't comment on the Yokos just yet but they seem mediocre...like they are in the dry. Car is tossable and the rear definitely steps out. No problems in reeling it in but it seems that I'm having to wait a little too long to regain traction.

The wipers were kinda irritating since I'm used to my M3. First of all, why is 'up' for the single wipe and 'down' is for intermittent yet 'further up' is continuous? I was constantly toggling up/down and turning the intermittent dial. Add to the fact that when at a stop my M3's intermittent wiper would stop. The Boxster's just keeps going. So I'm constantly having to fiddle with the intervals while in stop-and-go-traffic. It can't possibly cost that much more for speed-sensitive wiper intervals???!!!

But at least my top didn't leak.
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 09:12 AM   #7

Agree, the commands for wipers are no way near a BMW or even a very simple car...and they need constant attention....
Old 10-21-2004, 05:15 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Subanez
This past weekend I drove an 800 mile round-trip to Boston, and the drive back through Vermont was at night during the pouring rain.

I actually Drove Route 9, which I think is the route that the New England meet just took. It was phenominal! My girlfriend was having almost as much fun as I was. :-) The Traction control is a very good friend in the wind, rain and leaves, especially at night.

Starting on this Tuesday, I will be leaving on a 1,300 mile road trip to MIssissippi from New York...and that's where I will stay.

I'll let you know how 1,300 miles in 3 days feels when I get there!

"I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. And then I ran some more." -Fight Club
Subanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 09:44 AM   #9

that is one long trip !!!! I would be in Portugal if I'd drive 1300 miles :-) lol