Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Porsche Cayman Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-11-2023, 10:59 PM   #1

Garage
Should I buy this Cayman?

2008 Cayman, 100K miles with a confusing history.

This car is 7 states away and I drove it yesterday and it was pretty solid. I'm trying to decided if it makes sense to put out $500+ for a PPI on this car or if I should let it go. With a green light from Livermore Porsche I would drive it home in a month or so.

It was driven 90K over 10 years in Hawaii and then was flood damaged and totaled by the insurer. How bad? How deep? Fresh water or salt water? Unknown, but it appears to have been running throughout. Owner says it was actually a water heater leak in the prior owner's garage, but I don't know if he really knows that. I know water damage can be a black box of headaches but I got away with it on a flooded Saab for 4 years once so maybe my luck will continue.

Current owner bought it at auction in CA, appears to have driven it 10K in his first two years with it, and just a few hundred miles in the last 2 years.

I drove it from cold. Starting up, it spat about a half cup of water out within 10 seconds. Seemed like way too much to me. Seller said it was because it was a high compression engine, but IDK, my '99 Boxster never does that. It didn't dump any more water that I saw after that.

While on the exhaust topic, does that tip look custom or stock? It was a little noisier than I expected, and plenty noisier than my '99.

On the console, is the little shock image on the button next to the spoiler button the PASM? The car doesn't really have any other options, FWIW.

If CarFax can be trusted, the car had a weird history in Hawaii of having "Title or registration issued" many many times with the same owner, on the same title at weird intervals: 10 months, then 14 months, then 4, 6, 9, 7, 5, 4, 14, 12, 10, 11, 2, 10, and 6 months, and then the salvage title was issued. ?? A couple of those were "Registration issued or renewed" but I couldn't see a pattern.

Not sure if this link will work for you- still works for me but might be cookies at work here:

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/vdp.action?listingId=357698820&entitySelectingHelp er.selectedEntity=d993&pid=mini_vdp_main_image#lis ting=357698820

Thanks!

Last edited by MikeMcMo; 07-11-2023 at 11:02 PM.
MikeMcMo is offline   Reply With Quote