Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2007, 03:31 AM   #1

Toyo R888 Tyre Sizes on 17" Rims

G'day all,

I've had a pretty good search across the forum but can't find an answer to my question - apologies if this has indeed been convered elsewhere but it's midnight, I'm still at work and I can't find anything right now...

Anyway, I've picked up a spare set of OEM 17" Boxster S rims for my MY02 S for track days, and once the existing Bridgestone S-02s are worn out I'm planning to replace them with Toyo R888s.

The rear tyres aren't a problem - the Toyos are available in 255/40 17 - but they don't seem to make a 205/50 17 tyre to exactly match the standard size on the Boxster S fronts. The closest they can offer is 205/40 17 or 215/45 17.

(Note that these are Australian availabilities - perhaps other sizes are available in the US / elsewhere but that doesn't help me too much...)

From what I can gather, both sizes *should* be okay on the 7Jx17 front rims, but I'd really prefer to back that up with real-world experience, so if anyone has/is running either of these sizes on a standard Boxster S 17" wheel I would really appreciate the feedback.

Thanks,

James

jamesatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 03:48 AM   #2
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
I think what you should be using actually is 225/45 for the 17 inch fronts if you are upsizing from the stock 205/50. The 225/45 is closest in overall diameter to the stock size, and Porsche even issues an N rating for the Pirelli Pzero directional front tire in such a size.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 04:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy
I think what you should be using actually is 225/45 for the 17 inch fronts if you are upsizing from the stock 205/50. The 225/45 is closest in overall diameter to the stock size, and Porsche even issues an N rating for the Pirelli Pzero directional front tire in such a size.
Boxtaboy,

Thanks for the advice - I didn't realise a 225/45 would be okay on a 7" wide rim? If so, that's certainly quite handy as the 225/45 size is cheaper than either of the other sizes I was looking at for that size rim...

I guess if Porsche approved a Pirelli tyre in that size for that width wheel it must be okay.

Thanks again,

James

jamesatfish is offline   Reply With Quote