Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2007, 09:26 PM   #1

Removing Stock Exhaust...

So I pulled off the stock exhaust on my 02 S today for a GHL. GHL was a breeze to install. Getting the stock exhaust off, not so much. Since the exhaust is part of the crash structure Porsche engineered, its in there VERY well. Were I to do this again, I would absolutely remove the rear bumper to do this. Getting the upper bolts out is a ridiculous chore. I'd say if your shop will do this for an hour's labor I'd have it done. Swapping various aftermarket systems seems very easy, but getting the stock out is a royal PITA

Just thought I'd share.....

Patrick

Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 10:55 PM   #2

Yikes. How long did it take you to get it off and how long did the install take?
Old 02-26-2007, 03:43 AM   #3
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Took me and a buddy 1 1/2 hours to swap out my stock exhaust for the dansk, and that includes taking off the rear bumper, spoiler and some heat shields to do it. It's easier to take the exhaust off this way as it gives you much more room to do your work, but then again, you have to take off all these other parts and then also put them back.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 12:29 PM   #4
Ex Esso kid

It's not a tough job, especially once you know the clamps are splined, on a lift the top bots are easy too.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 08:38 AM   #5

As I said in my previous post, you really HAVE to take off the rear bumper. I managed to do it without, but it was very much not a fun project. When I asked my local dealer after the fact and they said they would only charge and hour labor for it....I was a lil upset lol.

The way I see it, if your dealer will do it for $75 I'd just let them do it. If you have a lift and can remove the rear bumper, not a bad job. Laying on your back under the car without the rear bumper on I cant recommend....

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:30 PM   #6
jakesbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy View Post
Took me and a buddy 1 1/2 hours to swap out my stock exhaust for the dansk, and that includes taking off the rear bumper, spoiler and some heat shields to do it. It's easier to take the exhaust off this way as it gives you much more room to do your work, but then again, you have to take off all these other parts and then also put them back.

Was there any issue taking out all the heat shield and the steel brace on the rear?
2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:11 PM   #7

I recently removed my stock exhaust as well up to the headers and It was not difficult, but it did take a bit of trial and error finding the muffler nuts with the socket wrench by feel alone. But not hard to remove once your on it.

Took about 3 hours to remove and install mufler and 2nd cat delete pipes.

I jacked up the rear only on jackstands as it produces the perfect angle for getting at everything.

No splined bolts to contend with either and I gave everything a good soaking with wd40 before getting started and had no nut/bolt issues.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 09-14-2013 at 09:14 PM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:21 PM   #8
pjq

2004 S
When I did my exhaust, the original bolts and nuts were suppose to be a 13mm but they must have rusted enough that I had much better luck with 1/2 inch wrench especially on the manifold bolts.
pjq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:43 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjq View Post
2004 S
When I did my exhaust, the original bolts and nuts were suppose to be a 13mm but they must have rusted enough that I had much better luck with 1/2 inch wrench especially on the manifold bolts.
The cheaper the tool the higher the fit tolerance. My Craftsman 6point socket fits 13mm fasteners perfectly.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:37 AM   #10
pjq

Good piece of advice to know Bypro.
pjq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:50 AM   #11

How do you like it?

New Porsche owner here guys, hope you don't mine me jumping in. I'm curious, did you install this Dansk muffler system onto the existing manifolds and CATs? Or did you go with a header setup? How do you like the Dansk so far in terms of sound, performance upgrade, ease of installation, etc? Currently shopping around, any input would sure he appreciated! Thanks
Dave2001S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:02 AM   #12
jakesbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2001S View Post
New Porsche owner here guys, hope you don't mine me jumping in. I'm curious, did you install this Dansk muffler system onto the existing manifolds and CATs? Or did you go with a header setup? How do you like the Dansk so far in terms of sound, performance upgrade, ease of installation, etc? Currently shopping around, any input would sure he appreciated! Thanks
For what it is worth - i have now owned 2 boxster and rid myself of both OE mufflers (still have the 2nd OE Muffler sitting now in my garage if anyone wants to purchase it...). My first was the Fabspeed maxflo and the one I just installed is the GHL. Both are catback systems so no messing with anything additional, just plug and play. The install was actually quite interesting taking the back end of the car apart. I took mine all the way down to just looking at the exhaust so rear bumper, brace, heat shields, etc were all taken off. I did NOT have to jack the car up as once the back end was off, it was very simpple. Hardes part was getting one of the U pipes out of the stock muffler. the other was shearing off a hex bolt that holds one side of the rear spoiler. had to make a run to Ace Hardware to get a tiny drill bit and reverse bit to get it out. Took me about 4 hours from beginning to end but that is because I went slow, marked everything I took off, took some breaks, and took my time putting it back together.

I was nervous as hell when I started but now I could do it in no time flat and have all the confidence in the world.
2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:08 AM   #13

Cat back?

Thanks, when you say "CAT back" system, what does that mean? Will that work in CA?
Old 09-18-2013, 03:27 PM   #14

nevermind

sorry guys, nevermind, I already answered my question