Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2007, 09:43 AM   #81

I can't figure out how to remove the blinds w/out breaking it. I see it has little snaps.

I have no clue what to do. Neither of the guides really explain how to do it.

Old 03-04-2007, 01:05 PM   #82

Probably a dumb question, but just want to confirm that you only need to de-snorkel on driver's side???

Thanks in advance,

Jeff
jwilson95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 01:07 PM   #83
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilson95
Probably a dumb question, but just want to confirm that you only need to de-snorkel on driver's side???

Thanks in advance,

Jeff
Jeff, correct, the passanger side vents are for cooling.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:17 PM   #84

I got to the "Pull out the tube" and mine just does not want to come out. I pulled and shaked that thing until I was afraid I was going to break something.

What gives?

2002 986S

Jeff
jwilson95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 05:09 PM   #85

I had the same issue, I pulled and shook it and it just wouldn't budge. I was pulling pretty hard and I was afraid I was going to rip something out. After three trials I went on the net got some encouragement and once again went and pulled it as hard as I could, it finally came out after a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilson95
I got to the "Pull out the tube" and mine just does not want to come out. I pulled and shaked that thing until I was afraid I was going to break something.

What gives?

2002 986S

Jeff
alikhan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 08:05 PM   #86

Anyone got an idea about how to remove the blinds?
Old 03-13-2007, 11:17 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisimoto
Yes. My race team is sponsored by K&N. In the next couple of weeks, I will order a K&N filter from the factory for the S and post results as well.

Ed, I am willing and able to test the exhaust systems. I have also ordered a Porsche System Tester 2 to assist with my diagnosis during testing. Thanks for the kind words, and I will keep all informed of my data aquisition.
Can't wait to see the results.
When are you planning to do this?
jpcolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 04:13 PM   #88

I desnorkeled my Boxster S yesterday. I had the same issue with it not wanting to come out. I pulled really hard several times and it wouldn't budge. I was afraid of breaking something. Then I tried twisting and pulling. You can't twist much due to the very tight space but it finally came out.

I really hope this is worth it because it will no doubt be a pain in the ass to put it back in.
2000SoCalBoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 04:55 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche986spyder
I agree. I look at the dyno results. I think it speaks for itself. By the way the link the other guy posted by PCA says he thinks by doing this we are removing the cooler air from the outside!?! Makes no sence, all we are doing is removing something that is restricting the air flow, not REMOVING the air flow all together, nor are we re-directing it from some place else, like from the inside of the engine. It will still pull the air from the outside! Look how close the opening is to the vents.
I agree the air temp arguement doesn't really make sense. There is no heat source in that small vent cavity to warm up the air flowing in. How much difference could that snorkel tube really make in air temp? Besides, does the car not work perfectly fine in Florida or SoCal when the outside temps are very high, and in the Mid West and Northeast when the temps are very low? The enigine is computerized and designed to function and compensate at a wide temperature range.

I think that Snorkel has more to do with accelerating or focusing the air flow to the airbox. I'd like to know more about the aerodynamic design of that Snorkel.
2000SoCalBoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 07:21 PM   #90

hey bisi,

did you get around to dyno testing the K & N air filter? Or has anybody else seen a dyno test for the K & N air filter?

If the filter added 5 hp and the de snorkel added 5 hp , 10 hp would be a nice gain and maybe even a more little fuel economy.
Supercharged Viper SRT-10 800 HP Special Edition #49 of #50 (current)
Ferrari 360 Spider
Lamborghini Diablo VT Roadster
911 Cab
Boxster S (current)
08 Hummer H2 (current)
BMW Z3 (current)

Limos in Ohio and PA - First Class Limo Columbus Limos

http://pteam.net/avatar3.jpg
my car collection *Porschephiles agree, Desnorkify your Porsche!*
pteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 09:08 PM   #91

ok I just did the snorkel mod.

My girlfriend was convinced that it wouldnt add any sound to the car.

Afterwards she was proven wrong!!!!

She admits the car does sound admirably louder. And if you look at the snorkel from where the air enters it, that cup blocks 30-40% of the air coming straight in , the air would have to go up and over the cup, also the snorkel iteself ovbiously takes up space in the intake tube, so that would be less air in there, which would equate less horsepower.
Ferrari 360 Spider
911 Cab
Boxster S (current)
08 Hummer H2 (current)
BMW Z3 (current)

Old 06-19-2007, 08:19 AM   #92
Ray

I did the modification to my 99' Box and I am quite impressed. It is noticeably louder after 3k RPM. It does have more pickup after the modification; at least that's my experience.

This website has a very good "how to" de-snorkel:

http://www.ppbb.com/boards/ppbbphp/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=ARCHIVES&Number=820409&Forum=ARCHIVES&Words=10min&Match=Entire

A couple of points:
1) When removing the snorkel I grabbed it and gave a quick hard yank, it came out immediately.

2) Make sure you push on the slats in the correct locations. That was the hardest part for me.
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 10:33 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by pteam
She admits the car does sound admirably louder. And if you look at the snorkel from where the air enters it, that cup blocks 30-40% of the air coming straight in , the air would have to go up and over the cup, also the snorkel iteself ovbiously takes up space in the intake tube, so that would be less air in there, which would equate less horsepower.
I've seen the tray that you mentioned on a 97 model, but my snorkel doesn't have a tray at the end. I would imagine cars without the tray wouldn't benefit as much from a desnork for the reasons you mentioned above. Does anyone know when they did away with the tray? My guess would be 03, but I'm not certain.

Last edited by Adam; 06-19-2007 at 10:37 AM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 10:58 AM   #94

Porschephiles and critics agree, Desnorklefy your Porsche!!!
Ferrari 360 Spider
911 Cab
Boxster S (current)
08 Hummer H2 (current)
BMW Z3 (current)

Old 07-06-2007, 12:23 PM   #95

Bisimoto thanks for this tread, wil de snorkel mine.
Hope I can do it and totall un mechanical
motoadve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 07:34 PM   #96

Thanks

Bismoto thanks for the info. I desnoked my 2.7 a while ago & definately felt a slight diffeerence.

Looking forwrad to your reports on K&N filter & anything else you might cook up.

Congrats

2000 2.7 Boxster
aussieboxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 06:12 AM   #97

@ Bisimoto, do you think any gain would be had on desnorkeling a 03 or 04 boxster that lacks the "shovel" at the end of the snorkel? If so, do you think it would be a less significant gain? Also, did you get the results in on the K&N filter?

If any 2003 or 2004 owners out there have desnorked I'd like to hear your opinions as well. Thanks!
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 04:50 AM   #98

Bisimoto

Keep up the good work. Its amazing how many people replied without any dyno of their own to show different results... All theory!

I am having trouble with allowing enough air in a cold air box setup using a K&N filter. The car a 3.4 ltr Boxster can't produce any power above 4000 rpm with the air filter but its goes like a rocket with the air filter removed.

I have been asking K&N for assistance with no response from Tech department.

I have 3.5 inch tubing from the TB to the approximate former location of the stock air box that has been replaced with an aluminium shaped cold air intake drawing air from the side vent. The filter I have is cone shaped with a filter on the sides and at the end of the cone rather than having a typical end cap. RX something as I am on vacation and don't have the number with me.

I am looking for a filter that will allow enough air to the motor 3.4 ltr headers and free flow exhaust system.

Thanks

catmanluge
catmanluge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 05:05 AM   #99

Wtf?

Hey I know that they are kinda new in the Porsche world, but they are making a lot of waves and I'm sure the quality is just as good as K&N. There is a company called Evolution Motorsports and I'll almost bet my left nut that those guys could help you out on that whole intake problem that you have. Besides, my buddy owns EBS and he said that the best filters for the 986's are dry element because the MAF sensor is a little touchy.
boxster_s_boy_34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:46 AM   #100
Carnut

BUMP! Intereresting read....