Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2007, 05:18 PM   #1

Thumbs up Chip/ECU Flashed from Powerchip Today

I read the post regarding having our cars Chipped or Flashed and was looking at having this done so gave it a try. So many different companies out there it can be a tough choice. Gave Powerchip a call earlier this week and set it up to be completed this Saturday morning at 10:00am.
Hats off to Travis and Matt I must say they were very professional over the phone and took the time to answer all my questions and did the same during the appointment today.
Results were the following:
- How much faster (feel Meter only) it had some gains that I felt
- Shifts points are very smooth especially from 1st – 3rd
- Slight increase in idle but not to heavy
- Large difference in take off from a complete stop and during shifts points
- Exhaust (Fabspeed) sounds a bit deeper
- No CEL
Would I pay to do this again, yes! Also note that another customer came in when Matt first started working on mine and mentioned that he has brought 4 different cars to them and had another two outside waiting for him.
Good clean shop, they mentioned that when the Fabspeed Headers are installed to bring it back in so they can adjust the F/A Ratio, etc…
In all a very pleasant experience and happy with the results…

987 2006 Lapis Blue

CALI 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 07:31 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALI 1
Would I pay to do this again, yes!
Speaking of,what was the total $$$ if you don't mind me asking?
Old 02-17-2007, 09:48 PM   #3

Cost was $600 + tax $649.50 normal price on web site is $900+.
They kept the charge the same price he stated on his post.
Went out for a late night run in the city and the shift points are great!
Old 02-17-2007, 09:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALI 1
Cost was $600 + tax $649.50 normal price on web site is $900+.
They kept the charge the same price he stated on his post.
Went out for a late night run in the city and the shift points are great!
Did you ask them if it will be OK with smog test in CA? Just curious.
jinijazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 10:26 PM   #5

I sure did ask Matt about the emissions and he stated that they have passed not sure if that means all or some but either way. Also asked about any problems with the CEL coming on and he said it should not. They seem very straight forward plus you get a 3 year warranty and a 14 satisfaction guarantee.
I am also going back once I get the headers installed so they can re calibrate the F/A etc…
Old 02-18-2007, 04:42 AM   #6

Oh, 600?

I read their site a few days ago and saw it was 1498.

I am definitely buying it now. Thank you for sharing your experience
Old 02-18-2007, 07:18 AM   #7

I first talked with Travis form Powerchip a day or so later after the post on our forum, in which the $600 price was listed. Mine is also a base Boxster not sure if that makes a difference.
Either way I did mention the 986 forum and he honored that.
Call them and see what they say, also post the results of your dealings I think it will be positive.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:50 AM   #8

I called but they're only open M-F.

So I will call tomorrow and see what's up.

I am excited about this.
Old 02-18-2007, 12:05 PM   #9

Keep us posted, Bavarian Motorist

I'm planning on REVO, maybe someday all chipped 987 owners get together and make a 'real world experience' report. Anyone with GIAC'ed 987?
Old 02-19-2007, 08:57 AM   #10

I tried calling multiple times and no answer.

I left a message for Trav

Maybe because of the holiday?
Old 02-19-2007, 10:46 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinijazz
Keep us posted, Bavarian Motorist

I'm planning on REVO, maybe someday all chipped 987 owners get together and make a 'real world experience' report. Anyone with GIAC'ed 987?
GIAC doesn't offer 987 programming yet, unfortunately - otherwise I'd be on it; it isn't in their long range plan either, through summer.

Am I the only one who does not understand what the original poster is talking about in referring to the shift points. This is commonly understood as the engine speed at which one shifts into a given gear, no? Chipping doesn't change anything in that regard. Why would it be any less or more smooth afterward?
John Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 11:33 AM   #12

I'm in So Cal also, where is Powerchip located? I was thinking of going with the Revo chip myself, but that sounds pretty nice if they are taking care of you and the price is actually less than the Revo re-flash. Although the Revo is done by my local Porsche mechanic and so they would probably take care of me also. Fun stuff!
Ex911Ownr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 01:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex911Ownr
I'm in So Cal also, where is Powerchip located? I was thinking of going with the Revo chip myself, but that sounds pretty nice if they are taking care of you and the price is actually less than the Revo re-flash. Although the Revo is done by my local Porsche mechanic and so they would probably take care of me also. Fun stuff!
They're located in West L.A.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:44 PM   #14

How is this PowerChip any different from...

How is this PowerChip any different from the Jet Performance Chips? They do the same thing. Re-map your stock ECU. Anyone know which is better. Jet is certainly allot cheaper. Only $275.99!

http://www.performancecenter.com/products?category_name_sub=Factory+ECU+Upgrades&category_name=Chips+%26+Programmers&clearance=0&step=0

Last edited by porsche986spyder; 02-19-2007 at 02:53 PM.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 04:51 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche986spyder
How is this PowerChip any different from the Jet Performance Chips? They do the same thing. Re-map your stock ECU. Anyone know which is better. Jet is certainly allot cheaper. Only $275.99!

http://www.performancecenter.com/products?category_name_sub=Factory+ECU+Upgrades&category_name=Chips+%26+Programmers&clearance=0&step=0

It says 05 Boxster up there, but it doesn't say 06 or 07. Granted, the 05 is the same as those, but I think they made an error and they only re-map for 986s.

I have a 987

Powerchip is appealing because it comes w/ a warranty AND a guarantee for a good price.
Old 02-19-2007, 04:59 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Y
GIAC doesn't offer 987 programming yet, unfortunately - otherwise I'd be on it; it isn't in their long range plan either, through summer.

Am I the only one who does not understand what the original poster is talking about in referring to the shift points. This is commonly understood as the engine speed at which one shifts into a given gear, no? Chipping doesn't change anything in that regard. Why would it be any less or more smooth afterward?
Hi,

First, without trying to start any flames, I've rarely met anyone who spent $600 (or such) on an upgrade who's own personal Butt Dyno didn't confirm the money as well spent, not casting aspersions in any way, but don't consider such reports as truly reliable.

But, on point, as the power and torque curves change through the RPM range from the upgrade, the shift points can change (early or late) as a result. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 08:00 PM   #17

Can idle rpm change?

I think that would affect engaging 1st gear from a stop.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:21 PM   #18

MNBoxster thanks for better explaining the shift points that I was referencing on being smoother.
You said it best, but, on point, as the power and torque curves change through the RPM range from the upgrade, the shift points can change (early or late)
On the reliable comment, just posted what the vehicle seems to do in comparison from when I drove it of the dealer lot and the past eight months.
Dyno meter is the best way to go but for the price I paid felt it should be done once the headers are in and it has been re-flashed.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:02 PM   #19

Believe or not, hp is not what I primarily want from REVO.
I was planning to get Sport Chrono. Some people call Sport Chrono a gimmik, but I liked it. (Not the watch on the dashboard though).

Well not after I had a chance to drive REVO'ed 986 for a day. I have to admit I was very impressed with REVO. With added hp if any, I call it Sport Chrono with steroid for the same price or less (and no watch). No I don't buy "Less PSM" argument.

I'm still on the fence because of lack of information on warranty and emission issue. If somebody have experience or more insight on that, I'd appreciate any comment.

Last edited by jinijazz; 02-19-2007 at 11:24 PM.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:14 AM   #20

http://www.performancecenter.com/products?category_name_sub=Factory+ECU+Upgrades&category_name=Chips+%26+Programmers&clearance=0&step=0[/QUOTE]

These are offered for ALL 97-04 Boxsters!

porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote