Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2007, 05:38 PM   #1

Cat bypass pipes for '00 S

Looking into a set of the Fabspeed cat bypass pipes for my '00 S to use with the stock exhaust. Does anyone have experience with these? Performance Increase? Are these excessively loud? Resonance? There is a 25 LB weight reduction in the rear of the car and they look fairly easy to install.

Thanks!

supersparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 05:44 PM   #2
boggtown

Stay away from cat bypasses. They dont help performance and make your car run lousy. If you want something to help, get sport cats.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:57 PM   #3

Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggtown
Stay away from cat bypasses. They dont help performance and make your car run lousy. If you want something to help, get sport cats.
WRONG WRONG WRONG

BYPASS PIPES FROM FABSPEED.... delete second pair of cats only.i have them and performance is better and sound is more sporty. running lousy is bs...second pair of cats are after both sets of o2 sensors.fabspeeds website has videos and or call them direct...no check engine light
CHE'S CAT BACK
EIBACH LOWERING SPRINGS
clear lens
DAAM421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 06:47 PM   #4
boggtown

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=11965&hl=fabspeed+cat+bypass
Old 01-30-2007, 08:13 PM   #5

Fabspeed does make some good stuff. The real issue of debate here, as far as I know, is that differing years of Boxsters have 02 sensors after the 2nd cats and some dont. If your car has Lambda sensors after the 2nd cats, and you remove them, yes the ECU is going to be pissed off. It will think that the mixture is way off and try to either compensate or simply run in limp mode. There is also a potential issue when running high flow cats, as you have still changed the flow rates of the exhaust system, as well as the fact that high flow cats are good enough to pass emission testing, are usually not as clean as factory cats, and may still piss off the ECU if there are Lambda sensors after the high flow cats.

I am also thinking about doing the Fabspeed high flow catted headers and cat bypass pipes WITH THEIR ECU, as hypthetically they have mapped it properly and it should run great. Reality is anyone's guess though. At the end of the day, the ideal solution is a custom map for your specific car, with your specific mods, and in your specific location (elevation, temps, humidity, etc).

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 07:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersparker
Looking into a set of the Fabspeed cat bypass pipes for my '00 S to use with the stock exhaust. Does anyone have experience with these? Performance Increase? Are these excessively loud? Resonance? There is a 25 LB weight reduction in the rear of the car and they look fairly easy to install.

Thanks!
I have the Fabspeed bypasses on my car and they resulted in no additional resonance. I coupled it with the Porsche Sport Exhaust just so I would have no resonance. There was no detectable performance increase (no detectable decrease either). I believe that you would feel an increase in power if done in conjunction with intake and re-mapping. The sound change is not that significant. The installation is very easy. Three bolts/nuts to the header and the slip connection on the back. I was very impressed with the quality, fit, and finish of the product. It was a little pricey but a top quality product.
ROW M030 Suspension
Front & Rear Strut Braces
B&M Short Shift & EVO Billet Linkage
steve00s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 08:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm750
Fabspeed does make some good stuff. The real issue of debate here, as far as I know, is that differing years of Boxsters have 02 sensors after the 2nd cats and some dont. If your car has Lambda sensors after the 2nd cats, and you remove them, yes the ECU is going to be pissed off.
Patrick
Patrick, 97-99 boxsters only have one pair of cats. 2000+ boxsters have two pairs of cats. One set of pre-cats on the exhaust manifold and one set of main cats further down stream by the muffler. The Lamda sensors on the 2000+ cars are just fore and aft of the pre-cats. The Fabspeed bypass pipes and similar systems out there just elimate the main cats further down stream that contain no lamda/O2 sensors which is why they claim no CEL issues.

Last edited by Adam; 01-31-2007 at 08:13 AM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 08:49 PM   #8

bypass pipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve00s
I have the Fabspeed bypasses on my car and they resulted in no additional resonance. I coupled it with the Porsche Sport Exhaust just so I would have no resonance. There was no detectable performance increase (no detectable decrease either). I believe that you would feel an increase in power if done in conjunction with intake and re-mapping. The sound change is not that significant. The installation is very easy. Three bolts/nuts to the header and the slip connection on the back. I was very impressed with the quality, fit, and finish of the product. It was a little pricey but a top quality product.

i second that notion....had the same feell on my 01 s.

sifuran is offline   Reply With Quote