Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2007, 11:56 AM   #1

Automatic trans question

I have a 99 Boxster and when it first starts up (cold) all is fine, but when it warms up, transmission fluid literally sprays from what appears to be the top of the trans. I havent had a chance to check it out yet, but being a sealed trans, is there anything specific that could be causing this? I find it hard to believe that at only 60k miles it would have trans failure. The dealer has done all the scheduled maintenance including a fluid and gasket change but not filter on the trans just 2 months ago.

Any info would be helpful, thanks.

ntroffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 01:08 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntroffroad
I have a 99 Boxster and when it first starts up (cold) all is fine, but when it warms up, transmission fluid literally sprays from what appears to be the top of the trans. I havent had a chance to check it out yet, but being a sealed trans, is there anything specific that could be causing this? I find it hard to believe that at only 60k miles it would have trans failure. The dealer has done all the scheduled maintenance including a fluid and gasket change but not filter on the trans just 2 months ago.

Any info would be helpful, thanks.
That's normal. You should be OK.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 01:49 PM   #3

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
I dont think its normal for ATF to be spraying out of the top of the tranny in any car. Take it back to the dealer and have them look at . A tranny is nothing you want to play with.... DOUBLE MEANING lol.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 01:54 PM   #4

Hi,

If I'm reading you correctly, you have ATF spraying out of the transmission onto the ground? If so, this is definitely NOT normal and NOT OK.

There are several components which insert through the transmission case such as the Transmission Gear Position Switch, Coolant Changeover Valve, ATF Temperature Sensor, Input and Output Speed Sensors. It sounds as if one of these components and/or it's gasket has failed, did Dealer service any of these items? The timeframe involved makes that conspicuous.

It would be best to have the car towed to the Dealer for service. If you lose too much ATF and the car is run, you run a very high risk of destroying the Transmission. Keep us posted on what's happening. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

PS I'm curious why the Dealer would do a Fluid and Gasket change and not change the Filter. What was their reason for skipping this?
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 02:30 PM   #5

I realize this is not normal or even ok, I was just explaining the situation to see if anyone had any ideas on where to begin the search. I bought the car from my mother since after a week at the dealer and many different high dollar excuses they finally ended up with telling her it needed a new transmission and it would be $10k just for parts. Just in case this really is the problem, I have already located a 40k miles trans for $2500. I will not be taking the car back to the dealer, ever. They dont seem very competent in diagnosing problems, initially they told her it was a motor oil leak they could fix for $2k. After she explained to me what lead up to her taking it in to the shop, I had told her it sounded like a trans problem that she in turn asked the dealer about and thats when they said the trans was gone. She asked what they would give her for it on a trade in for a new boxster and they said $5k. So I bought the car she has loved and babied for the last 8 years and she is driving a new MBZ. I was going through all her paperwork when I found out about the ATF change with no filter (in Nov.), thats just another thing that makes me think the trans might be OK and they just didnt really check anything. I will start taking things apart in the next few weeks and post what I find. And no, I have never worked on a porsche before but do have a mechanical background. How difficult could it be!
Old 01-26-2007, 02:38 PM   #6

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Try doing this, talk to a non-dealer porsche mechanic and tell them that you had the dealer repair a leak in the trasmission, Say that it was a leak around a hose or sensor and that the dealer wants you to pay again for them to fix what they didnt fix, This will atleast trick the mechanic into thinking you already know what the issue is and wont assume you need a replacement, That way they will try to source the leak FIRST before diagnosing it as a totally bad transmission.

If you just took it to them and said the tranny is bad cause dealer said so, they will likely not try to find the leak.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 05:53 PM   #7

It is possiable that they just over filled it with fluid.
wvicary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 07:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvicary
That's what it sounds like to me. Either that or they didn't get a good seal on the gasket.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 09:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvicary
Hi,

They could well have overfilled it, especially since ATF has such a large expansion coefficient. The Coolant and the tranny have to be between 80°F & 100°F when filled. If over this temp, the tranny will be underfilled, if under, the tranny will be overfilled.

The problem is, there is no vent for ATF to escape from. An Automatic does pressurize the fluid and so it may be able (if overfilled) to force past one of the ancillaries I mentioned. I'd start by checking these for the source of the fluid.

FYI, the Tiptronic S rarely fails. One of the Dealerships here in MSP has never had to service any of their Boxster TipS cars aside from normal fluid/filter changes, at least that's what the Service Mgr. told me...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 07:33 AM   #10

Thanks for all the info, glad to hear there is no vent so it has to be coming out of something attached to the trans. I am starting to make room for it in the garage today, I'm anxious to get it in the air so I can start taking it apart.
Thanks again for the info.
Old 01-27-2007, 07:59 AM   #11

There should be a vent for the transmission, it is often cast into the housing and is concealed in the torque convertor area. I can't say if the Boxster uses the same set up but do know for a fact that the automatics that I've worked on do have a vent.

In any event, it's easy enough to over/under fill this type unit and you should return to the dealer for repair.
wvicary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 08:58 AM   #12

Thanks for all the info, glad to hear there is no vent so it has to be coming out of something attached to the trans. I am starting to make room for it in the garage today, I'm anxious to get it in the air so I can start taking it apart.
Thanks again for the info.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Kill
That's normal. You should be OK.
Yeah, I was just kidding here. That sounds like a terrible problem - I just had no useful information to add.

I hppe you are able to fix your problem and it is not too costly.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote