Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2007, 04:56 AM   #1

Will adding chip, cold air intake , Exhaust System, and headers be a waste?

I live in Costa Rica, and the only way to upgrade from my triptronic Boxster 05 to and S will have to be buying a new one, and that will cost me my current car plus $40,000 .
So its not an option.
Im stuck with the triptronic too , sometimes I love it (traffic)and sometimes I hate it (Twisty mountain roads).

I wouldnt mind more power so is it a waste of money to add a chip, cold air intake , Exhaust System, and headers?
Will it gain anything? or just better sound?

motoadve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 05:26 AM   #2

motoadv,

From what I have read on the PCA tech Q&A and from other sources. The horse power gain from chips, headers, exhausts, cold air intakes do not justify the cost. In some case, these mods reduce horse power.

The best way to gain horse power is to swap the engine.

Good Luck,
Old 01-24-2007, 05:50 AM   #3

That's what I have read too nad I find it pretty amazing they make all this products if there is no gain, and all of them claim increse hp.
Is that a market made of people not telling the truth?

On the other side I have raced bikes for 15 years and the mods make a big difference, a new pipe and filter will make a difference on a bike.
motoadve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 09:37 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFERR
motoadv,

From what I have read on the PCA tech Q&A and from other sources. The horse power gain from chips, headers, exhausts, cold air intakes do not justify the cost. In some case, these mods reduce horse power.

The best way to gain horse power is to swap the engine.

Good Luck,

I don't think you will lose power if you mod it with Ruf.
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 09:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoadve
I live in Costa Rica, and the only way to upgrade from my triptronic Boxster 05 to and S will have to be buying a new one, and that will cost me my current car plus $40,000 .
So its not an option.
Im stuck with the triptronic too , sometimes I love it (traffic)and sometimes I hate it (Twisty mountain roads).

I wouldnt mind more power so is it a waste of money to add a chip, cold air intake , Exhaust System, and headers?

I've got GIAC chip, EVO intake and Cargraphic exhaust, I haven't dynoed, but I can "feel" the car being slightly faster and more responsive. It certainly sounds that way!
yellowbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 11:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbox
I've got GIAC chip, EVO intake and Cargraphic exhaust, I haven't dynoed, but I can "feel" the car being slightly faster and more responsive. It certainly sounds that way!
Ahhh yes, the infamous Butt-Dyno...

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 02:47 PM   #7
Ex Esso kid

I saw a dyno result that showed about a ten HP increase, the exact increase fluctuated depending on where you were in the RPM band, ten was the highest. This was for muffler only no headers. I don't know if the data was accurate or not. Most flashtunes I have seen are saying 10hp 10 torque for the 2.5 motor, again I don't know it that's true. IMHO, the butt dyno is really all that matters...
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 04:58 PM   #8

Sometimes the "Butt Dyno" makes you feel the car is lower and faster because your wallet is thinner & lighter
thomschoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 05:08 PM   #9

Imagine Auto's Stage 2 Kit claims 23-28 HP and 25-29 TQ gains for $2200.

If the muffler alone is showing 10 HP on the dyno, I would think that adding a chip and air intake should easily add another 13 - 18 HP

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 05:11 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Alot of these aftermarket companys claim alot but when I request dyno charts they vanish.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoadve
So its not an option.

Hi,

Is it a waste? - YES! The gains are marginal and certainly not in-line with the $$ spent. This is especially true with the Tip S...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 08:44 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
yea this is relly pathetic. for the $ spend and hp gained.

the only thing that i would love to add to my car is some sound
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 05:01 AM   #13

Trade in an 05 Base model plus $40k for a new S??? Sounds like your dealer is trying to rape you...
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 01:09 PM   #14

It may have to do with the type of chip you add to the car. When I had an AutoThority chip installed with a TTP intake, it was quite noticable. It sounded better, I was dynoing around 197hp, but more importantly, the car was much more responsive, which could be seen because the torque curve with the tune was much flatter.

My experience with exhaust mods has not shown to be as cost effective. Going to headers and high-flow cats increased the sound nicely, but only added a little over 5 hp on the dyno. I would do the chip and intake again in a minute, but would not go down the header/cat path again as just was not cost very effective. Live and learn....

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 01:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
Alot of these aftermarket companys claim alot but when I request dyno charts they vanish.
I am considering taking a trip to IA this spring and having the Stage 2 installed with a before and after dyno.

I'll make sure to post the results to see if it was worth it or not...

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 01:15 PM   #16
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by porscheracer
I don't think you will lose power if you mod it with Ruf.

Very true....just a lot of ca$h!!
Old 01-25-2007, 02:13 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by edevlin
It may have to do with the type of chip you add to the car. When I had an AutoThority chip installed with a TTP intake, it was quite noticable. It sounded better, I was dynoing around 197hp, but more importantly, the car was much more responsive, which could be seen because the torque curve with the tune was much flatter.

My experience with exhaust mods has not shown to be as cost effective. Going to headers and high-flow cats increased the sound nicely, but only added a little over 5 hp on the dyno. I would do the chip and intake again in a minute, but would not go down the header/cat path again as just was not cost very effective. Live and learn....

Ed

Hi,

I'm not sure the effect a chip would have on a TipS car. The TipS is DME controlled and I don't know if the Maps could handle the new curves or get confused. Any one have any experience with chipping a TipS car?

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote