Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2004, 11:38 AM   #1
Forum Member

Speakers for 2002 Boxter S

Hi, I am new to the forum, and happy to make my first post. I hope it is not inappropriate to make the new thread for this topic. My wife just got a 2002 S with the upgraded stereo. It seems to have speakers in the doors with low-pass filters (I say this because only low frequency comes out of them). The dash has mid-range and high, but it would be nice to have sound come from the rear. We drove a car with the Bose system in it with the rear speakers and sub, and it was great, but the cost was quite high. Does anybody know if there are small, but good quality speakers that will fit in the little holes of the organizer that is located behind the seats? Also, are there enough outputs on the factory radio to drive more speakers, or do I need to put in an amp?

Thanks,
Tim

genevax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 11:51 AM   #2
Forum Contributor

there is a rear speaker kit made for the boxster you can get from the dealer or e-bay. You can put them in yourself it is really easy you do not need an amp they plug right in to the stereo with the connector included with the kit. I put them in my car and I love them. Becareful not to pay too much though. I paid $200 with shipping for the whole kit everything including removal tools wiring and speakers.
BUXSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 01:40 PM   #3

Something like this Bux?

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=P&Product_Code=pna986kit&Category_Code=POTEBXCM
Old 04-06-2004, 01:48 PM   #4

Check out this previous post for more info on installing the Porsche rear speaker kit into that storage bin.
Old 04-06-2004, 03:58 PM   #5
Forum Contributor

yes those are the speakers and suncoast is who I bought them from
Old 04-06-2004, 05:43 PM   #6

Thanks for the link Donv. I've been thinking about doing this myself.

Bux, how was your experience with Suncoast? I only ask because I purchased the clear side markers from them recently and I recieved a tracking number within hours of placing the order. Is this typical? I was pretty impressed.
Old 04-06-2004, 08:20 PM   #7
Forum Contributor

sUNCOAST WAS VERY PROFESSIONAL HAD GREAT COMMUNICATION AND VERY FAST SHIPPING VERY HAPPY!
Old 04-07-2004, 05:18 AM   #8
Forum Member

Wow! That's a lot of information in such a short time. Thanks for the responses. I think I'll go ahead and do this with the product linked on Ebay.

Thanks,
Tim
Old 04-07-2004, 05:46 AM   #9
Forum Contributor

thanks
Old 05-27-2004, 12:13 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to bamaboxster
Just picked up the Suncoast / Becker rear speaker kit. Shipped less than a week right at 200.00

I will follow the directions on the 986 hack site to install them.

I will post how the installation went along with some additional pictures.

Dave
bamaboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 12:29 PM   #11
Forum Member

Good for you. I hope you enjoy them. Please let me know your evaluation of the sound improvement as well as the simplicity of the installation.
Thanks,
Tim
Old 05-28-2004, 08:05 AM   #12

Please remember the following:

Quote:
Originally posted by donv
I've done the PCNA kit and was happy with the result - with the caveat of recommending addition of tweeters as well. You can see my installation on the Boxster hacks site if you're interested.

Note: One change to a step I recommend in the site instructions is to avoid using the hot melt to tack the cables routed along the lip of the storage compartment - I later found out that apparently it gets hot enough under the rear window on a summer day for the glue to become liquid again and seep into the engine cover carpeting. Stick with the Porsche-supplied wire clips (if you can figure out how to use them w/out nicking the wires ) to avoid this.
I really do need to update the hack info so this is covered in the instructions directly...
Old 05-28-2004, 11:00 AM   #13

"sUNCOAST WAS VERY PROFESSIONAL HAD GREAT COMMUNICATION AND VERY FAST SHIPPING VERY HAPPY!"

I can attest to that. I ordered several things from them in the last 2 weeks. Both Ric and Phil were very helpful and courteous, and reliable unlike the NJ dealerships that I've been to.
acf53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 04:38 PM   #14

My sister lives in Sarasota were Suncoast is located. They just redid their Porsche area the Sunday I visited. The parts manager gave me a tour of their entire operation - outstanding. Have bought a number of small items via the web -great service. I always stop in when I'm in town.