Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2007, 03:56 PM   #1

rear speaker hack

Does anyone have any info on this?

rainy day rear speaker install

Looks a bit interesting.

sobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 04:10 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Just install the OEM ones,if you want to fill the presence. If you wanna go world class audio and other super high end gear buy the PnP rear speaker kit off eBay. The Rainyday rear speaker kit looks very....non Porsche/OEM.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:36 PM   #3

Hi,

It does look very interesting, I'm not a real fan of the look, but it is interesting. As Robt. (Blinkwatt) says the Rear Speakers really only provide fill so you aren't only Front Staged in the sound.

But, it has to be noted how poor an Audio Environment a convertible, any convertible, is. Top Up or Down, the cockpit is really too noisey to achieve any truly good audio. Some disagree but that's my opinion.

I would not place a high-end system or $$$ in the Boxster. I've heard mega-buck installs by professionals at some Car Shows, and they just don't match sound vs $$$.

Audio gear also represents Bling for many people, nothing wrong with that. If it does for you, go ahead. It also depends on what you like to listen to. Modern RAP has much less subtlety than say a Mozart Concerto, so you don't need as good a system (except for maybe Bass power) for that. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 07:43 PM   #4

I have the rear speaker kit and not too impressed even if it was just meant to do a "fill". Perhaps I'll replace the crappy speakers it comes with with some decent 2-ways. Do any of you know of mods done to the rear speaker kit? I'm just browsing for options. I've been contemplating creating a custom box so that the install would look similar to the dodge viper's subwoofers:

Just doing a bit of research.. I've looked at the bose option, but haven't heard it. I'm not impressed with the "fill" option of the rear speaker kit I have. We'll maybe I'll get off my lazy but and actually work on this custom box that I was supposed to work on 6 years ago..

Last edited by sobra; 01-10-2007 at 07:47 PM.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:53 PM   #5

Is this big enough?
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 07:59 PM   #6

WOW thats a bit much.. too bulky for me. I'm thinking more of the lines of "ONE" smaller subwoofer. Did you do that box yourself? If so, mind sharing how it was made?
Old 01-10-2007, 08:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobra
I have the rear speaker kit and not too impressed even if it was just meant to do a "fill". Perhaps I'll replace the crappy speakers it comes with with some decent 2-ways. Do any of you know of mods done to the rear speaker kit? I'm just browsing for options... We'll maybe I'll get off my lazy but and actually work on this custom box that I was supposed to work on 6 years ago..
Hi,

Well, anything's doable if you have the skills and the $$ - Go for it!! Good Luck...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 08:53 PM   #8

I too would like more/better sound... I had my Sony head unit installed since my car came with an Alpine CD deck with an AWOL face. Found out I DO have the rear speaker option... but there's not enough bottom end to make the sound 'full' to me.

I'm NOT a hip hop/rap/thumping bassline music liker... I dig more rock, hard rock, loud rock, and more rock on top of that... but I do like having a little bottom end.

Also turns out the PO had a small box built into the front of the passenger side footwell. Looks like probably an 8" woofer was in there. The speaker is gone, and the front cover and grill was hosed in it's removal... but I'm thinking I might get a 5 channel amp, a decent 8" speaker, and replace the door/dash/rear speakers with better quality ones... and maybe get something a little better sounding out of it.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 09:23 PM   #9

This is a bit smaller.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 09:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Pants
This is a bit smaller.
Now that is a bit more like it. Got the specs on that setup? Did you make that yourself? Please share where you are getting all this. =)