Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2007, 11:03 AM   #1

Passenger side mirror doesn't work

Well i just got my window fixed and all the wires replaced on the passenger door and the guy discovered that the mirror on that side does not work but yet the driver's side mirror does. What could be wrong ? Can't be a fuse since they are on the same one.. Give me some advice .. only thing i can think is the switch.

clb0099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 01:03 PM   #2

Hi,

The Switch is on the Drivers Door and so untouched if the Passenger side glass was replaced. I suspect that either a connector wasn't tight or that the wiring harness got kinked during removal/installation of the glass. At least those are the places to start...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 09:15 PM   #3

all the wires in both doors were replaced at different times. The thing is when the driver's side was done i don't remember if the passenger side mirror worked since i rarely change the mirror position. When i had the driver's side wires replaced because the corroded problem causing my window not to have power two days later the passenger side died with the same problem as the other one. So now i ask you with everything being stated .. it's got to be the mirror switch?... could it not work on one side but work on the other? Just in case i picked up a brand new mirror switch from a compnay for 36.74 free shipping so i am hoping this is a quick fix

Last edited by clb0099; 01-09-2007 at 09:50 PM.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:37 AM   #4

Hi,

Just adding a new switch and hoping that it fixes the problem is really the wrong approach.

What you really need is a multimeter to check if you're getting power from the switch and to the Pass. side wiring harness.

This how you really s/b troubleshooting it, and a multimeter can be had for much less than you paid for the switch and you'll have it to help diagnose future issues as well.

Most auto troubleshooting involves eliminating any/all possibilities one by one until you find the issue, it's a sort of detective work. Just starting out by replacing components wastes time and money and doesn't guarantee a fix...

Old 01-10-2007, 07:14 AM   #5

well,

The mechanic i just got the car back from told m he believed it was the switch . So it wasn't like i came up with the idea. I see he multimeter tool ur talking about on ebay any particular one you suggest since there is some many of them .

Last edited by clb0099; 01-10-2007 at 07:20 AM.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb0099
well,

The mechanic i just got the car back from told m he believed it was the switch . So it wasn't like i came up with the idea. I see he multimeter tool ur talking about on ebay any particular one you suggest since there is some many of them .
Hi,

Well, without testing the circuits, even your mechanic is guessing. If he turns out to be right, then it's just blind luck. And, afterall, he's spending your money - he can afford to be wrong.

So far as a multimeter, it all depends upon how much you think you'll use it. They can range from $9.99 to $175 or more. I personally believe in investing in good tools. Over the past 25 yrs. I have acquired more tools than many mechanics. But, they are all used and very good quality tools, bad tools make a job more difficult.

Whatever, you only want a Digital Multimeter. Many of today's circuits in cars use very small voltages. An Analog meter can actually damage them.

Fluke is probably the best brand out there and the one I mainly use, they have many models to choose from, some specifically for automotive applications: http://us.fluke.com/usen/products/categorydmm

The best features to have are: Continuity Testing, AC, DC testing, Resistance (Ohms) Testing and some even have a Temperature Probe. Also, get one with a Rubber jacket so it can take a few knocks and not be damaged.

There are over 700 on eBay right now and there are many different types and costs. A couple are: http://cgi.ebay.com/Digital-MultiTesters-DT-830B-Multimeter-Hand-Tool-Meter_W0QQitemZ300067982991QQihZ020QQcategoryZ5253 4QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem and http://cgi.ebay.com/Digital-Multimeter-DMM-with-Capacitance-Transistor-Temp_W0QQitemZ140070852029QQihZ004QQcategoryZ50964 QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem . The 2nd one is the better of the two, but shop around, I didn't check all the eBay listings.

Once you have one and learn to use it, you'll be amazed at all the uses you find for it, and you'll be starting to build a proper set of tools.

Here's a good primer on how to use a Multimeter: http://www.multimeterwarehouse.com/usingamultimeter.htm . Hope this helps...

Last edited by MNBoxster; 01-10-2007 at 08:50 AM.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:55 AM   #7

i bought one
Old 01-10-2007, 09:22 AM   #8

Quote:
i bought one
Hi,

Good for you - good luck. Check switch for continuity to rule it out, then each set of leads in the harness connector. The Fuse is B5 - 7.5 ATC. Hope this helps...

Old 01-10-2007, 09:56 AM   #9

well i got the cheaper of the two cost me 10 i hope it comes with those wires that u attach to the +/- the first one u gave me on ebay is what i bought
Old 01-10-2007, 10:09 AM   #10

Quote:
well i got the cheaper of the two cost me 10 i hope it comes with those wires that u attach to the +/- the first one u gave me on ebay is what i bought
Hi,

I'm sure it will be good enough for these types of needs...

Hasppy Motoring!... Jim'99
Old 01-27-2007, 08:58 AM   #11

Now out fo blue the side mirror now works... so maybe God felt bad for me...LOL