Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2004, 05:21 AM   #1

Garage
Door lock remote control synchronisation

I own a 1999 Boxster. For an unknown reason it is impossible to (un)lock the doors or the trunk with the remote control although it worked perfectly until some days ago.
The battery is OK and when I push one of the buttons then the red signal light in the key holder starts flashing but nothing happens.
My spare key works very well so I am pretty sure that the central door locking computer is OK .
I think the first key is not longer recognized by the central door locking computer.
Of course I replaced the remote control battery by a new one (3,2V) unfortunately without success.

1. Is there any possibility to 'synchronize' the key with the central door locking computer without using the special Porsche tooling (PST2) and how can it be done ?

Would appreciate your experiences / advice.

Alfred

privateselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 06:58 AM   #2

This happened to my 2002 about the same date. My remote control would actually work if I held the key near the center of the windshield.

Dealer replaced the key reciever unit under warrantee. Your problem may be different.
No key reprogramming was required.

Ad Sach
Ad Sach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 04:08 AM   #3
Forum Member

G'Day Alfred,

Did you find out an answer to your remote control in your key. I have just picked up a 97 Boxster. One key works perfectly the other doesn't. The red signal light also works but there is no response from the central locking or the boot, the spare key will manually unlock and start the car though. I have had the battery checked and cleaned so that is fine. The only thing I can think of is that this particular key hasn't been used for three years as it was a spare. Let me know if you resolved it.

Thanks

John
Aussie Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 07:33 AM   #4

Garage
Hello John,

My problem is not solved yet although I tried several things. I don't know if you have access to the TSB forum in the Renn Tech Org but there I found an interesting and updated TSB about this subject (http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?act=Downloads&do=downloadv&id=647)
This TSB tells you that the remote control may learn away from the central door locking / anti-theft computer just by changing the battery of the remote control !! It is described how you can try to learn it again to the computer.(I tried this latter option but it didn't work).

About my particular cas, in the meanwhile Porsche Belgium agreed (after a hard but polite discussion and after threatening with a court case, - can you imagine for such a problem !)- that they will pay for a replacement remote control since I have a Porsche second hand car warranty.
I still have to make an appointment now with the workshop which will be done in a few weeks. I will let you know the outcome (because I am not even sure that the remote control is really defective, it might have learned away from the anti-theft computer...)

Best Boxster regards,

Alfred

Last edited by privateselling; 10-03-2004 at 10:48 AM.
Old 07-24-2005, 10:42 AM   #5

Unhappy Key Remote Not functioning

Did, you ever resolve this problem with you key remote? As of last week I have the same problem. The remote on one key worked fine although from a close range. Then suddenly it did not work at all. I changed the battery and nothing. I looked at Rennsport suggestion and tryed it but it did not work.

Any suggestions?

JB
RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 10:59 AM   #6

Garage
Door lock remote control synchronisation

Hello JB,

I could not solve the problem myself. I needed to go to an official Porsche garage to have one remote control replaced.
In the beginning there was some reluctancy to have it done under warranty (since the car has a genuine Porsche extended second hand car warranty) but I insisted STRONGLY even threathening them with going to court (!), and then they agreed to arrange this under warranty.
In case your car is out of warranty I just can refer you to the Renntech website in which you will find a topic called 'Technical Service Bulletin'. On June25, 2004 a Service Bulletin was issued telling that the battery change could best be performed at the dealer since you risk that the remote control looses its 'memory' when the battery is flat or when the replacement takes too long time.
With this document in your hand I think you can show your Porsche dealer that the information on the Technical Service Bulletin is in contradiction with the instruction in your owner's manual. In my opinion you can urge them with this information to have the battery replaced free of (manhour) charge. Of course you will need to pay for the battery.

I hope this information may be of help to you. Please keep me informed.
Best Boxster regards,

Alfred
Old 07-26-2005, 08:26 PM   #7

Key Remote Not functioning

Thank you for your response I will go to the dealer and try your potential solution. As you guessed my car in out of warranty as I bought it from another party and did not get extended warranty.

JB
RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 09:56 PM   #8

Need to be wanted

Hello All,

Not exactly a big help but I seem to remember being informed that the spare set of keys need to be used periodically. If you are like me I suspect the spare keys are put in a drawer somewhere and forgoten. Apparently there are random codes being generated by the alarm system and the spare keys need to be in this loop at sometime (I try them every 3 months, if I remember) to continue being active.

Perhaps someone else has heard this 'Old Wives Tale' and can back it up but I am quite expecting to be told it's rubbish.

Cheers..........................Jon
Jon&986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 10:31 PM   #9

Garage
Talking Door lock remote control synchronisation

Hello Jon,

Your suggestion to use the different keys of the car on a regular basis is not that bad.
Theoretically the control units should always 'remember' the latest roll code but it is not too bad to have the keys used now and then, not only for the remote control function of the door locking mechanism but also for the transponder function which is served by a separate chip in the keyhead. Some/most of the drivers (at least I think so) put their 3rd small spare key (without remote control) somewhere on a 'secret' and hard to find place somewhere at the outside of the car in case they loose their original key when they are underway. If you need this key e.g. after 2 years then the transponder chip will do its work.

To come back to the original topic I however must admit that even after one year not being used the door lock remote control should be recognised by the control unit. However it quite often happens that the 'spare key' is not serviced in time and that the key battery goes flat and then the circle is round and we come to the comment I gave in my previous comment in this issue.

I am quite anxious to learn how JB's story will end...

Regards,

Alfred