Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2006, 08:11 PM   #1

remove soft top completly

How much weight does complete top assembly weigh(motor and all)? I want to use hard top primarly.
Also has anyone seen the taneau type cover for the boxster?

mn box s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 01:46 PM   #2

Don't know how much the soft top assy. actually weighs, but it isn't a whole lot.
Probably no more than the 55lbs of the hardtop.

Picture of the tonneau cover is here:
http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessoriesandservices/personalisation/tequipment/n39/n242/n293/

I have one, but have never installed it.
Having a hardtop but no soft top is one of the few (maybe the only) good reasons for using the tonneau.

Last edited by Ronzi; 12-15-2006 at 01:51 PM.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 07:38 AM   #3

does anyone know how it attaches? does it work? Thanks for your response
Old 12-16-2006, 07:39 AM   #4

How much did you pay for it? At the dealer?
Old 12-16-2006, 09:48 AM   #5

Attachment - a series of metal pegs must be installed in the top of the doors and on the top of the dashboard. The pegs are pushed into socket fittings on the edge of the tonneau. The installation of the pegs is a non-reversible procedure. If you remove the pegs, you are left with holes in the body and the dash.

Cost - Original list price from a dealer was an astronomical $1,295. It is a nice piece of canvas, however. Appears to be the same material as the top.

The tonneau was dropped as an option a couple of years ago. I bought mine off eBay.
If you are seriously interested in getting one, I could probably be pursuaded to part with mine. Send me a PM if you wish.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:31 PM   #6

Astronamical is the correct word. The thought of drilling through parts is also not my idea of a clean install. No wonder the dealer dropped it. I think if I do remove the top I just wont go any where if it is to rain. Hey 55lbs doesnt sound like much but to me that is alot. Alittle here a little there starts to add up. Just dont want to gut the whole car right now. (like I did my last) Thanks again for all of your info.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:48 AM   #7

Installation is little different than any other tonneau I have seen, the hardware is just a little better on the Porsche.
The big advantage was that it was faster to close up the car with the tonneau when you parked it, over erecting the top on the typical '60s British roadster, a 10-minute job if you were good at it. That advantage disappears with the power top on the Boxster.
Now, if you don't have a convt. top, you have a little bit of a security issue when you park your Box in topless mode. While nobody is going to claim that the tonneau will prevent even a mildly determined thief from getting in your car, it does perhaps prevent casual pilferage while you're getting your morning cuppa at Starbucks.
Plus, I guarantee you will have the ONLY Boxster with a tonneau at the local Porsche club car show.
I'll take my salesman hat off, now.