Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2006, 02:54 PM   #1

short snork

I just got a 2001 S.

I read all the desnork posts but years of racing and dyno time convinced me that just popping off the intake tube would result in more noise and less horsepower.

So I built a custom intake trumpet out of the stock noise reducing trumpet.

Basically, I took out the snork. Cut off all but the first 3 inches of it. Built up a rolled lip out of aluminum that replicates the proper curve of an air intake, sanded the inner lip of the stock box, vaccuumed all the plastic crud out from my sanding/smoothing. Reattached the new short snork { a pain unless you have doll-sized hands }. And fired her up.

The resulting air intake horn is about twice the size of the factory opening.

The result: all the sound of the desnork. And I would guess a few extra hp.

One more thing.

I drilled a small hole into the new short snork so that if the occasion were to arise that I need to remove it, I could just insert a looped bit of wire into the hole and pop the snork out. Instead of jamming my hands in there and wrestling it to the ground like a beast.

I recommend drilling the hole in the top of the short snork. That way if the wire scratches anything, it scratches a part of the car thats almost impossible to see.

Also sand down all rough edges you find anywhere. And a little sanding on the attachment points plus a light dusting with wd40 makes it slide in slightly easier.

Next up, better exhaust sound.

And maybe a GIAC chip.

And then I'll call it a day.

Actually then I'll get to work on that crappy stereo.

2001 BOX-S

jh

huzzah ! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 11:07 AM   #2
Rennzenn

Garage
Nice. I had been thinking of doing something similar to mine for a while. I ended up getting an EVO intake, so I guess the snorkle plan's finished. On the exhaust side, I've modified my stock muffler so that it functions similar to a Sebring muffler. I also "adjusted" the second set of cats. The sound is quite pleasant, and the motor runs a bit smoother. As for additional HP, I don't have dyno info, but the TC sure does come on a lot more now! PM me if you'd like more info on the exhaust mods.

j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote