Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2006, 04:43 AM   #1

Cold Weather Perfomance

It was 18 degrees this morning in Central Virginia when I went for a spirited drive in the country (top down of course). I continue to be impressed by how much quicker the car is in cold weather. It is quite noticable, compared to warmer temperatures. Is this just because the air is denser at low temps, and do other Boxster owners also notice the improved performance?

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 05:05 AM   #2

Yes...cold dry air is the best

I especially noticed the power increase in a supercharged car, since the aftercooler really had a nice drop in ablient temp. This is even noticable in Florida, and today the high is only 65!

Mike

2005 Box S
Esoril 540iT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 05:41 AM   #3
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by edevlin
It was 18 degrees this morning in Central Virginia when I went for a spirited drive in the country (top down of course). I continue to be impressed by how much quicker the car is in cold weather. It is quite noticable, compared to warmer temperatures. Is this just because the air is denser at low temps, and do other Boxster owners also notice the improved performance?

Ed

All cars will make more power with lower intake temperatures. So do people, by the way. You should also notice that your fuel mileage will drop as the car needs to keep the air/fuel ratio consistant and with more air comes more fuel.

Last edited by blue2000s; 12-11-2006 at 07:29 AM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 12:35 PM   #4

I dunno, when it got real cold up here, my Boxster ran like crap!

Peter Schwarzenbauer

My car @ Car Domain

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...nstalled01.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...nstalled02.jpg
Arctic Silver '05 Silver Boxster
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 07:28 AM   #5

I noticed an increase in power as well, but once it dropped below 50 degrees it really wasn't that much fun because the tires couldn't keep up.
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 09:14 AM   #6

"I noticed an increase in power as well, but once it dropped below 50 degrees it really wasn't that much fun because the tires couldn't keep up."

I hear that, my tires really do not like the cold weather,

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 02:01 PM   #7

uncle bob it looks like crap too. lol/jokes. covered under snowwww, dam snow! hate it!

986Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote