Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2006, 12:08 PM   #1

Rattle in drivers door

I have this very annoying rattle in my drivers door in my 2002 S.

If I pull on the door handle, it stopps, but once I release the handle it starts again.

Has anyone else had this, and is there a fix?

I am reluctant to take teh door apart due to the airbag.

Thanks in advance.

mikedivincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 05:31 PM   #2

No one has answered you yet and while I have not had your problem and tackled it, I do want to bump this to the top so someone can help you...

My best guess: Something has come loose in there and just needs to be tightened up.

Airbag fears: Disconnect your battery (negative terminal), wait for 15 minutes and then get the door panel off and it will not blow up in your face. I promise.

Rattles are demonic and must be eradicated. :troll:
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 05:47 PM   #3

I don't have a solution but I also have a 2002 S with a rattle in the drivers door. Is your rattle present when your top is up, down, or both? Mine is only present when my top is up and the window is up. If I drop the window a little it seems to disappear yet when up, the noise doesn't seem to come from where the window makes contact with the top? It also only happens when I hit bumps but when I do, it is very loud and annoying to the point of where I don't even like driving the car when I can't drop the top. Just thought I'd throw that info out there in case there are any similarities.
Jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 03:41 AM   #4

I had a similar rattle. It sounded like a small metal ball rolling around in there.

I ended up pulling the door panel off (pretty easy to do) and found part of a rivet in there. I couldn't find where it came from, so I just removed it and all has been silent.

Pull the panel and check it out.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 07:46 AM   #5

if it goes away when you touch the handle, you may be missing a screw. if you pull the handle and look behind it, there should be a screw present. if it's missing, that's your culprit.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 08:33 AM   #6

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Easy, Sorry i didnt reply sooner, The cable that links your interior latch runs along the surface of the sheet metal on the door... just behind the door panel.

If its never been removed, You will notice the cable runs beside another similar cable but it is secured to the door sheet metal by a round plastic clip but the door latch cable isnt. If you pull the clip out, you can fit the door latch cable in with the other similar cable together. Also while your panel is off, take the time to make sure all other things are tightened and secure like the speaker screws and other plastic peices like clips and what not. If you goto PM me and when i get home after 3pm, i will email you a PDF file of how to remove your panel... its really easy if you know where the screws are.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 11:50 AM   #7

It is very hard for me to tell if the rattle is there with the windows open or top down due to the increased noise.

Thanks all - I will check all your have recommended.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:29 AM   #8

rattle in door

I am a bit afraid to play with the door panel because of the airbag.

If I rull the battery cable - I am afraid it will screw up the radio and I dont think I have the radio code.

Can I pry open the bottom of the door panel WITHOUT worrying about the airbag?????
Old 03-27-2008, 08:27 PM   #9

Could be something loose inside the door and the only way to find out is to pull the panel and look.

The noise with the windows up and top up could also be friction on the weatherstripping. I didn't believe this until I tried this myself, but you do need to periodically lubricate the weatherstripping. The best thing I am aware of is Dupont Krytox GPL 205. Super expensive, but you'll be amazed how much quieter doors, windows, and the top seal get when you remove that little bit of friction.

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 08:38 PM   #10

There are numerous ways to get the Radio Code and you really should have it. The Dealer can pull it for you with the PST2 or the PIWIS testers.

Also, search the web, there is a company that will give it to you if you have the serial # (located on the back of the unit).

Finally, if you connect a memory saver (available online and many auto parts stores, you can plug this into the lighter socket and it will preserve the code while you pull the battery.

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote