Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2006, 07:23 AM   #1

can't go into reverse..

I can't go into reverse. The shifter will not go into reverse. It will go into all other gears (1-5). It is cold, so I waited for the engine to heat up to 175. Still nothing.

I called porsche roadside assistance and they are coming to tow it in 70min. If anyone can help me before then I would appreciate it. What could the problem be?

Also, I don't know if this is normal, but when idling, the tachometer needle twitches a little bit, and kind of goes up and down by maybe 50rpms, back and forth. Is this normal..?

I really love my car, even though it's brand new, and I want it to be okay and to be able to trust porsche again for my next car.

Bavarian Motorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 08:31 AM   #2

My uncle finally got it to work somehow. But I am still concerned. Can anyone tell me what the problem may be?

I'm worried and I don't want this to ever happen again.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:01 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian Motorist
My uncle finally got it to work somehow. But I am still concerned. Can anyone tell me what the problem may be?

I'm worried and I don't want this to ever happen again.
First you need to relax. You have 4 years of warranty behind you.

Mine is a 6speed so I don't know the gear scheme on your shifter (if it's a 5sp) but I need to, sort of, jam the shifter (push it harder) to the left before placing it into reverse. Most cars have some kind of a special gimmick (push it down, lift it up, etc.) that prevents from choosing R by accident. Your car is still brand new and things need to work themselves out, so that combined with the cold weather may be making it a bit harder to switch into reverse. However, if you definitely cannot switch into R, then by all means take it to the dealer and let them look into it.

Z.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:26 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
@ Bavarian,

This may be a stupid questions but since it's brand new,have you tried to put in reverse before? Reverse on a base Boxster if nuetral- far right-down. If this occurs again I would take it back to the dealership and tell them to fix it,MISSING A GEAR IS UNACCEPTABLE!

As for the idling murmur you mentioned,get used to it,it's just something these cars do.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:56 AM   #5

I just feel like this could be a huge long drawn out series of stressful events leading to me getting a new transmission or something. But it's fine now...The scheme on a 5 speed is just the reverse is where the 6th gear would be in a 6 speed.

And yes I've done reverse before, plenty of times.

I couldn't get the 911 turbo in the show room to get into reverse either lol...just by playing with the shifter. It was a 996.

Thanks guys. The manual says the shifting will become better as the car breaksin.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:31 PM   #6

Hi,

The '99 Owners Manual cautions;" Before shifting into Reverse, the clutch pedal must be depressed for several seconds; only then move the gearshift lever to the right, overcoming the spring tension and then to the rear. Both Backup lights come on when the transmission is put into Reverse (with Ignition on)."

Now there are very few transmissions which require this and it's not an easy habit to acquire. I do not know if the newer cars state this procedure or require it. Perhaps not doing this is related to the problems you're having...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 01:59 AM   #7

Thanks...I'm not sure if I tried that. I think what I did was just hold the clutch down, try to go into reverse, then play around with the shifter and try again.

Well, anyways it's fine right now.
Old 12-04-2006, 04:56 AM   #8

News...

It did it again this morning.

I pushed the car out of my driveway with all my might and I put it into 1st, drove around the block, and then found that it CAN go into reverse AFTER being driven.

So...I still don't know what the issue is.

I'm gonna take it to the dealer in a few. They can't give me a loaner car on short notice.

Just out of curiosity, anyone know what loaner cars porsche generally gives??
Old 12-04-2006, 07:19 AM   #9

I've gotten into the habit of selecting a forward gear first and then reverse.... it greatly reduces the chance of gear clash and helps with engaging reverse.
wvicary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 09:53 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvicary
I've gotten into the habit of selecting a forward gear first and then reverse.... it greatly reduces the chance of gear clash and helps with engaging reverse.
Yes, actually, you're right. It works when I go into first.

Like I said, I pushed it out of the driveway with all my strength, drove around block, and then it worked.

Unfortunately, I couldn't go into gear cause there's my uncle's car right in front of mine. So I was screwed.

I don't know if this is common or ... if this is not supposed to happen.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:54 AM   #11

Ok, they said the shifter cable needs to be adjusted and they did it. That sound right to anyone?
Old 12-04-2006, 11:48 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian Motorist
Ok, they said the shifter cable needs to be adjusted and they did it. That sound right to anyone?

Hi,

Yes, makes perfect sense. These rarely require adjustment, and there's little adjustment available, but in your case, seems it was required. Glad you got the fix...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 12-04-2006 at 02:19 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 01:20 PM   #13

Thanks Jim and everyone else who helped
Old 12-05-2006, 06:58 AM   #14

Ok...it happened AGAIN this morning. What the hell.

I'm gonna make them keep it over night this time.

Is it bad to give the shifter a big tug, or do you not wanna risk breaking it?
Old 12-05-2006, 07:05 AM   #15

Smile

What I meant by selecting a forward gear first is that you don't actually have to release the clutch and move the car forward, just keep the clutch pedal fully pressed down, put the shifter into something like 3rd gear then select reverse without releasing the clutch pedal.... give this a try as it's worked great for myself over the years.
wvicary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 10:02 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvicary
What I meant by selecting a forward gear first is that you don't actually have to release the clutch and move the car forward, just keep the clutch pedal fully pressed down, put the shifter into something like 3rd gear then select reverse without releasing the clutch pedal.... give this a try as it's worked great for myself over the years.
Appreciate the help. I've tried this many times, though, and to no avail. Only thing that works is actually engaging forward gears.

That and I need to try giving the shifter a nice shove and see if that works.

Anyways, gonna go out and try her now
Old 12-06-2006, 11:01 PM   #17

That is weird. I've never heard of any problems finding reverse in a 987.

Adam is offline   Reply With Quote