Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2006, 07:08 PM   #1

Cold Water and Warping Rotors

I was in a hurry to wash the car today before picking someone up, and I completely forgot about the danger of cold washing warm rotors. Admittedly the rotors weren't that hot, just a typical 2 mile commute, but when I spray on the water they were steaming away and moron that I was I didn't even give it a second thought.

A minute later the danger suddenly hit me, and I started wondering if I might have warped em right there. Anyone have any input, maybe you've cold-washed them hot and seen them warp/damage or not? The drive felt fine, but I'm kind of curious is it's a slow process? Or if such an act or two is likely to make them crack eventually?

-David

http://www.darkoven.com/sig.jpg
David N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 07:40 PM   #2

I would think if there was a problem you'd notice it straight away...... I wouldn't worry about it, just go a drive the clappers off it and enjoy.
wvicary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 10:36 PM   #3

Hi,

Sorry, but that just isn't a worry, unless you drove the entire way with the parking brake on or riding the brakes. A rotor is designed (in both it's casting and the material used) to shed heat. That's it's purpose, to transfer the mechanical and inertial energy of the car to heat energy and expell it from the system to atmosphere.

By the time you pulled in, shut the car off, insert your quarters and finally sprayed some water on the rotors, they would have cooled sufficiently that no warping could take place. Besides, these aren't can lids, they are composed of high carbon content steel and you'd have to go from 850° to -40° near instantaneously to cause any warping. You're obsessing, it's all good...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 05:10 AM   #4

Exclamation

IF cold water was a problem on warm rotors,everyone would have bad rotors in the rain and puddles
CHE'S CAT BACK
EIBACH LOWERING SPRINGS
clear lens
DAAM421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 01:44 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
like Jim said, ud have to have them so hot and then get them too cold in order to warp them, so youre good. ive done the same thing too many times, but i usually still give it a few minutes to wash the wheels.

exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote