Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2023, 11:45 AM   #1

brake pad cross-reference

any cross-reference for 986S brake pads?

back story - i also race a 1968 triumph gt6. if you search pads for a triumph gt6 all you can find are crappy oem pads and crappy ebc pads. however the gt6 uses girling 4-pot calipers that were used on a lot of other cars of the era and if you search you can find lots of say cortina or lotus performance pads that work on the gt6.

so, given the 986 uses standard brembos, are there other cars that run the same calipers with pads that don't include the porsche tax? i'd love to find a set of pagid yellows for say a jetta that didn't cost $700/axle ...

The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 06:07 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
any cross-reference for 986S brake pads?

back story - i also race a 1968 triumph gt6. if you search pads for a triumph gt6 all you can find are crappy oem pads and crappy ebc pads. however the gt6 uses girling 4-pot calipers that were used on a lot of other cars of the era and if you search you can find lots of say cortina or lotus performance pads that work on the gt6.

so, given the 986 uses standard brembos, are there other cars that run the same calipers with pads that don't include the porsche tax? i'd love to find a set of pagid yellows for say a jetta that didn't cost $700/axle ...
Radium, I have a used set of Pagid Yellows that I used for one season with the POC on my 987 CS, I believe that the caliper sizes are different between the S and the Base Models.

They are a bit discolored but can measure them (for wear) if you are interested, as I cannot use them on the 981CS as the rear calipers are different size as the ones on the 987CS.
I can take a picture of the original Pagid boxes so you can check if these P/N's will fit your 986S, thanks!
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 06:55 PM   #3
On the slippery slope

Garage
Lots of non factory pads available

The calipers are Porsche specific as far as I know

For street I use Powerstop ceramics. Usually around $40/axle

Also 986S has the same brakes as a 996 non S. I don't know about the 996 S
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 06:26 AM   #4

thanks guys. i'm aware of the crossover within the porsche family - between the 911 and boxster/cayman cars. also aftermarket vs oem pads. i was looking for non-porsche oem alternatives for the capilers in the hopes of finding less expensive performance pad alternatives. driven mostly by a previous thread on this forum where the poster said that we was seeing a lot of interchange with audi, mercedes, vw on the rear calipers. that may have just been the pistons and seals and not the entire assembly however.

The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote