Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2023, 11:36 AM   #1

PIWIS II How do I program key, immo, and DME?

TL, DR: Have a 986 with no key. I have the cars iPas data. Looking for help on how to use PIWIS II to reprogram key/lock cylinder with immobilizer and DME.

Before we get started I am aware of the ECU Dr's service and I know I can order a key from porsche. Because it will be a dedicated track car, I am trying to avoid purchasing a key, if possible. Also looking at an immobilizer emulator.

I am working on a 1997 Boxster bought from an auction. The boxster did not come with the key. However, I do have a key and lock cylinder that were "paired" together from a separate 986. I am not sure if that can be used/paired with the immo or not.

On to the PIWIS... I purchased and setup a PIWIS II with the hardware. With the software, I can "talk" to the car, read/clear trouble codes, activate circuits like the fuel pump or secondary air injections system, etc. I have read over the PIWIS II user manual and several forum posts on PIWIS II, but I cannot find any information on the process of pairing the ignition lock/immobilizer/DME with the PIWIS II.

I have found a few posts where people have offered to help by private message. So that has lead me to make a post seeking information. I am new to Porsche and its diagnostic tools, but I have been doing similar things with BMW INPA/ITSA and rom flashing tools.

Thanks!
John

jbontke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 06:53 AM   #2

You need the code that came with the key. Had mine at the dealer as my key stopped lock/unlock remotely. Had to buy a new key to get the code for it.
azlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 09:52 AM   #3
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Not sure that you can do what you want, the way you want to, but here's what I can offer:

Look here at the 'Group 8' .pdf (or find another source for the Factory workshop manual). Towards the end at section 96-30 (***Edit: I just noticed that the PDF version is indexed differently from my hard copy see 96-23 and 96-24***) it has instructions and description of programming with a PST-2.

Group 2, section 24-26 has instructions for programming the DME module (loading a different map).

I typically just replace the whole set (transponder from the fob, DME, and central locking module) with another compatible set.

Last edited by 78F350; 06-14-2023 at 01:39 PM.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 07:34 AM   #4

Pst2 and piwis are totally different systems and the directions in the fsm do not flow to piwis.

I wrote up an article about flashing 996 maps using piwis 2. Start there.

The comment about key codes are correct. Each fob comes with a code straight from the factory that isn't recorded anywhere except on the tag that the fob comes with. Without that code, it's a paperweight.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Tags
immobilizer , piwis ii