Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2006, 11:02 AM   #1

Tire Problem

Does anyone else have the same problem as I and anyone have any suggestions? I have a 2000 Boxter S with tires that are around 4 years old, Continental's. I dont use the vehicle often maybe twice a month on Sundays. The cr for the first 20 minutes runblmes and the steaeering wheel vibrates. It gets better after the car warms up but is fustrating. I am looking into replacing the tires with Mich Pilot Sports.

Any one have suggestions or similar problems?

Thanks you.

Softail_Rider_NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 11:18 AM   #2

Sounds like flat spots on the tires from sitting for so long. They will correct them selfs after they warm up. The PS2's will do the same thing if you don't drive the car. However, I'm sure you will be much happier with the performance of the PS2's.
EVOMS Intake
Glass rear window
velvet_jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 01:17 PM   #3

Symilar thing is happening to me. I had pretty worn PS2s and my steering was shakey a bit. I bought new kumohs and had the weels balanced twice by two different shops before it went away. seems to be pretty good now
camike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 02:23 PM   #4

Thank you, the dealer also suggested two ideas to also help. One was to purchase a rubber matt for the garage and the other was to over pressurize the tires to 50 psi.

I appreciate the response, I am going to order the PS2 tires.
Old 11-23-2006, 05:50 PM   #5

The PS2's will offer better performance but they will still flat spot just like the orignal tires.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 05:33 AM   #6

What part of Jersey are you in... I am in Marlton.

It is annoying that even after not driving the car for a day or two, the tires do flatspot. I find that it normally goes away after about 10 miles or so. Some times I do the "Formula one wiggle" turning side to side for a few hundred feet to wake up the tires. Just dont let the other drivers on the road see you.

Best of luck!
AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 05:45 AM   #7

Flatspotting intensity and likelihood is proportional to the temp differential between the tire and the surface when the car gets parked. So when very hot tires are parked over a very cold surface (cement) flatspotting occurs as the tire cools off -- temporary flatspotting, of course. Perhaps, not taking too many hot turns, accelerations, and breaking right before parking it could help. Rubber mats also help to insulate from the cold floor. Every tire is susceptible to this, but more so are softer compounds (high perf, sport tires).

Z.
Old 11-24-2006, 06:00 AM   #8
bmussatti

I have never experienced any flat spotting this past driving season. I have the PS2's with 19" Carrera Classic wheels and my car has sat for periods as long as 2 weeks between drives. Lucky me!

I have it parked now on very dense rubber pads for winter storage. Bought 4 rubber tiles at Menards for $52 and cut in half. I plan to move the car, by hand, at the beginning of each month about 12 inches to another spot on the tile and tire, and then move back the next month, and keep repeating until March. So, hoefully I won't have any flat spotting during the 5 month storage period. Or maybe I'll have 2 flat spots per tire!

I am also running nitrogen fill, with the over-fill to 58-59 PSI for the storage period.
Old 11-24-2006, 10:47 AM   #9

Appreciate your responses, Was investigating the nitrogen fill as well. I bought a compressor this weekend and going to try to over presurize them, Its easy to reome the pressure to spec's. I am from So Brunswick, and yes the garage floor is cold............. Regardless is the car sits for two or so days it does flat spot and goes away after a few miles. I get rumble from the tires, they are 4 years old and going to replace them regarless due to age.