Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2023, 12:01 PM   #1

Slow fueling/splash back

For those of you that have tried everything you’ve read about on how to resolve the mysterious slow fueling/splash back issue, read this post. I’ve been chasing this issue for years and although there is plenty of great advice out there on this, (relays, valves, fuses, filler neck vent, gas cap, carbon canister, etc.) none of it worked for me. I had gotten used to taking my sweet time fueling the car and assumed this would be the normal operation forever. Over the past few weeks my fuel gauge became erratic and unreliable, so I decided to replace the sending unit, fuel pump and filter as a kit since all these components are twenty-two years old on my car. During the replacement process we discovered the filler neck extension laying loose at the bottom of the fuel tank. This is a rather large piece and I suspect it may have been the reason for the erratic gauge as it may have been interfering with its mechanical operation. We reattached the extension and secured it with tie wraps to ensure it would stay put. The first trip to the gas station was a full flow fill to the top for the first time in four years.
2001 Boxster S

Attached Images

930turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 04:06 AM   #2
Registered Member

To quote Roseanne Roseannadanna “it just goes to show you, if it isn’t one thing, it’s another…”

Great outcome!