Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2006, 12:25 PM   #1

New Fabspeed Boxster Muffler

Ok guys, I mentioned it in another post, but it finally showed up on my doorstep. Fabspeed's new muffler for all 986 Boxsters. As most of you know, the old fabspeed muffler was actually a Dansk muffler which was resold by Fabspeed. The new muffler is based off their 987 and cayman design, and is 100% fabspeed. The other mufflers on the market are using 1.5" inlets into the muffler, the new system is a 2" system, and comes with the sport cats, which before were sold separately. The system is 50 state emission compliant, and will not affect any warranties.

I will be installing the system on a 2000 Boxster S hopefully this week or early next week. I will do a walk through with pictures on the install, some sound clips, etc. Once everything is a go, and I know the system is everything they say it is going to be, then I will throw it in with our holiday sale at a discounted price. Otherwise we will pitch it into the abyss. Normal retail is $1495. Unfortunately I will not be able to test this one on the dyno from stock, as the customer currently has a Dansk muffler on the car.

Old 11-14-2006, 12:29 PM   #2
blkboxster

yeah i always wanted to get those but there alot of money,i can wait to hear the sound clips and see how they look on.GOOD CHOICE.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:50 PM   #3

Hi, just checked out the video clip @ Fabspeed.com. Below's the link:

www.fabspeed.com/videos/Boxster%20986%20Maxflo%20Exhaust%20&%20Headers.wmv

I'd love to know about how it sounds with the top up @ low RPM, under 2700RPM?

Keep us posted.

From your pix and the website it looks like a very good system.

Good luck
bob
BoxsterSbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 01:12 PM   #4
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
I'm running with a Dansk right now, but that looks very cool. Please let us know if there's any resonance issues, and show us how it looks on the car after installation. I know with the 987 version, there were comments about the lower part of the muffler exposed too much after installation.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 05:04 PM   #5

For those of us who live in Kalifornia, where do I find the CARB approval for the sport cats which are now part of the system?

In my County, during our smog inspection for the older cars, there is a visual inspection, before you you on the dyno. The smog guy is supposed to look under the car.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 07:03 PM   #6

Darn, the video doesn't include a full rev-out while parked. That's the money sound
http://www.darkoven.com/sig.jpg
David N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 06:28 PM   #7

Ok guys, I stayed late and put the exhaust on tonight. It sounds great! Installation was by far the easiest boxster exhaust I have done. It is a small can (narrow and long), versus the typical wide and bulky dansk, cargraphic, etc units. I had the cats and dansk muffler out in 15 minutes, and the rest of the muffler took me about an hour to put in. I would say for a first timer, this is about a 2.5-3 hour job, but very easy. I forgot the camera sitting on my lift though, so I will get the installation writeup up tomorrow with pictures.
Old 11-22-2006, 05:23 AM   #8

A little teaser picture.........We are making a video on this one Gawd it sounds incredible. Far better than anything I have put on a boxster.

Old 11-22-2006, 05:23 AM   #9

Please let us know whether or not you have a resonance. I'm actively looking for an exhaust for my Boxster, but I can't tolerate any resonance.

I had a GHL on my '99 Boxster for less than a day before I got sick of it.
Rodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 07:46 AM   #10
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Whew...well, it better sound VERY good to overcome that kind of unsightly view from the rear. Looks like the muffler can and metal straps holding it are in plain view, not just the exhaust tips.

Old 11-22-2006, 08:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy
Whew...well, it better sound VERY good to overcome that kind of unsightly view from the rear. Looks like the muffler can and metal straps holding it are in plain view, not just the exhaust tips.

Well...one would expect that, since the shot was taken from underneath the car.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:19 AM   #12
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
Well...one would expect that, since the shot was taken from underneath the car.
Do you have a shot from the rear with the car down?

Old 11-23-2006, 04:58 PM   #13

New Fabspeed

Does the muffler comes with a sport cats? So did you also buy the headers from Fabspeed to match it? Any check engine lights?

I noticed that Fabspeed also has the header with sports cat which sells for $2200, which system offers better performance?
B&M short shifter
IPD Cayman-S Plenum
80mm Throttle Body
FVD Sport Muffler
Fabspeed catbypass
EVO Intake
PSS9
Light flywheel and Sach stage II clutch
Front/Rear Strut Brace
Undetectable K40/3
Rear Defuser
Rear spoiler
kias@tampabay.rr.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 01:49 PM   #14

Any progress on the video or reports from the field on the system. I am interested in the new fabspeed system if it does not have that 2-3K resonance that I have heard on every other aftermarket muffler I have tried, thanks,

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 07:06 AM   #15

hi everybody, my name's Filo and I'm writing from Italy.
first of all I wanna thank you all for this fabolous forum!
Here's the point: I'm going to buy my exhaust system, the Fabspeed exhaust, but the biggest question is: from an overview from the rear, is it so "visible the the muffler? I would put on my car a muffler that doesn't too much "visible" when you look from therear of the car.

Is it possible to have a better picture of the rear of the car with Fabspeed on?

thank you!
piazzasignoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 07:18 AM   #16
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by piazzasignoria
hi everybody, my name's Filo and I'm writing from Italy.
first of all I wanna thank you all for this fabolous forum!
Here's the point: I'm going to buy my exhaust system, the Fabspeed exhaust, but the biggest question is: from an overview from the rear, is it so "visible the the muffler? I would put on my car a muffler that doesn't too much "visible" when you look from therear of the car.

Is it possible to have a better picture of the rear of the car with Fabspeed on?

thank you!

Hello, Filo, and welcome!

I agree with you. I'd like to get a Fabspeed, or other performance exhaust system including sport cats., but most of the systems/installs I have seen show way too much of the muffler hanging down from the rear bumper. I do NOT want that look on my car. I like a very clean look.

I did talk to Fabspeed, just last week, and they are aware of this issue for the 987 Boxster owners. They are working on this concern, so I can assume others with our view have been calling into Fabspeed. He told me to check back-in in a few months, and they may have some more new products for the 987.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:43 AM   #17

thank you for your reply bmussatti, your post is for me really really useful!
I'd like to point out this: I do not have a 987 Boxster but I have a 986....do you think it happens the same thing on my 986?

porschedoc, please, do you have a picture of an overview of the rear of the car with fabspeed on? thank you!
Old 12-08-2006, 04:06 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by piazzasignoria
thank you for your reply bmussatti, your post is for me really really useful!
I'd like to point out this: I do not have a 987 Boxster but I have a 986....do you think it happens the same thing on my 986?

porschedoc, please, do you have a picture of an overview of the rear of the car with fabspeed on? thank

Ciao piazzasignoria, Viva L'Italia non posso rispondere a la tua richiesta ma spero que questi photo ti portano un po di felicita.
Scusi per il mio italiano.
Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 01:22 AM   #19

thank you for your post franco, but I can't see the images you attached, can you please re-post them ora send them to me via mail to the following email address: piazzasignoria at libero dot it
Old 12-11-2006, 01:24 AM   #20

....ah....your italian is pretty good! the point is that my english...suck!