Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2006, 02:24 PM   #1

Question Air Filters and Front Break Dust?

Does anyone have any sense of how much dust from the front break pads ends up on the air filter elements? I am very impressed by how quickly my BMC air filter element gets covered with a fine black material. It seems like the same sort of material that I wipe off of the car body behind the front and rear wheels. I dont know what else in my normal driving patterns that could come up with blackish deposits on the filter element within a few hundred miles of driving. Any ideas?

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 09:42 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by edevlin
Does anyone have any sense of how much dust from the front break pads ends up on the air filter elements? I am very impressed by how quickly my BMC air filter element gets covered with a fine black material. It seems like the same sort of material that I wipe off of the car body behind the front and rear wheels. I dont know what else in my normal driving patterns that could come up with blackish deposits on the filter element within a few hundred miles of driving. Any ideas?

Ed
Hi,

I suspect that a fair amount gets sucked in. And, that's another reason why using a gauze type air filter warrants an adjusted (shortened) Oil Change interval. The air filter isn't trapping it all...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 11:36 AM   #3

"I suspect that a fair amount gets sucked in. And, that's another reason why using a gauze type air filter warrants an adjusted (shortened) Oil Change interval. The air filter isn't trapping it all..."

Here, here on the shortened oil change interval. Changing the oil on my Boxster is one of my favorite weekend activities. Much more fun than say...... changing mufflers.....

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
Old 11-12-2006, 12:25 PM   #4

Ed, I think Jim was referring to changing the oil on the filter, not the car. Right Jim?
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 12:31 PM   #5

I would think Jim is talking about changing engine oil. If the cone-type BMC filter element that comes with my TTP aftermarket intake lets in more particulates along with more air (I dont know if it does or not, but will treat the car like it is), that has the potential to foul the engine oil sooner, hence the shortened oil change interval.

Ed

Old 11-18-2006, 11:57 PM   #6
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by edevlin

Ed
Break dust, bits-o-tire, sand, salt, asphalt, general road grime... it all gets in there because our air intake is low and aft. When running hard road temps, tires and brakes also throw off a lot of heat so we don't really get cold air intake either. The ultimate performance solution would be to mount an F-1 style ram air intake scoop high on the trunk lid. Cops might get the wrong idea about your intentions though.

In the practical world a good air filter element is your friend. Yes the old fashioned paper ones filter finer particles and are a little more restrictive (better engine protection for daily driving) than an oiled element (better racing performance on the track).

Last edited by Topless; 11-19-2006 at 12:27 PM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 05:46 PM   #7

I have a BMC aftermarket filter too...just cleaned it for the first time the other day after I intalled it 2.5 yrs and 13k miles ago. There was no large debris just very fine fine black dust which is probably a combination of many things including brake dust. Edevlin, I think you are over-servicing your filter and are due for a CEL and foulded MAS anyday now. But to each his own. Jus my .002
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 07:24 AM   #8

"I have a BMC aftermarket filter too...just cleaned it for the first time the other day after I intalled it 2.5 yrs and 13k miles ago. There was no large debris just very fine fine black dust which is probably a combination of many things including brake dust. Edevlin, I think you are over-servicing your filter and are due for a CEL and foulded MAS anyday now. But to each his own. Jus my .002"

Hi Adam, I have wondered about how much to clean the BMC filter. I have only cleaned it 3X in 11K. But I have gone in to look at it after just a few hundred miles after cleaning it. After as few as 300 miles, it is already mostly black on the surface, that is what I found interesting, the speed at which it gets coated. BTW, I have been monitoring my MAF and it looks fine (when viewed under an Olympus research stereoscope). I have also cleaned the MAF and did not notice anything comming off.

Ed