Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2006, 09:23 AM   #1

Radio removal

how do you get the becker radio out of a 99 boxster? it is the radio with the detachable face..

runninma1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 09:32 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Travis
They make a special tool for it, you insert into each side opening and pull the radio out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSCHE-Genuine-VW-MERCEDES-AUDI-RADIO-CD-REMOVAL-TOOL_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ38655QQihZ016QQite mZ260050325548QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 09:32 AM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Do a search on this board or go to pca.org. They've got a huge Q&A section.

But to answer your question since I just removed my stereo last week to put an iPod cable on the back, if it is a Becker just go to www.beckerautosound.com and find their phone number. Give them a call and ask them to send you the stereo removal keys. Once you get them pop the keys in the slots at the bottom corners of your radio and pull it out.

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 01:11 PM   #4

You may have to pull fairly hard to get it to start moving. It can be kind of hard on your fingers. After you insert the keys in the slots, I have found it easier to use a screwdriver or some other small bar in the hoop of the key. Make sure you grasp the screwdriver or bar between your index and middle fingers with key in the middle. Pull with even force and it should come out.
ROW M030 Suspension
Front & Rear Strut Braces
B&M Short Shift & EVO Billet Linkage
steve00s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 02:26 AM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve00s
You may have to pull fairly hard to get it to start moving. It can be kind of hard on your fingers. After you insert the keys in the slots, I have found it easier to use a screwdriver or some other small bar in the hoop of the key. Make sure you grasp the screwdriver or bar between your index and middle fingers with key in the middle. Pull with even force and it should come out.

+1 on this one. I thought I put the keys in wrong because I couldn't get the radio to budge. It was in there tight! I got a couple of pliers and slowly pulled on the keys. The screwdriver idea is much better. I wish I would have thought of that.

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote