Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2021, 08:56 AM   #1

Retaining stock height with Ohlins

Hi folks,

I've read the threads and I keep seeing that you lose minimum 1" of height with Ohlins R&T. Is there anyway around this? Modified perches or spacers of some sort?

Would love to do a proper coilover, but the car sees too much gravel and dirt duty to lose the height -- especially with the lowered oil pan.

Any ideas?

beater986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 10:37 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by beater986 View Post
Hi folks,

I've read the threads and I keep seeing that you lose minimum 1" of height with Ohlins R&T. Is there anyway around this? Modified perches or spacers of some sort?

Would love to do a proper coilover, but the car sees too much gravel and dirt duty to lose the height -- especially with the lowered oil pan.

Any ideas?
On my old 987 I used the thicker OEM spacers available (on top of the spring), but for the 981 there are only one size available, so I used two of them.. and so far have not got any issues.
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 03:46 PM   #3

Taller springs might work, but how much stroke does the damper have?. Contact Ohlins for a definitive answer.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
JDMsurprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 04:23 PM   #4
Pathological Tinkerer

I just installed them on my car and setting initial ride height according to the Ohlins instructions leaves about 3/4 inch of additional thread on the shock bodies that you could use to lift the car more to minimize the drop.

On the inner rear assembly in this picture you can see the color gradient change at the lower end of the threaded section. This is the amount you could potentially lift the car more. Using this all up however will limit your corner balance adjustability.

These are amazing by the way.

Last edited by P_Carfahrer; 08-04-2021 at 04:30 PM.
P_Carfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 06:13 PM   #5

Garage
I just installed the R&T on my 2004 SE.
Yes the car is lower (which I prefer) but I find that the way the Ohlins work they seam to compensates for the lower ride height. after 900k I have not bottomed out once.
In my opinion the Ohlins transform these already fantastic cars.
I would do it again in a heart beat.
Just my 2 cents.
My Beast 2004 Boxster SE #0174
- 3.8 with all the internal goodies, Under-mount Pulley, IPD Plenum, 996 Intake, Softronic Tune, 987 Factory Sport Exhaust, skid plates, IMS solution, Ohlins R&T, RSS Toe Links, Camber Plates, Michelin Pilot Super Sport on all 4 corners, Alpine Double Din c/w new speakers & amps.
Muskoka Minute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 09:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskoka Minute View Post
I just installed the R&T on my 2004 SE.
Yes the car is lower (which I prefer) but I find that the way the Ohlins work they seam to compensates for the lower ride height. after 900k I have not bottomed out once.
In my opinion the Ohlins transform these already fantastic cars.
I would do it again in a heart beat.
Just my 2 cents.
I bottom out at stock height with the deep sump on any sort of non-tarmac situation. I found a company that can add the missing 20mm and concur that the Ohlins are probably worthwhile either way.
Old 09-09-2021, 09:02 AM   #7

How do the Ohlins do in daily-driving scenarios?
Old 09-09-2021, 11:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by beater986 View Post
How do the Ohlins do in daily-driving scenarios?
Beater, IMHO a coilover set will ride way better than the OEM (stock) suspension, specially if you can adjust the compression and rebound ratios that will suit for the condition of the local roads you drive..
Old 09-16-2021, 06:33 PM   #9

I would imagine you could set these up and them to work. To me rebound damping adjustment is what I am really envious of. Way back when I put Bilstien PSS9s on and while they are great you can in certain cases get "lurch" on rebound after a heavy compression. There is no way to increase rebound damping to counter act this. You are stuck with an increase or decrease in both of them at once
Old 09-17-2021, 10:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
There is no way to increase rebound damping to counter act this. You are stuck with an increase or decrease in both of them at once
Jaykay, several of the lower to mid end coilovers have separate adjustments for compression and rebound.

However, these are supposed to work within certain travel range, for this reason (KW-V3's for example, according to their installation instructions), they have a Minimum height, where the car cannot be set higher in order to protect the internal components, for this reason I added an extra spacer to the top of the spring, to raise the front end of the car without exceeding the maximum height (to minimize scrapping the front...)
Old 09-19-2021, 05:35 PM   #11

Won't decreasing preload accomplish this?

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk