Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2006, 12:18 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Is there more to changing the sway bars?

After deciding that I will install the RoW sway bars I did some research. Are the sway bars as easy to change as everything makes them out to be? Is it really this simple;raise the car,loosen the bushing brackets,release the drop link nut(both sides) and remove the old sway bar? Is install the reverse of removal?

Old 11-07-2006, 07:27 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
After deciding that I will install the RoW sway bars I did some research. Are the sway bars as easy to change as everything makes them out to be? Is it really this simple;raise the car,loosen the bushing brackets,release the drop link nut(both sides) and remove the old sway bar? Is install the reverse of removal?

Hi,

It is pretty straightforward, but one point, the bolt on the front Sway Bar link is also holds the wheel bearing carrier to the strut. You need to insert a punch or drift to replace the bolt when you remove it to prevent having the carrier slide off the strut.

The Rear is just Plug & Play, nothing mysterious here. But, on many cars, the Sway Bar is pre-loaded when the car is on the ground. When you raise the car, you unload it (the struts can move slightly inward) and so it sometimes is difficult to line all the holes up properly, especially on the final connection side. You may need a jack to carefully raise one wheel to get everything lined up again prior to bolting it all together. I don't know if this is true for the Boxster, but be prepared. Good Luck!...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 02:01 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
It is pretty straightforward, but one point, the bolt on the front Sway Bar link is also holds the wheel bearing carrier to the strut. You need to insert a punch or drift to replace the bolt when you remove it to prevent having the carrier slide off the strut.
What are these "punchs & drifts" you speak of?
Old 11-07-2006, 06:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
What are these "punchs & drifts" you speak of?
Hi,

A Metal Punch or drift which will occupy the void left when you pull the Bolt out. Do you have a Metal Punch or even another Bolt? anything which occupies the space of the bolt. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote