Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2006, 11:17 AM   #1

Convertible Top Woes

Getting really bashed here.

I bought my 98 with a virtually new top on it this summer. I noticed a defect on the closed position where the top doesn't fit behind the plastic shield that is around the window. The guy that installed it for the original owner promised to replace the top for me for free. I know...nothing is free!

Long story short.
The guy has found problem after problem to caused me to spend $$$. I have bought a new rod with the plastic socket, a new ball for the frame and the rubbers. Now the guy tells me that he has found that the threads for the ball are stripped out of the frame. He wants to remove the frame and weld and re-tap the hole. I think a double threaded insert would be better than welding.

Any suggestions. I've already caught the guy overcharging me for the parts i needed now he wants to really get in there!!!! Doubt I can trust him

Troubled in Windsor.

Old 11-02-2006, 11:25 AM   #2

If the guy is truly being shady, I suggest you get the new top from him and pay someone else to install it. It may cost some money, but sounds like it might be worth peace of mind.

If you don't want to fork over the dough to someone else, it sounds like you either continue with this guy or do it yourself. I have read a number of posts where people have installed new tops themselves with success.
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 09:51 AM   #3

Another trip up

I averted disaster with this guy by going to see for myself. The ball stud is never intended to be threaded into the conv. top arm. It gets a nut on the other side. My problem is now that the M8 stud is too short to get through the aluminium arm and into the nut.

I've contacted Porsche and everything they have has a 10 mm stud. The other side has a stud length that is approx. 13 mm.

I cannot find a shelf item stus any where in Windsor. Does anyone have a suggestion?
Old 11-03-2006, 10:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawfordt
I averted disaster with this guy by going to see for myself. The ball stud is never intended to be threaded into the conv. top arm. It gets a nut on the other side. My problem is now that the M8 stud is too short to get through the aluminium arm and into the nut.

I've contacted Porsche and everything they have has a 10 mm stud. The other side has a stud length that is approx. 13 mm.

I cannot find a shelf item stus any where in Windsor. Does anyone have a suggestion?
Hi,

I'm not exactly sure of the layout, but could you possibly get a piece of All-Thread (threaded Rod stock), cut it to length, and put a nut and lockwasher on the backside? Seems to me this might work, if I'm visualizing it correctly. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 12:30 PM   #5

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
I know 100% that the ball pin isnt threaded into the convertible top, it requires a nut to hold it on the convert frame, When my rod broke, i noticed that the ball pin also fell out, I bought a new ball pin and found the nut laying next to the frame.

I installed the ball pin and the new rod and replaced the rubber bushings for both rods.

If anyone is interested, I found the original Ball Pin that fell off my convertible top, Pay shipping and its yours if you need it. TRY TO GUESS WHERE I FOUND IT...

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 04:10 PM   #6

Modified Ball Stud

I ended up having to turn the threaded end down, drilled out a piece of M8 set screw and pressed the set screw to the turned down shaft. Then some weld and a clean up on the lather and presto. I've got a part that shoudl work. I'll know more tomorrow.
My back up plan is that i've ordered some shelf item 13mm ball studs. they should work.

Did anyone else get a short stud from the stealer?
Old 11-03-2006, 04:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawfordt
I ended up having to turn the threaded end down, drilled out a piece of M8 set screw and pressed the set screw to the turned down shaft. Then some weld and a clean up on the lather and presto. I've got a part that shoudl work. I'll know more tomorrow.
My back up plan is that i've ordered some shelf item 13mm ball studs. they should work.

Did anyone else get a short stud from the stealer?

The factory Ball Pin from the dealer cost me i think about 10 or 11 bucks. I have a spare now that i found the original... Since no one guessed where i found it, ill just say, I removed my plastic mud gaurd from the fender and there is was, craddled in the mud guard.

It has about 10 threads on it which is how many the new one i bought has, Its still in good working condition, you just need the nut for it.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
Old 11-03-2006, 04:55 PM   #8

And for you hopelessly geeky boxster owner that cant stop buying Star Wars toys.

The Ball Pin is exactly shoulder height to my Lego Darth Vader keychain.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance