Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2021, 10:57 AM   #1

2.5 Boxster Tune/ header Improvements or Dyno numbers?

Does anyone have 2.5 Boxster Tune/ header Improvements or Dyno numbers?

FOr classing have to stick with the @.5 and seeing how I can pull a little more power out of it

the5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 06:39 PM   #2

Underdrive pulley and 74mm throttle body from 1999 996 will get you a bit more noticeable gain, less belt noise and more intake noise too, what I did on mine.
1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Ben’s short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, hardtop and speedster humps, daily driver rain or shine or snow!
Boxstard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 12:38 PM   #3

Since you want it to be legal in its class, ask the racers in that class. By all means AOS, deep sump with baffles, suspension updates before worrying about power. You want reliability and handling first for your safety. Once your ability has been tested to the max, then worry about power/speed.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 07:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxstard View Post
Underdrive pulley and 74mm throttle body from 1999 996 will get you a bit more noticeable gain, less belt noise and more intake noise too, what I did on mine.
When you went up to a 74mm TB, was the dme able to compensate or did you need a 996 flash?

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
Old 05-02-2021, 08:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post
When you went up to a 74mm TB, was the dme able to compensate or did you need a 996 flash?

Plug and play, no messing around with DME. Runs great!
1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Ben’s short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, hardtop and speedster humps, daily driver rain or shine or snow!
Old 05-04-2021, 08:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Plug and play, no messing around with DME. Runs great!
That's really interesting. When I went up to 82mm the dme could not adjust, not even close.

Old 05-04-2021, 04:48 PM   #7

Quote:
That's really interesting. When I went up to 82mm the dme could not adjust, not even close.

Maybe because your car had e-throttle, not cable-throttle as mine?
Old 05-05-2021, 07:39 AM   #8

Did you have to go to the IPD plenum with a 74mm? Could one just swap the OEM 996 plenum and 74mm in the 986?
2ata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 08:23 AM   #9

Quote:
Maybe because your car had e-throttle, not cable-throttle as mine?
That's an interesting point, it's certainly possible. I think though there is probably just an upper limit (like with fuel trims) as to how much they can adjust and my guess is it's somewhere between the capacity of a 74 and 82 mm TB.

Old 05-05-2021, 08:34 AM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ata View Post
Did you have to go to the IPD plenum with a 74mm? Could one just swap the OEM 996 plenum and 74mm in the 986?
That's what I did on mine, I have another set i'll sell .
Old 05-05-2021, 08:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
That's what I did on mine, I have another set i'll sell .
The 996 should fit a 74 no problem. There are different style plenums for the 996 though (cable vs ethrottle) and you may need to do a bit of work to make them match up. I did this on my build (ethrottle tb cable plenum)

Old 05-05-2021, 08:52 AM   #12

Quote:
The 996 should fit a 74 no problem. There are different style plenums for the 996 though (cable vs ethrottle) and you may need to do a bit of work to make them match up. I did this on my build (ethrottle tb cable plenum)

I just put the IPD and 82mm on the 996 so I have the factory plenum and 74 just sitting here.

They're off an '02 would be going to my '01 986
2ata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 05:16 PM   #13

Quote:
That's an interesting point, it's certainly possible. I think though there is probably just an upper limit (like with fuel trims) as to how much they can adjust and my guess is it's somewhere between the capacity of a 74 and 82 mm TB.

I thought the tube ID at MAF is 74mm so it’s the bottleneck if you use a bigger TB.
Old 05-09-2021, 05:32 PM   #14

Quote:
I thought the tube ID at MAF is 74mm so it’s the bottleneck if you use a bigger TB.
You are correct. I completely forgot about it until you mentioned it but I also went up to a larger maf housing size, 3.25 or 3.5 inches (Don't remember off the top of my head but I think it was the TB for a 4.4l bmw v8) when I redid my intake. In retrospect, the dme's problem was probably moreso that than the 82mm TB.

Last edited by ike84; 05-09-2021 at 05:35 PM.
ike84 is offline   Reply With Quote