Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical chat

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2021, 10:57 AM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: NJ
Posts: 21
2.5 Boxster Tune/ header Improvements or Dyno numbers?

Does anyone have 2.5 Boxster Tune/ header Improvements or Dyno numbers?

FOr classing have to stick with the @.5 and seeing how I can pull a little more power out of it

the5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 06:39 PM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 419
Underdrive pulley and 74mm throttle body from 1999 996 will get you a bit more noticeable gain, less belt noise and more intake noise too, what I did on mine.
__________________
1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Benís short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, daily driven shine or snow.
Boxstard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 12:38 PM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sanford NC
Posts: 2,451
Since you want it to be legal in its class, ask the racers in that class. By all means AOS, deep sump with baffles, suspension updates before worrying about power. You want reliability and handling first for your safety. Once your ability has been tested to the max, then worry about power/speed.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 07:15 PM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: KY
Posts: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxstard View Post
Underdrive pulley and 74mm throttle body from 1999 996 will get you a bit more noticeable gain, less belt noise and more intake noise too, what I did on mine.
When you went up to a 74mm TB, was the dme able to compensate or did you need a 996 flash?

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
__________________
2000 Box Base, currently undergoing renegade modifications
When the owners manual says that the laws of physics can't be broken by this car, I took it as a challenge...
ike84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 08:17 PM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post
When you went up to a 74mm TB, was the dme able to compensate or did you need a 996 flash?

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
Plug and play, no messing around with DME. Runs great!
__________________
1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Benís short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, daily driven shine or snow.
Boxstard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 08:40 AM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: KY
Posts: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxstard View Post
Plug and play, no messing around with DME. Runs great!
That's really interesting. When I went up to 82mm the dme could not adjust, not even close.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
__________________
2000 Box Base, currently undergoing renegade modifications
When the owners manual says that the laws of physics can't be broken by this car, I took it as a challenge...
ike84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 04:48 PM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post
That's really interesting. When I went up to 82mm the dme could not adjust, not even close.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
Maybe because your car had e-throttle, not cable-throttle as mine?
__________________
1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Benís short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, daily driven shine or snow.
Boxstard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 07:39 AM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Michigan
Posts: 88
Did you have to go to the IPD plenum with a 74mm? Could one just swap the OEM 996 plenum and 74mm in the 986?
2ata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 08:23 AM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: KY
Posts: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxstard View Post
Maybe because your car had e-throttle, not cable-throttle as mine?
That's an interesting point, it's certainly possible. I think though there is probably just an upper limit (like with fuel trims) as to how much they can adjust and my guess is it's somewhere between the capacity of a 74 and 82 mm TB.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
__________________
2000 Box Base, currently undergoing renegade modifications
When the owners manual says that the laws of physics can't be broken by this car, I took it as a challenge...
ike84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 08:34 AM   #10
Registered User
 
BYprodriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: O.C. CA
Posts: 3,681
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ata View Post
Did you have to go to the IPD plenum with a 74mm? Could one just swap the OEM 996 plenum and 74mm in the 986?
That's what I did on mine, I have another set i'll sell .
__________________
OE engine rebuilt,3.6 litre LN Engineering billet sleeves,triple row IMSB,LN rods. Deep sump oil pan with DT40 oil.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 08:48 AM   #11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: KY
Posts: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
That's what I did on mine, I have another set i'll sell .
The 996 should fit a 74 no problem. There are different style plenums for the 996 though (cable vs ethrottle) and you may need to do a bit of work to make them match up. I did this on my build (ethrottle tb cable plenum)

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
__________________
2000 Box Base, currently undergoing renegade modifications
When the owners manual says that the laws of physics can't be broken by this car, I took it as a challenge...
ike84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 08:52 AM   #12
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Michigan
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post
The 996 should fit a 74 no problem. There are different style plenums for the 996 though (cable vs ethrottle) and you may need to do a bit of work to make them match up. I did this on my build (ethrottle tb cable plenum)

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
I just put the IPD and 82mm on the 996 so I have the factory plenum and 74 just sitting here.

They're off an '02 would be going to my '01 986
2ata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 05:16 PM   #13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post
That's an interesting point, it's certainly possible. I think though there is probably just an upper limit (like with fuel trims) as to how much they can adjust and my guess is it's somewhere between the capacity of a 74 and 82 mm TB.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
I thought the tube ID at MAF is 74mm so itís the bottleneck if you use a bigger TB.
__________________
1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Benís short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, daily driven shine or snow.
Boxstard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 05:32 PM   #14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: KY
Posts: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxstard View Post
I thought the tube ID at MAF is 74mm so itís the bottleneck if you use a bigger TB.
You are correct. I completely forgot about it until you mentioned it but I also went up to a larger maf housing size, 3.25 or 3.5 inches (Don't remember off the top of my head but I think it was the TB for a 4.4l bmw v8) when I redid my intake. In retrospect, the dme's problem was probably moreso that than the 82mm TB.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

__________________
2000 Box Base, currently undergoing renegade modifications
When the owners manual says that the laws of physics can't be broken by this car, I took it as a challenge...

Last edited by ike84; 05-09-2021 at 05:35 PM.
ike84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page