Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2006, 08:14 AM   #1

Jacked up???

How is everyone getting their car up on 4 jack stands? I've been jacking up using the jacking "nubs" and placing the jack stands in what appears to be a sturdy location. I did some searching and it isn't clear to me where we should be placing jack stands after we've lifted the car up at the jacking points?

Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 08:44 AM   #2

The Bentley manual shows some alternate jack points... the front ones are just forward and inboard from the factory ones, and the rear is in the center on the rear axle support crossmember.

I have 4 jackstands that I've modified by welding a flat plate on the tops, then a 1 inch long piece of pipe sticking up in the center. I cut a piece of rubber that fits down over the pipe, and I ended up with jackstands that plug into the factory jack points.

I use the factory jack to lift one side high enough to get my floor jack with a short piece of 2x6 (to spread the load) at the Bentley jack point, then lift it up and place the first jackstand on that side. The other front side is now high enough to go at it with just the floor jack.

With both fronts up in the air, the floor jack goes under the car to the center rear point between the rear wheels. Up the rear end goes, and the rear jackstands are placed. That's it.
JackG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 05:04 PM   #3

I lift the front driver's side by using the rear jacking point and put the stand under the front jacking point. I go to the passenger's side and do the same thing lifting it a little higher and putting the stand under the front jacking point. Next, I go back to the driver's side and lift it from the rear jacking point to match the height of the passenger's side. Finally I lift the rear from the cross member mentioned before and put the last two jack stands under the jacking points.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 06:54 PM   #4

More jacking theory:

http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5537

98Boxster98 is offline   Reply With Quote